Mei Feng's crew - Too much fun?

Nayte

Malifaux is about mobility. Mei's big mobility tool is railwalking. Railwalking requires constructs (or Railworkers). Ergo, Mei needs constructs.

Marcus is an exception in list building, because all his main abilities are simply things he does for himself. He only really has three abilities that boost beasts:

-He can waste an (0) to get a beast to activate another beast after him (too many other good 0 action/spells.

-He can howl, which boosts nearby beasts and weakens the Wp of nearby enemy models.

-He can heal beasts with a spell that's way too hard to cast.

All his other abilities either boost marcus, turn enemies to beasts, or hurt enemy beasts.

Mei has other nice abilities for sure, but without railwalking, she's something akin to a single vik, which is a nice combat piece, but too slow to dictate the flow of a game like masters should do.

She has a single spell that needs constructs. I understand that brings a lot of mobility to her. Even with out it she is faster than the slow masters such as ramos. I just asked if any one has tried it. Discounting the idea with out trying it is sad i dont own her or i would try it myself

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She has a single spell that needs constructs. I understand that brings a lot of mobility to her. Even with out it she is faster than the slow masters such as ramos. I just asked if any one has tried it. Discounting the idea with out trying it is sad i dont own her or i would try it myself

Well a spell and two triggers. Personally I think Rail Walking is a key component to what she does and you would be putting yourself as a serious disadvantage creating a crew that can't utilize it.

2 things I haven't seen mentioned....they're not related.

On Kang....."You can try"

and on Mei....'Superheat'...nice for slowing people down next turn or getting them ready for extra damage from Mei. It works on any Vent Steam aura within 10", so if the Emberling is always putting one up anyway....and could be Extensioned.

Are the Large Steampunk Arachnids on 40 or 50mm bases?

---------- Post added at 11:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 AM ----------

Are the Large Steampunk Arachnids on 40 or 50mm bases?

please ignore, I found it. They are 50, my old rising powers book says 40 and the change is not listed in the model clarifications.

I'm interested in running her with two coryphee, kaeris, 2 metal gamin(1 attached to her 1 to kaeris), her totem and mei with 6 stones to start out with. It might be low model count 7 but enough constructs to use railworker for movement and 2x steam vents a turn to protect stuff on the approach, the duet I figure will mainly be doing the schemes/strats while she and kaeris due the heavy lifting in regards to model killing.

Also after seeing what her base defense is (1 less than perdita) I really don't understand how people our worried about losing her that easily. Granted it is probably not smart to to toss her into 1/2 a opponents crew but I feel she is respectable enough defense wise to not worry much about 1-2 enemy activations a turn trying to hurt her.

I'm interested in running her with two coryphee, kaeris, 2 metal gamin(1 attached to her 1 to kaeris), her totem and mei with 6 stones to start out with. It might be low model count 7 but enough constructs to use railworker for movement and 2x steam vents a turn to protect stuff on the approach, the duet I figure will mainly be doing the schemes/strats while she and kaeris due the heavy lifting in regards to model killing.

Also after seeing what her base defense is (1 less than perdita) I really don't understand how people our worried about losing her that easily. Granted it is probably not smart to to toss her into 1/2 a opponents crew but I feel she is respectable enough defense wise to not worry much about 1-2 enemy activations a turn trying to hurt her.

Her defense is really good unless you are facing new crews. It feels like there are much more 6+ CB minions and masters in the new book.

Defense 7 their are maybe 15 models in the entire range with that defense or higher out of say close to 100 models total. On top of that she has use ss and cannot be affected by slow. I cannot see how people cannot keep that alive by playing smartly and knowing when to "push all in" with the master when the time comes. In addition to most people actually reserving their ss for defense instead of the wow i got a 25+ on a duel total for a offensive spell gig most players are fond of.

I think people will be tempted to use Mei's SS to try and get her combos off, instead of stockpiling them for defense. Unlike most Melee-centric Masters, she doesn't have Fast or Melee Expert, but Casting Expert. To get extra attacks and damage, she needs her triggers to go off. Even with Arcane Reservoir from the Emberling, the hand only goes so far, and there is the rest of the crew to think of. So I am guessing that SS will be big for Mei. Like, Rasputina-big.

In fact, now that I think of it, a Soulstone Miner sounds like an interesting choice for Mei. It's a fast Construct, with decent melee abilities, that can get her more Stones if she needs them. Gah! More models to buy (not that the Miner wasn't on my list already, anyway).

From what I saw with her she needs mainly only 2 suits to get what looked like the better triggers at a glance she has mask built in to one of her atks so she would only need a book or mask of a 9+ variety to get either of those triggers off.

Don't forget she needs some decent crows(at least one a turn) to get off cool pose and get her Armor up.

Masks are the most important; they trigger most of her extra attacks. If you intend to use Railwalker aggressively, in which case you need tomes. Easily solved with a showgirl (link the mannequin to Mei Feng) or the Toolbox (not so easy).

The Casting Expert is perfect for melee. At the start of the combat you use Seismic Punch with a trigger to get one free strike in addition to your normal strikes. Or you can use it at the end of the activation to railwalk her out of a bad situation.

