Making Yan Lo Work [Beginner Help Thread]

IntereoVivo

Hello all. Thanks to the fine folks of Wyrd making Yan Lo's box set available this weekend I thought I'd start a thread exploring how to make the old man smash face. I have yet to play any games with him as the models are still in the mail but I have done a fair amount of thinking about what I'm going to do once they arrive.

First, some questions for people who may have proxied him and his crew.

1) Is Yan Lo a support Master or a beat-stick Master?

2) Which path is best?

3) Is the Soul Porter worth it's two points? I'm assuming that the Weight of Ages/Soul Cage/Spirit Barrage trick is why anyone runs the Porter but is it actually worth the cost when you could, say, give Izamu or Tosh or Yin +2 Armor?

3) Can Yan Lo be run with 1 or fewer Ancestors? Or does that hurt his abilities too much?

4) Is the Niece all that helpful in a Yan Lo crew? What about Yin? Both seem like they would be more helpful with other Resser masters.

5) What minions will you be playing with Yan Lo?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And now for some thoughts on Yan Lo:

Holy beat-stick Batman! With Bone(4) + Spirit(2) Yan Lo could kill a model he is engaged with, Weight of the Ages someone else, Charge them and still make two extra strikes. With enough high Rams he can make 4 Khakkhara strikes and 4 Spirit Barrage strikes (at everyone within 2"). At minimum on one target that is 16 dmg (assuming no relics on him at the time) and still leaves him with a Spell and a Zero. If you can put wounds on a couple of the enemy's models he has the potential to kill a lot of models within an 18" area. When you add that to Izamu and Toshiro there is a lot of potential to cause death. On the other hand, if you focus on Ash + Spirit you can set up an extremely stable support master.

However, this is all offset by the fact that Yan Lo and his minions are expensive and will be out activated by most crews. Thankfully, they hit hard enough and have enough mobility that dropping your opponent to a few models shouldn't take too long.

Yan Lo also has some interesting potential as a TT master (Tosh/Ashigaru/Archers/Ototo) but this thread will be about him as a Resser. I'm musing on the possibilities of a list something like:

Yan Lo (3SS/3Chi)

Soul Porter (2)

Izamu (10)

Yin (8)

7x Canine Remains (14)

Turn 1 Yin/Izamu each kill Canine Remains giving Yan Lo the Chi and dropping corpse counters. Then Yan Lo kills the last two, getting up to 10 Chi by the end of Turn 1 and picks up the corpse counters for summoning later. That's two paths at Level 3 or one at 4, one at 2, and one at 1. The rest of the game is played at low model count but you can pretty much just throw yourself at your opponent with wild abandon since you have 7 corpse counters for re-summoning Yin/Izamu and Yan Lo will murder just about anything he comes across.

You could also run a more stable version with Datsue Ba (for Gaki + Chi from dogs) and some Night Terrors (speed and anti Ranged) instead of Yin and a Dog.

Anyway, lots to think about. I'm excited to try him out.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if your killing dogs just for Chi and the corpse counters you are putting yourself at a disadvantage. Each dog costs 2ss to hire, where Yan can grab a Chi directly (up to 3?) for 1 ss per chi taken from his ss pool. Keep in mind that all the Ancestors drop their own corpse counters (I believe, Yin may not, I would need to check). This should alleviate most of the need to grab corpse counters early for summoning.

I might buy into the idea of using dogs/desp-mercs with Datsuba to grab Gaki from each kill and grabbing Chi that way. In that scenario your exchanging the 2ss model for a more expensive model.

My worry is that I do not believe Yan on full chi can effectively take on the bulk of an opposing crew. Between losing out on activation control and support from other models, it would worry me to face most other crews.

The 14 points your putting into dogs I could see being used to bulk up his crew and capabilities. A lot will depend on the strategies you are playing to determine what to hire in place of the dogs.

I would think the sweet spot is 2 cheap models and possibly use Datsu to turn them into more expensive models. This would gain Yan 2 chi while not losing out on activation order or models in the crew.

