Defining Suits

I've been having this discussian since the ill-fated first round of playtesting.

Puppet Wars doesn't have factions, this makes it different to most games and allows it to provide almost unparalleled variety. However, with the role Suits play, together with the five groups (distinguished by the pivotal Masters), there is the need to establish and preserve a certain idenity.

For the most part this is done very well, and links to what we know of the respective Malifaux factions the suits link to. Rams equals combat, Crows equals resilience, masks equals mobility, etc. However, I feel that, with the starter box puppets, there is a flaw in this identity.

The flaw is between Tomes and Suitless. Tomes are all about Upgrades, while Suitless isn't really defined, but rather a lesser, slightly more balanced option. However, I think that Suitless should equal Luck, and impact card draw.

With that in mind, it seems odd then that December Acolyte provides card draw while Rusty Alyce is a better Tome Puppet than even the original ones. I think that Puppets like Convict Gunslinger should retain card based tricks like Puppet Roulette (not necessarily that example) as well as effects like Acolyte's Hunting, while Tome Puppets should gain access to the upgrade related effects like Dissassemble (maybe just make Alyce a Tome?) What Acolyte should get instead I'm not sure, but I think that to ensure that there really is a reason, what with reduced ARs, to balance your suits.

Unstitched Edition or not, I feel that is an element that is key to PW's idenity and depth, and with the starter box it should do everything to clearly establish it.

Carry on stitching!

Edit: P.S. I should also note that I have always loved December Acolyte (he's my crutch) and as a diehard Marcus player (soon my preciousss) I want Tomes to be panda level awesome as much as the next stuffed animal, but I stand by my opinion.

Edited by ThePandaDirector