Player two games with her so far. Love metal Gamin, but they're very slow; the Rail Golem is tremendous if you can keep it standing (metal Gamin are great at this); Railworkers make a rail golem awesome; Kang seems slow and dull.

Still only two games, though. Not sure about including Kaeris as Mei needs the stones to stay alive and hit triggers.

Bah. Knew I was forgetting something. Well, here's the hope that book 5 has a crossdressin showgirl that can bestow that tag on others...

But regardless, it's not too tricky to get masks.

I don't play any of the showgirls and honestly have barely started in on this game, but that comment let my mind run wander off on a variety possibilities for that ranging from Drag Queens to utilizing the 10 Thunders theme to make a Kabuki performer.

Just had my 1st Mei Feng game....

1st thoughs - Mei is great...a little card heavy, but being able to whip in 15+ inches and attempt 2 paired swings with possiable 2nd swipes and possiable positive flips...just keeping all the trigges in mind is part of it. I'm glad I took 8 stones as she burns them sometimes in an attempt to get suits (I needed that tome for the 15") and other times just as offensive master does. If you can hold tomes 7+ particularly for that ket terminus/express line

Kang - frickin' awesome if he can get there....I'll likely be using him more in 10 thunders styled crews when I can try and lure/mistaken ID him further forward...but in a stand up fight and without realy supporting him...he's not worth the 8 stones

Rail workers - mixed fealings, they're definatly good, but I feel the more man then machine will bite them in the backside at some point, they did alright in combat...and I did forget to try shovel faster at key points - IMHO they could do with a natural armour 1 or hard to kill or something to try and keep them alive but thye didn't jump out at me

Metal Gamin...they're not there to deal damage are they - as resiliant 5 stone blockers and maybe dinging a wound or two, well that'd be a lot to pay 5ss for - the annoyance factor of small but fierce if it can ever get used is nice but does play with activation order a little and they can be uprisingly nippy - I can easily see me using 1 or even 2 for key pieces...I like them even if in this game they got side lined. Against fast crews I think they'll be golden

Emberling got zapped turned 2....so no idea - seems a little light but for 2ss I can see many uses

All in all an 8 - 2 victory against Raspy - Relised Kang should have died last turn to the silent ones burst as he'd been on 1 wound otherwise 8 - 0

Think I'd like to try swaping a rail worker and a gamin (had 2 of each) for large steam punks, and the rail golem in instead of Kang....or maybe drop the gamin in that list...tempting as one is a golem doesnt need proecting and Mei is bouncy bouncy so tends to outstip him

And once I get the Misaki box I can experiment with tokaswamping kang into combat and/or repping up the new 10t showgirls to pull him along and play her as 10T instead

Tried Mei Feng too. Biggest thing I noticed is Railwalker is not the amazing mobility tool that gets Mei anywhere I want. If Mei is going there it means one of my guys went there before and I have to have a damn good reason to actually move it there and not just because I want to give Mei a taxi. As for the rest of the pieces, rail workers are great beaters and their versatility when attacking is golden, Kang is a fantastic beater with some solid support tricks specially vs non living. The metal gamin did his work of being an annoyance and the emberling gave me the extra card and that's about it from him. The crew is not the fastest though, but thanks to the vent steams it can get there with relative to no damage on it if played right and bring the pain.

Aside from realizing that the train taxi is not as mobile as theory made me believe, she is fun as hell and her trigger stacking is the funcies.

I think the big thing for railworker/terminus to work is the farthest forward construct has to be sturdy so you can transport the 15". If you use a construct that is not durable the opponent is gonna pour into the lead construct making railworker not great. Depending on the model base size railworker is around a 7-8" per jump needing a card to cast if the farthest forward construct is killed.

That is also the main reason I'm interested in trying the duet or just 2 coryphee with her, yeah they are expensive but they are sturdy if they have activated plus they each have a great walk distance so I believe they could be key in getting the 15" railwalker off to full effect.

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 PM ----------

Bah. Knew I was forgetting something. Well, here's the hope that book 5 has a crossdressin showgirl that can bestow that tag on others...

But regardless, it's not too tricky to get masks.

Don't get me wrong I'd like a model like that. But lets be realistic her the likehood of that happening is almost zero % probability. Cause in addition to having an already strong crew kaeris could freely be added into colette crews with said minion and you'd have her as a showgirl as well. I'm not saying it is impossible but I could definatly see that as being way to strong.

Edited by Odin1981

I think the big thing for railworker/terminus to work is the farthest forward construct has to be sturdy so you can transport the 15". If you use a construct that is not durable the opponent is gonna pour into the lead construct making railworker not great. Depending on the model base size railworker is around a 7-8" walk needing a card to cast if the farthest forward construct is killed.

That is also the main reason I'm interested in trying the duet or just 2 coryphee with her, yeah they are expensive but they are sturdy if they have activated plus they each have a great walk distance so I believe they could be key in getting the 15" railwalker off to full effect.