As for the priority of where to place my Chi, I am not sure yet. I need to get a handful of games in with him to really figure that out. At an initial look, I am thinking my order would end up being:

• Ash level 1
  • Ash level 2
  • Spirit level 1
  • Ash level 3
  • Spirit 2
  • Spirit 3

Bone looks really cool to me, but a lot would depend on how close I am to combat.

I've played one game with my proxy crew and my husband has played two. So far the main things I've noted about the crew in general is that they have really good synergy together.

The Soul Porter was definately worth the 2 pts as I used his push ability (sorry doing this from memory) every turn since the crew is so slow. I also used him to cast Yan's healing spell as well.

Chiaki is good for her heal each activation, but the model has to be within 2". But that's another thing about the crew-for a lot of the really cool stuff to work, they need to stay close together. She also has her cleanse spirits ability which is going to allow you to get rid of poison, paralyzed, slow, etc. So worth it!!

The boys (izamu and Toshiro) are good together as well as one of them has a buff for models within 4" (again doing this from memory) that I used for the others melee that made him a beast. Add that to izamu being object 2 (hardly anything hits) and Toshiro HTW 2, and they're around awhile.

The Ashigaru were a little more iffy. I liked them but only if they're close enough to get the buffs they need from the ancestors. And if they die make sure it's within range of Toshiro so he gets his conflict tokens to bring them or PZ's back.

In my game I didn't use Yan for much more than support but I can see some good potential from him. His ranged spell is cool, he can heal and he gets more awesome as stuff happens in the game and as you go up the paths. I liked boosting his defense and then damage in the game we played, but it was a "killy" scenario.

I look forward to playing him more and maybe trying other models as well. I'll probably keep playing him as a Resser as well.

Hope you have fun with him!

Hello all. Thanks to the fine folks of Wyrd making Yan Lo's box set available this weekend I thought I'd start a thread exploring how to make the old man smash face. I have yet to play any games with him as the models are still in the mail but I have done a fair amount of thinking about what I'm going to do once they arrive.

2) Which path is best?

3) Is the Soul Porter worth it's two points? I'm assuming that the Weight of Ages/Soul Cage/Spirit Barrage trick is why anyone runs the Porter but is it actually worth the cost when you could, say, give Izamu or Tosh or Yin +2 Armor?

3) Can Yan Lo be run with 1 or fewer Ancestors? Or does that hurt his abilities too much?

4) Is the Niece all that helpful in a Yan Lo crew? What about Yin? Both seem like they would be more helpful with other Resser masters.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And now for some thoughts on Yan Lo:

Holy beat-stick Batman! With Bone(4) + Spirit(2) Yan Lo could kill a model he is engaged with, Weight of the Ages someone else, Charge them and still make two extra strikes. With enough high Rams he can make 4 Khakkhara strikes and 4 Spirit Barrage strikes (at everyone within 2"). At minimum on one target that is 16 dmg (assuming no relics on him at the time) and still leaves him with a Spell and a Zero. If you can put wounds on a couple of the enemy's models he has the potential to kill a lot of models within an 18" area. When you add that to Izamu and Toshiro there is a lot of potential to cause death. On the other hand, if you focus on Ash + Spirit you can set up an extremely stable support master.

However, this is all offset by the fact that Yan Lo and his minions are expensive and will be out activated by most crews. Thankfully, they hit hard enough and have enough mobility that dropping your opponent to a few models shouldn't take too long.

Yan Lo also has some interesting potential as a TT master (Tosh/Ashigaru/Archers/Ototo) but this thread will be about him as a Resser. I'm musing on the possibilities of a list something like:

Yan Lo (3SS/3Chi)

Soul Porter (2)

Izamu (10)

Yin (8)

7x Canine Remains (14)

Turn 1 Yin/Izamu each kill Canine Remains giving Yan Lo the Chi and dropping corpse counters. Then Yan Lo kills the last two, getting up to 10 Chi by the end of Turn 1 and picks up the corpse counters for summoning later. That's two paths at Level 3 or one at 4, one at 2, and one at 1. The rest of the game is played at low model count but you can pretty much just throw yourself at your opponent with wild abandon since you have 7 corpse counters for re-summoning Yin/Izamu and Yan Lo will murder just about anything he comes across.

