A big fat Book 5 Speculation thread.

Jonas Albrecht

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pretty safe bet that there'll be Hannah with a different model than the Kickstarter gives IMO.

From the kickstarter:

"Special Edition Malifaux Sculpt - Hannah, Chief Freikorps Archivist: We haven't even released the rules for this model yet, but we are already giving you the opportunity to get an exclusive sculpt of her. "

I'd hope for 10T avatars too.

Honestly, I want to see more special forces. Not sure what I'd want to see for Ten Thunders, as much as I love the new faction, but I think it would be good to see Special Forces expanded out. I really want to see some real love for the Book One Masters, too, especially Rasputina.

Right now my money is on Hannah being a Story Pack model, assuming those are still a thing.

Anyway, these are all wild ass guesses,

Speculations!

Book 5 will be the final Malifaux book of the edition, and will aim at rounding out and completing the various masters. Henchmen will be dealt with in story packs.

No "new" masters, but each faction gets it's own "experienced" dual faction version of an existing master.

Maybe even cross faction minions.

Ten Thunders masters wont get Avatars.

New totems for existing masters.

Edited by Jonas Albrecht

I thought it was confirmed the new masters weren't getting avatars? I can't remember where I heard it, though..

As for speculation, probably the long-lost Special Forces update if anything. We might get a look at those story packs... maybe? (Please)

And not so much to do with the book or rules in general, but I'm still hoping for alt-sculpts of the Book 2 masters. I know there are four Colettes already, but that's not enough! (Besides, I want to see everyone else in plastic eventually too. Just for matching's sake.)

Interesting, if book 5 is the final Malifaux book what comes next?

As the skirmish system is the back bone and life blood of the company what would replace that? Or is there the insinuation that it may branch off somewhere else?

Just curious, I had never thought of an 'end' or 'last book'. Wild conjecture abound!

What would I like to see?

Hoffman Avatar :)

Special forces for sure

More 'generic' totems (multi master - faction)

More mounted masters or units (see steam bikes/gliders below)

Campaign rules (not necessarily progressing models) Easy enough (some say) to make your own...but official ones would be nice.

I don't know how or why...but vehicles! I get this is a skirmish game blah blah blah, but smaller DaVinci style gliders, steam powered bikes, clockwork tanks! (OK, too much) But how about a canon team? (we have pigapults).

UNICORNS! :)

Ahhhh, fevered dreams...

Malifaux 2e would be next.

Don't think so. Releasing 1.5 would make 0 Sense if they had 2.0 incoming that soon. would be wasted efforts and resources and they are not the kind of company to do so... 1.5 is actually not so old in the end... so i expect a 2.0 (if ever) not to be bound for the next 2 years. And with the RPG and several other irons in the fire i guess we will see no new Book. i think we will see special forces mini expansions and story encounters and such.

I don't think book 5 would be an "end book". IMO Malifaux is to popular for a small company like Wyrd to end. The other games they have sound fun but honestly I have no desire to be a time nanny (even though it sound funny as all heck). I bet we won't see a book five for a wile because the RPG is being developed. When we do see the inevitable book 5 I want to see more henchmen and minions. There are plenty of masters.........for now 0_<

What I would like to see is a second special force made availible to each faction, and a fleshing out of Horrors. I think each other current henchman has a good selection of minions, but Molly is still very restricted.

I wouldn't object to each new special force appearing in its own starter box with a story inside it, rather than 1 big book connecting them all.

The expected existance of Hannah as a figure this Gencon does make a big book more likely.

My guess would be we will see perhaps a master per faction, but mostly filling out some special forces and maybe a cross faction minion or two per faction as well. Cross faction models are IMO too good an idea to not be used again. Probably mostly focusing on filling out masters that needs a bit of help.

I think mounted/dismounted minions following McCabe.

Also, what has already been mentioned, too: Campaign System would be nice.

Hannah, since she has already been mentioned needs mentioning from my side, too. Her picture in the Kickstarter just makes sense to implement her in the next book.

A new Outcast Master.

---------- Post added at 05:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 AM ----------

too soon?