This could work - you could still run 4 other 5SS mods, workers, gamins or LSPA and walk out with 6 stones at 35 points...no totem mind

Yeah I just picked up the book yesterday and I've been looking threw it and I'm interested in a few things to try out once her boxset + rail golem come out. Off the top of my head I wanna try kang and johan as a tag team (paired cmbt 8 hammerstrikes under the right circumstances anyone:)? ).

Hope I can convince someone to trade a metal gamin to me for my rail guy dudes (probably keep 1 but definatley trade 2 for just one gamin) when gamin come out. So I can try out gamin attached to rail golem with willie and kaeris, student and a emberling with mei (think its around 6-7 stone cache for her in the list).

I think kang can have a home with mei if he is close enough she will be cmbt 7 paired on tigers claw strikes with his +1 cmbt aura up.

I'm still trying to think up a good list with the duet but I'm sure it will happen. I might even run her as 10 thunders due to her rules letting me take good things from arcanist faction as 10 thunders with guild traps so I really might be able to take a turn 1 15-19" jump, swing a time or two (trigger depending) and railwalk back 10-13" (construct base size depending to safety for hit and run schenanagins.

Big thing to me is if she hits certain triggers it says she can do x. But I'm wondering if those actions are considered free? Or if they cost ap when she triggers to get them atm.

Her triggers give free actions - otherwise they would serve no purpose...

I think the true strength of Rail walker will be in retreating to a safer position - Mei can do a lot in a turn, with the right cards and positioning, but a lot of the time, the key to playing her seems to be knowing when you've done enough and you should get back - otherwise, it will be very easy to let her eat both your hand, and your ss pool in a single activation...

Well that's good to know then. I believe if the mei feng player is patient enough then and handsculpt a bit (2 8+ masks, 1 book high enough to get railworker trigger she has sword vik potential).

You can get in and get out with only spending 2 ss's to ensure unbeatable 2" push triggers (her whirlwind) get 2 cards drawn off kills and rail back last ap or if you jackhammer kick get armor 2 to stay stuck in. She potentially could even run similiar to viks (ie elite heavy + 2 desp mercs get the alpha to start activation advantage) and wait out the opponent via outactivation while defending against their schemes and once the protected "good minion" (7+ cost stuff) models the opponents advances send your heavy hitters against them and take them out 1 by one with the easy wound 1 spell to set them up for your hitter models to one shot (barring h2w 2+ stuff or extreme armor) then push forward to do your stuff.

Edited by Odin1981

Tried a box set Mei Feng vs Misaki last night.

My thoughts echo'd those here

I had destroy the evidence and picked the Ten Thuders scheme of 2 dual faction personalities and her own connect the line scheme.

I didn't get a chance to see Kang do very much - Misaki killed him on turn 2 before he could activate. He looked like he might have promise, but is a 4 walk beatstick. I like the potential he offers to living lists with the cb boost, but that plays against Mei's Railwalker spell wanting Constructs. In all honesty I can't truely judge his worth from the game, but he didn't do anythign the Johan or Taelor couldn't have done.

Railworkers were ok. They did well against the tokarage thrown against them. They did nothing to Misaki over several attacks, but were able to take a reasonable beating. Armour 2 defence trigger is certainly a handy use for a low tome. Their weapons were quite handy. Whilst the other uses are situational, I'm never going to object to a paired weapon . That is has those other uses makes it even better.

They have the advantage of being living for Kang, but still usable for railwalker. Not sure I'll normally field 3 of these, they are a little slow, but they certainly have a use. And if I put down the rail golem, he is going to love those extra burning tokens.

Emberling. Its an armoured Spirit, with a good df. It has arcane resevoir, and mei will love that extra card. Link can help it be where you want it to be. Having a vent steam supporting a group of people could be very handy. I think there are 4 possible spells from magical extension - a melee spell, railwalker for movement, burning counters to models in a Vent steam aura and an area push.

I can see me using it most of the time I use Mei. Its probably more use than an essence of power or a student of conflict. I wish it were a construct, but you can't have everything.

Mei Feng was a powerhouse in this game for me. She railwalked into Misaki on turn 1, and went past her to kill shang, a tokarage and Ototo before comign back to finish off Misaki. to make the best use of her, and there was a lot of dithering over what manner of attack I wanted next, and what I wanted to trigger. I also forgot half her rules.

She isn't as fast as people first thought, especially from the box. She needs a construct to have got there first. But what she can do is re-deploy well.

I felt dissapointed if I didn't do at least 6 things a turn.

Her personal scheme was very tough, but I covered the first half of the board in the first couple of turns, and spent the last two running to the far end of the board to make the connection. I feel a faster model in her crew would help here, and if it is rail walker targetable even better.

One thouight that has come to me, is that she would team up with Colette very well in a brawl, with a manniquin linked to Cassandra and a corephyee duet as well as all those doves.

Otherwise you need to pick a focus. Whilst I like her scheme, its pretty hard to do and you almost need to pick a crew just to focus on that.

She can go for a burning theme with Kaeris and the rail golem.

She can go for construct heavy to make the most of her railwalker. I'm not sure which constructs I would pick, but there is a wide enough range in Arcanist (or Ten Thunders)

colours to probably fit your aim.

Kang probably wants to go in a strongly living list, probably with Union miners and Johan.