You could also run a more stable version with Datsue Ba (for Gaki + Chi from dogs) and some Night Terrors (speed and anti Ranged) instead of Yin and a Dog.

Anyway, lots to think about. I'm excited to try him out.

1) yes to both. He begins as a support master; by the time you upgrade path of bone he becomes one hell of a beater too. when he's got level 4 in bone he has the potential to put out more damage in a single activation than both vikkies.

2)all the paths are good. It really depends on what you are looking to do though; generally I like to start with going up to level 2 in ash, followed by up to lvl 3 in spirit, as both of those choices really enhance the survivability of Yan Lo.

3) The soul porter is one of the most useful totems in the game - and it's all down to his (1) spell to push an ancestor their walk. That, combined with link, makes him awesome. Anything else is just gravy.

4) Both the niece and Yin are very much worth their points. The niece is the best support piece in the game, while yin is very good as well. Saying that, both are also very viable with other resser masters.

5) Yan lo can run a variety of different things and be viable. I think Izamu, toshiro, soul porter, and ashigaru to taste is a good idea, but it's just one of many different things that work well for him.

While killing dogs for chi / corpses is an ok idea, I wouldnt say it's all that good an idea; you would be better off putting the points into models that will kill *enemy* models as fast, and just be slightly more careful with Yan in early turns.

Even using Datsu is not all that good a proposition, as you really want to keep your crows for toshiro or yan, rather than using them to go for gaki/ onryo.

I'll have to eco the "farming the dogs" is not a good idea trend. You don't have any real urgency to go up the paths, if you want to go the pack route, have your enemy be the one forced to kill your dogs and gather the chi without blowing your own resources into it.

I've only proxied him once but what I did notice is that his crew moves like a pack and that they can be stupid fast, but you have to be careful since Yan Lo doesn't benefit from all of those tricks, at least till he becomes a spirit.

Path wise, I like to start with spirit since the added mobility from flight and extra move gives him a nice edge to be where he wants to be, but we played with some buildings, so it is table dependant and also, being a spirit was a benefit since though there were magic weapons, they weren't on the master (lady J).

Chiaki was a tad underwhelming but I didn't feel the need to do her non living push, and my enemy crew was all living, so her other tricks didn't mean much, she did cleanse a slow on a summoned Izamu which is always nice.

Toshiro gains reckoning counters at a much better rate than I thought, if he keeps relatively close to Izamu they'll just keep on coming and Izamu is a beast, specially if being able to revive him.

The soul porter is worth gold simply because of Empower ancestor which lets you do kiting tactics with your ancestors, like for example doing a companion chain between Yan Lo, the soul porter and Izamu, sending Izamu in to wreck face and then using the soul porter to help him walk out to a better possition. Companion on Yan Lo I must state that it is outright brutal and lets him do some amazing tricks.

Ashigaru are very solid, yes, they have to be close to Toshiro, but their wall of steel becomes outright hell for a lot of models, my opponent didn't even bother going in there except with Lady J who knew she could stone it if it became a problem, but it keeps melee crews that move the old fashion way honest.

Yan Lo himself mostly just supported from a distance with his damage spell, reviving and making everything a spirit (amazing spell, though you have to be careful), caused companion chains and did some hit and run, though I did max out spirit (revenge of the yomi is pure pain if you pull it off) and when I started going up in the Bone branch he went out to clonk disperse pieces on the head.

I think Yan Lo can survive on only one ancestor, but that means you expect to have his paths do most of the talking, without an ancestor it's outright pointless though. At the moment I still haven't thought of resser models that aren't allowed to him in his ten thunders crew, though a rotten belle should always be useful or maybe even go crazy and have dead rider and izamu be together and bringing pain, still a lot to experiment with him. As a Ten Thunder master, an archer seems like a grand idea or a Torakage to help him move faster with his crew or hell, yamaziko to give you an extra heal in there to make the list even more tanky.

