Ten Thunders Bros Painting Log

WaywardSun13

Ok, it's a New Year and I finally got the TT archers done.

archers_zpsa67c7beb.jpg

archer3_zps2b0677c4.jpg

archer2a_zps068b8a30.jpg

archer1a_zps00148e28.jpg

...and here's the whole crew:

tenthunderscrew_zps0acc2602.jpg

So, now that I have my initial Ten Thunders purchase painted, I'm going to quit dragging my feet and finally paint Misaki. I usually paint the leader first, but this time I figured I'd paint everything else in the starter before.

So coming up next will be Misaki. I just cleaned up my Oiran, and Kang and the Rail Workers will be joining the ranks soon. I also got a Dark Debts boxed set for Christmas, so Lynch and the HD are coming down the pipes eventually. I've found a figure I'm going to proxy for Toshiro from the old Clan War line. Lots coming!

Not sure how I'm going to paint the Oiran yet. Being that they're mercenary/TT and they're geisha, I'm considering painting them in different colors than my core crew.

Thanks for looking!

Edited by WaywardSun13

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brilliant work WaywardSun13 and did you do any research for the Ten Thunders stuff colour scheme wise.

I used to play a lot of L5R, and feudal Japanese history is another hobby of mine, so I glanced at some artwork in history books or old cards I had and came up with the color scheme that way (along w/ using color theory).

Thanks for looking!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I finally got Misaki finished...well at least for now. I may go back and do some OSL off of the energy-streak-thingy...but for now I'm going to leave it.

The crew:

tenthunders-1_zps50e968d7.jpg

Misaki:

misaki1a_zps9e3522ed.jpg

misaki2_zpsa92ce343.jpg

misaki3_zpsb4787e43.jpg

misaki4_zps92413b63.jpg

misaki5_zps79bdda28.jpg

Now that my initial TT crew is finished I'll be moving on to another TT master. I'm thinking of moving on to Lynch/HD next. I've also got a pack of Oiran to paint.

C&C appreciated. Thanks for looking!

Heheh... still do, myself. And Clan War... which is what got me to Malifaux, thinking of Ten Thunders minis as proxies for Clan War things.

A friend of mine keeps trying to get me back into the game. I really liked it, but it was such a drain on my wallet. I guess I prefer pewter/plastic crack to cardboard crack!

I actually picked up a Clan War Kisada that I'm going to proxie as a Toshiro the Daimyo...w/ some slight modification.

I would really appreciate a step-by-step on how you painted Shang. I'm finding that particular model a little intimidating as I have never painted fire before and, well, it is entirely composed of fire! Yours looks really nice, so any hints or tips you can offer would be much appreciated!

- Valtyr

I would really appreciate a step-by-step on how you painted Shang. I'm finding that particular model a little intimidating as I have never painted fire before and, well, it is entirely composed of fire! Yours looks really nice, so any hints or tips you can offer would be much appreciated!

- Valtyr

Perhaps this link from Hot-Lead may assist you with painting fire. I know it helped me out a lot when painting my scratch built Wall of Fire.

Looks great! The colours fit the models very well. Is Misaki wearing white socks? Or is it the light on her flesh? Thought wearing white (sport)socks was fashionmurder, at least, that's what my girlfriend says when I wear them outside the gym. A girl wouldn't wear them, right? :)

Yup. Those are socks, but not like crew socks...like those socks that show up in a lot of drawings of Samurai and such. They're more like slippers. That way she can be all sneaky I suppose. And yup, they're white.

- Valtyr

Sure. I'd love to actually demonstrate it, but currently I don't have anything fire-like to paint. Hopefully words will be enough for now!

--So I primed the figure white. I then grabbed a spectrum of colors from white to red. Every successive highlight was done w/ thin, watered-down highlights gradually spreading out towards the end of each tongue of flame.

The "base color" was a 50/50 mix of white and yellow, and then I gradually worked my way up to a mid-red as the final "highlight." The important thing to remember is to leave a bit of each previous highlight behind. So basically, once you get towards the red end of the spectrum, you shouldn't be adding that much paint. To maintain that initial white/yellow color, I periodically washed the whole figure w/ the initial 50/50 white yellow mix. I figured a lot of this out through trial and error...and it took me a very long time to paint Shang.

I actually painted my Shang 3 times. The first time I tried to just take shortcuts and drybrush each highlight, but the result was sorely disappointing. The second time I went too dark w/ the final highlights, and I elected to redo it. The third time wasn't perfect, but I was happy with the end result.

• 1 month later...

More stuff!

It's been a while, but I'm currently on a research elective (which will hopefully mean cranking out a few more minis this month!).

Here is Mr. Lynch and Kang for your viewing pleasure. I've got my HD finished, but I'm waiting for a base to come in the mail. I'm also waiting for my HD proxie to come in the mail too. I found some minis from the Bushido line that I wanted to use for the Hungering Darkness, Graves, and Tannen, so hopefully they'll be here soon.

Mr. Lynch:

lynch1_zps20605b81.jpg

lynch2_zpsa4b40a54.jpg

Kaaaaannnnnggggg:

kang_zpsf2961f57.jpg

Thanks for looking!