Who has played a game?

Justin

Haha, the silence is deafening. Incidentally Doctor, if the game does indeed play faster than it did (as I suspect it will) might there be time for a few games? Just wondering if between us we can test out each of the masters and all of the puppets (after all, one game is not enough to make statistically significant observations on).

Sorry to pollute the thread with non-feedback, but I echo the doctor's "can't wait" sentiment

We've played a few games so far but have pretty well stuck with Justice vs Seamus games(all in-suit puppets with two out-of-suit puppets on each side). Can't really say much about the activation requirements because of our choice in master/puppets, it really didn't seem to be a big hurdle to jump in order to animate puppets each round.

We did get to utilize upgrades much more in these games which added some nice spice to the games. The ability to immediately try to attach an upgrade after ripping apart an adjacent enemy puppet was great, however, unless we missed something again, this seems to be the only way to attach enemy upgrades. We liked that the workbenches are no longer needed for attachments in general, but we were thinking that it may be nice to perhaps still be able to stand on an enemy workbench and have access to their scrap heap.

The puppets being streamlined (i.e. stripped of abilities/actions) did actually seem to work pretty well. At first I thought that this loss would result in a lot of bland one-dimensional puppets. But really this didn't seem to bother us at all, they all still did basically what they did before just without all the bells and whistles. I never liked referring to Puppet Wars as 'Malifaux-lite' but I can't help but to think that Puppet Wars Unstitched is to Puppet Wars what Puppet Wars is to Malifaux.

Change to Aces- I don't think we really had any issues with this change. It was a fun, if somewhat confusing to first-timers, feature in the original rules but the change to a straight 1 and double suit seemed to be just fine for us. They were still used successfully to dodge with from time to time, just not quite as uber-good as they used to be.

It may be just the way we play or the puppets we were using but it did seem like it took quite a while for puppets to get torn apart in our games. Not sure if this is a similar experience to others that have played so far. For what its worth though, we did probably have our most epic and fun game of PW with this version. Any game that ends with all puppets torn apart save for Seamus with one stitch and Glowy Claws facing down the Judge and a one stitch Lady Justice is pretty awesome.

Hi folks,

Just played against Doctor Lucky via skype, and I'll give some really quick feedback (I'll maybe do a bit more detail later).

Aces: don't knock them till you've tried them. for one thing, having death marshall, rotten belle, and ronin (with pokey vik) activate on a 1, you can pretty much garauntee (spelt horribly) that you'll go first that activation, which is very cool. Also useful for defense.

Drawing activation cards into hand: all kinds of awesome. You basically have complete control over flow of cards through your hand, so it's easier to set up cunning plans (and foil the opponent's plans).

Lady J's powerful aura: need a bit more investigation, but preliminarily, it seems very, very powerful (slight pun intended)

Seamus's no-dodge aura: again, needs more investigation, but seems pretty good (i'd say maybe not as good as lady j's, but need to play more before I can legitimately make/abandon that statement). Both auras are a good way to make your master really integral to powerful plays (whereas before I found my master lingering at the back trying not to be killed while the other puppets did the heavy lifting).

Austringer: has become very good combined with lady J's powerful aura. If someone got glowy claws on an austringer, it would basically be point and delete. I would happily take an austringer or two if the activation went up to 9 or 10.

Judge: well balanced, pretty easy to activate now, and with the new activation card drawing it's very easy to set up pins and needles.

Ronin: a fast cheap puppet. Didn't really miss any "abilities" etc which were on the previous incarnation.

Attachments: It didn't come up much, but I really like the "instant attachment" thing, when you tear apart a puppet. This means that you have to be really careful who you allow to attack your puppets. For instance I accidentally ended up facing a combat 6 bete noir (after she killed judge). This gives a really nice cost/effect balance when you get stuck in with your hardest puppets, at the risk of your opponent getting their top-notch upgrades.

The game as a whole: fast and furious. It plays a lot more like a boardgame now I think, which I like.

One question which didn't actually come up, but I've just noticed:

Flurry of pointy things the ronin upgrade side. It allows an extra action. Can that action be a repeat of one that has already happened. eg can a puppet attack twice. The name implies that this is the case, but I thought it best to check.

Also I agree with others on the naming of "bath time". It should be something more akin to "steroids"... except a puppet version.

Sorry for typos and general jumbled up thinking, I'm typing fast.... and now I'm gone.

I think that the rules went over quite well. There was a few "oops missed that" moments. My strategy of putting Seamus into the fray backfired quite well when Austringer was in the aura of Lady J.

The game went quick and I can see Workbench victories happen more often.

With the blocking rule gone it is extremely easy to reach your target.

Need to play more! At this point I like the old rules better. Unstitched and version one feel like completely different games.

Had a few more games over the weekend (still just 1 on 1 so far though).

Move stat- Not really seeing the need for the added characteristic since most puppets still move the standard 2 spaces. It may be just as easy to retain the old system of moving 2 as a base stat then including any move changes under the Abilities of the puppet (i.e. Ronin:Ability:This Puppet may move three spaces during an Animation instead of two).

The only real benefit I could see to adding this stat to each puppet card would be if there are already certain Abilities/Actions in the works that are relying on such a stat (maybe something like a Doppleganger that can copy a stat of another puppet).

Guild Austringer- Wow, this guy does seriously kick some butt (with Lady J backing him up) and we've only had one in our games so far, I'd hate to face two or three. I think the Combat of 1 does help balance this power out. I was going to suggest a possible hike (like sssk recommended) in AR by 1 or 2 but I think with any other Master or when he is outside of LJ's buff range the AR is fine as-is. The upgrade is really really good too, I'd put it on par with or even better than Seamus's Hide and Seek.

Moving without taking an Action resulting in no Exhausted is still a good change I think, this coupled with no more Blocking does make for a more mobile game. Still getting used to the absence of Blocking, just a matter of rethinking moves I believe.

Upgrades- It'd still be nice to have access to the opponent's Scrap Heaps in some way other than the immediate action right after tearing up an adjacent Puppet. Would a single Scrap Heap for all players be a little over the top? Attachment Difficulty would apply whether it was your puppet or not but everyone's puppets enter the same Heap and all Puppets can draw from that pool (sorta like stuffing and bits laying all over the floorboards for anyone to pick up).