Anyway, I gave a spin to his pull my finger entry so most of my ramblings are in a more organized form there.

I do not see why "Dog Killing " should be viewed any different for Yan Lo than for Nicodem or McMourning.

What strategy and schemes?

Shared Claim Jump you say? Well slow my britches down and give me corpses and chi turn 1!

Shared plant Evidence, with breakthrough and stake a claim? What ya doin' putzing around in your deployment zone all of turn one, boy?!?

Discussing game builds and your approaches without framing them in the context of strats and schemes just empowers new players to continue thinking this game is like the rest as they try to build all-comers lists and always do the same things every game... It ignores half the awesomeness of Malifaux, IMO.

Edited by Gruesome

I do not see why "Dog Killing " should be viewed any different for Yan Lo than for Nicodem or McMourning.

What strategy and schemes?

Shared Claim Jump you say? Well slow my britches down and give me corpses and chi turn 1!

Not to speak for anyone else, I was simply looking at Dog killing not being viable in any circumstance. This is due to the "diminishing return" on spending 2ss for a model to get 1 chi. I am not sure 2ss/chi is worth the exchange, especially when you add in AP to make the exchange.

Thats why I mentioned Datsu with dogs/merc's. Exchanging a 2ss model for a 3ss or 5ss model plus gaining a chi seems worth it to me.

Only time I actually see dogplowing to actually be worth it with Yan Lo is if you are playing a 2 master game with Nicodem/Kirai, without that I just don't see the point. It's not like you need the corpses (ancestors drop enough corpses to revive them at a decent life just by themselves) and it's not like McMourning who gets a ton out of a couple of pups or Nicodem who outright needs them to be able to have his survival mechanism active.

Sure, you can take the dogs, but seems like a better plan to have the enemy nuke them instead of you in almost all instances. The Datsue Ba suggestion is also a sound one too though, but still, no more than 2 dogs so as to not waste granny's time more than necessary.

I hadn't considered taking dogs with Yan before really, but I don't think I would take a lot. Like Nix is saying, you want to be able to hire models and most of these guys are expensive. Very much worth it I think, so that's where I'd put the stones.

I used Chiaki, Toshiro, Izamu, Soul Porter and 2 Ashigaru with Yan Lo in my game. I may try some 10T models at some point as I get more familiar with him, but start with Resser models as I know them better right now.

Not to speak for anyone else, I was simply looking at Dog killing not being viable in any circumstance. This is due to the "diminishing return" on spending 2ss for a model to get 1 chi. I am not sure 2ss/chi is worth the exchange, especially when you add in AP to make the exchange.

Thats why I mentioned Datsu with dogs/merc's. Exchanging a 2ss model for a 3ss or 5ss model plus gaining a chi seems worth it to me.

I did not recall Toshiro's ability correctly. He only gets conflict tokens when your models are killed by enemy and only from punks and ashigaru.

My assumption all along was that 8SS buys me 4 Chi and two punk zombies. I retract my thoughts on it for now as Datsu, so far, seems like the only dog killing worth while.

I did not recall Toshiro's ability correctly. He only gets conflict tokens when your models are killed by enemy and only from punks and ashigaru.

My assumption all along was that 8SS buys me 4 Chi and two punk zombies. I retract my thoughts on it for now as Datsu, so far, seems like the only dog killing worth while.

Tosh gets a token for friendly undead inflicting wounds on enemy models, so you get chi from killing dogs but that is it.

---------- Post added at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

I’ve played about a half dozen games with a Yan Lo proxy crew and I have to say I am largely in the camp of "the strat dictates the crew" so with that being said

1) Is Yan Lo a support Master or a beat-stick Master? Yan is a swiss army knife, between the paths and his regular abilities, Yan can fill multiple roles.

2) Which path is best? This depends entirely on what you are trying to accomplish (strat/scheme) but Spirit and Ash provide the greatest benefit early in the game.