---------- Post added at 05:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 AM ----------

But seriously

A) "generic" Ten Thunders totem that can be used by all dual-faction Masters.

B) Alternate Sculpts to Book 2 Masters. Book one had their Day. It's time. (yes I understand that has nothing to do with Book 5.)

C) Ten Thunders Henchman

D) Neverborn get broken (even more) lol!

Personaly I guess the following:

Story Encounters - Rounding out the Special Forces, hopefully spring next year, seeing as they were hinted at by Eric prior to Gencon.

Book 5 - Maybe some sort of Minions and Strategy/Scheme expansion?

Depending on the Kickstarter funding we might see some RPG expansion developement start work at back end of next year.

Book 2.0 Sometime in 2014 if not before? - I think the game has got to a fairly matured point and just needs a rule tweek here and there (pre-measuring anyone?), before any more expansions are looked at.

Wyrd can go in any direction it wants from here,

a) Since they published a 1.5 rulebook, they could go for a 1.5 rising powers as well (lots of FAQed stuff from book 2), and it would give a spot for the rule revision of some models (master hamelin, nekima, etc) to be officially printed.

B) There can be a 5th book, as there is still room left to fill with special forces. We already know that a new model for the freikorps will come around, so that's a hint if any. This would allow some development on the fluff and some models (Molly and Nekima get my votes)

c) Then there can be a book 2.0 to collect the rules all over, but i get the feeling there will still be new content before this happens.

I think it'd be interesting if Book 5 rounded out the Ten Thunders (Effigy, Avatars, Henchman), then gave a second round of Avatars and Henchmen for each faction.

While it may have simply been future-proofing, the Avatars I consider a possibility based on the rule for them that requires you to announce that an avatar is attached to your master during crew creation, but not which one specifically (of course, right now it's obvious). Though that could just be wishful thinking or a red herring.

Special Forces being rounded out would be nice as well, but I thought they mentioned they were going to look into expanding their ranks with the 'story encounter packs', but I suppose they could also use Book 5 to condense all that info (model stats and story encounters and whatnot) into one place.

It may be wishful thinking, but I hope Jonas is right about the re-boot and book 5 is the last before Malifaux 2.0.

There is a lot to choose from as it is. I agree that there are some things that need rounding out (like Molly), but really most crews are spoiled for choices considering that you only run 6-10 models (including duplicates) in a game....there are still lots of models that you haven't used.

There are some models you don't use because they under-perform and that is even more of a reason for a 2.0. There would probably be a decent jump in sales if people who have been playing for a couple of years found out they could actually now use Myranda, or an Ice Golem...........so many people have wanted to but know they don't work.....if they do work, people will run out and buy them. I'm sure there haven't been a lot of Marcus or Ramos starter boxes flying off the shelf....but tweak a few models and the dust will come off.

We're also still using older strats and schemes.....everyone knows there are problems with some of them (mainly some of the Master/Faction specific schemes in my opinion) so they could use a re-write.

I don't really like to speculate on what they'll do, they've tricked me every time. "How will they do Avatars so they aren't like epics?"...."Oh, turn into them during the game"....."How will they introduce a new faction that won't feel under-powered to all the established factions?"....."Oh, sprinkle them throughout every faction." (Which I'm still blown away by....that was brilliant).

But I think the game has matured (and left some original things behind) to the point that a re-write is required.

I'm in the camp that 10T won't get Avatars. I could see some more henchmen.....maybe some type of Dual-Faction thing. Not necessarily 10T, I could see a Guild/Arcanist Henchman....the two factions share machines already....or a Neverborn/Rezzer Henchman....maybe using spirits from both factions.

I'd like to see some more generic totems.

I don't know what's going on with the Story Packs. It has been quite some time since we even heard a rumor about them. In the last Gamer's Lounge podcast Mack spoke about who was on the development team - I think he said there were seven.....with those people and so many projects already going on, it seems hard to believe that Story Packs are being worked on.

Which is fine by me, some of what the Packs were going to provide (minions for Henchmen) could easily be folded into the next book if the Packs get put on hold.