3) Is the Soul Porter worth it's two points? I'm assuming that the Weight of Ages/Soul Cage/Spirit Barrage trick is why anyone runs the Porter but is it actually worth the cost when you could, say, give Izamu or Tosh or Yin +2 Armor? – Porter cannot give +2 armor, only one I know that can do that is the grave spirit. All that aside, if anything the porter is undercosted. Link, Magic extension with a built in crow, and the extra movement he gives to an ancestor is worth the 2 points. The other ability and action can make getting Yan Lo’s master specific scheme almost a certainty.

4) Can Yan Lo be run with 1 or fewer Ancestors? Sure he can, ancestors are bonuses to your crew and to Yan when they die, but they are by no means required. Refer to question 1.

5) Is the Niece all that helpful in a Yan Lo crew? What about Yin? Both seem like they would be more helpful with other Resser masters. I haven’t used Yin yet but I can say Chiaki is so full of WIN! Chiaki does so much for a Yan Lo crew that I almost consider a default choice in nearly every crew. The HUGE downside is when Chiaki get’s obeyed as I found out last night….shivers…

6) What minions will you be playing with Yan Lo? Again this really depends on the strat/scheme. Things I would love to try would be Wastrels, Traps, and Tokerage.

Yan's book 4 models provide you with an incredible tool box to work with as a 10T or a resser. One of the biggest issues with them is “too much shiny”. All the ancestors are 8+ SS except Chiaki. In a 35 SS crew you are likely looking at taking maybe 2 or 3 ancestors. Add to this the relative need to keep them bunched up to get the most out of them can make a Yan Lo ancestor crew one of the most finesse style crews I have ever played. Nearly every special ability, has a range of 2, 4, 6, or 8 in and that can get to the point where it is easy to trip over your own crew. It can be awesome when you get all the synergies to line up but honestly it can be a pain trying to get them all going at the same time.

I think dog lists have their place but I still subscribe to the notion of get some use out of them by hitting the enemy not yourself. Dogs are great for a 1-2 punch combo, so get Tosh in combat and Yan or Chiaki within range for Abosrb Chi, then charge the dogs in. This is a great way to rack up tokens and chi. That being said I would only take 2-4 max.

My final thoughts are this, to get the most out of Yan Lo requires a degree of finesse, thinking a few moves in advance, and pure aggression on the table. I am nowhere near mastering this guy but that's my 2 cents...

One of the big problems with a mass dog kill list is that, in his way, Yan Lo is actually the most limited summoner in the entire faction. If you get a bunch of extra counters (or spirits for Kirai) ready to go, they can effectively trade activations and cards for increasing their model count. Yan Lo can't do that. He can only summon things BACK onto the table that were previously killed.

While Nix makes a great point about the dog killing list being diminishing returns (on a general basis), I have to agree with Gruesome that it depends more on what your wanting to accomplish. I have no problem with doing killing a lot of my own models early if the game dictates that it would be beneficial.

What needs to be taken into account is how to increase the returns and get your points worth. In someone like aNicodem's case, he can easily turn 7 dogs into nearly double that worth of stones on the table. But he's a outlying case. Even with Kirai, I'll only take a canine and desperate merc, and with McMourning I'll take a single canine. You have to look at what they can do with the resources and be useful.

Understanding that, Yan Lo can't use the corpses except to summon more Ancestors IIRC (someone correct me if I'm wrong), so he has no use for them until after one of the Ancestors has died and dropped it's corpses. (Yes, Yin drops corpses). So if you truly feel that you need Chi at the beginning of the game, take the 1 stone = 1 chi option over the dog, its more bang for your buck. The only time I would consider bringing the dogs with Yan Lo for killing turn 1, is if my opponent has Contain Power as his strategy AND I already had the 3 Chi from stones AND still had points left over to spend (so probably not going to happen).

2) Which path is best?

1) He's both, it depends on where you put the chi. with 0 chi he is a midflield ranged support master

2) No. All are about equal.

3) Yes, free pushes for ancestors is really good, and he can help keep what was on Chikai in the game.

4) 1-2. Chikai with him at least in every list. Izamu for when crap needs dying. Toshiro when you need to brick up, Yin when you need to control the enemy via terrifying and anathema. (make them run away) 2 of his ancestors are 8 points and one is 10, so if you put in three thats already a huge point sink.

5) Just look at what chikai can do and tell me why you wouldnt put her in a list lol.

6) I'll only be playing him as 10T, so 10T stuff along with punks, and onryo.

Have to heavily disagree with abraxus04 about the no ancestor thing. Without an ancestor Yan Lo loses the use of 2 spells (one of them being the all important resurrect), 4 Talents and his main offensive spell is utterly limited in scope. If by some chance you feel to do a strategy where you'd rather not use any ancestor, you are better off bringing any other of our masters most time, because with Yan it's just a lot of wasted potential.

I fell 1 ancestor is doable (though I'd go to one of the heavy duty ancestors if I'm going this route) but 2 is the most recommended though 3 seems to work better than I expected (chiaki better be one of them).

What I can see fielding is a couple of ancestors and then good non undead models in ten thunder crews. Trascend the spirit does lose power but he does keep the rest of his tools and ancestors like Yin and Izamu mostly do their own thing, Toshiro helps anything hit better (though he will suffer to get reckoning tokens) and Chiaki is just pure utility for any crew.

3) Is the Soul Porter worth it's two points? I'm assuming that the Weight of Ages/Soul Cage/Spirit Barrage trick is why anyone runs the Porter but is it actually worth the cost when you could, say, give Izamu or Tosh or Yin +2 Armor? – Porter cannot give +2 armor, only one I know that can do that is the grave spirit. All that aside, if anything the porter is undercosted. Link, Magic extension with a built in crow, and the extra movement he gives to an ancestor is worth the 2 points. The other ability and action can make getting Yan Lo’s master specific scheme almost a certainty.

I think he knows the Porter can't give Armor 2... What he's asking is the Porter better as a totem than the Grave Spirit. Is it better to have the movement from the Porter, or the Armor from the Grave Spirit? At least that's the impression I got from reading his post.

I think he knows the Porter can't give Armor 2... What he's asking is the Porter better as a totem than the Grave Spirit. Is it better to have the movement from the Porter, or the Armor from the Grave Spirit? At least that's the impression I got from reading his post.

Fair enough, just wasn't making any assumptions. If you are taking ancestors then he is worth it, if not then no.

---------- Post added at 08:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 AM ----------

Have to heavily disagree with abraxus04 about the no ancestor thing. Without an ancestor Yan Lo loses the use of 2 spells (one of them being the all important resurrect), 4 Talents and his main offensive spell is utterly limited in scope. If by some chance you feel to do a strategy where you'd rather not use any ancestor, you are better off bringing any other of our masters most time, because with Yan it's just a lot of wasted potential.

I fell 1 ancestor is doable (though I'd go to one of the heavy duty ancestors if I'm going this route) but 2 is the most recommended though 3 seems to work better than I expected (chiaki better be one of them).

What I can see fielding is a couple of ancestors and then good non undead models in ten thunder crews. Trascend the spirit does lose power but he does keep the rest of his tools and ancestors like Yin and Izamu mostly do their own thing, Toshiro helps anything hit better (though he will suffer to get reckoning tokens) and Chiaki is just pure utility for any crew.

Well everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I am new as well to 10T and Ressers, Yan being my only master for either. I looked over his card and and yes you lose 2 spells and 2 abilities tied to ancestors and 1 dg for each ancestor within 3' on a spell. While a detriment I didn't consider that crippling, considering all the potential goals you may be trying to accomplish. If your strat/schemes require you to be spread out, you are already losing much of that potential. The Paths are where I felt I got the most direct benefit to his performance.

Most of the games I played were with only 1 ancestor (Tosh as a result of a beginner tourney a few weeks ago) and honestly I felt I would have done better either with more ancestors or simply not taking them in the first place and concentrating on other things.

In the end all I was really getting at is: "Can you do it?" sure, " Is it optimal? No.

Edited by abraxus04
typos