Ten Thunders Summery

Da Git

For those poor saps like me that live in different countries and could get to Gencon & didn't want to pay us post, I thought I'd make a summery of all we know of Misaki & the 10T minions & put it in one post. Here goes!

Ratty's Introduction to Ten Thunders

MisakiTitle.png

Honor-bound Misaki Katanaka, Mistress of the Ten Thunders, leads her Brothers and Sisters in her father’s name, waiting for the time when she will ascend as Oyabun of the Katanaka Clan.

Misaki is a scalpel with which to slice out the heart of your opponent's crew. She can stalk her prey and then leap into the fray, taking out key models with surgical precision. Her crew are made up of models that help her in this task. The Torakage can cover her advance with smoke bombs and subterfuge. Yamaziko can give her the focus she needs not to harm herself in the pursuit of her target. Shang can make sure luck is on her side. Ototo, well Ototo just really hits things. (Ratty)

Full Stats posting is NOT Allowed

Misaki:

Opinions

Misaki is a ninja. She will stalk her prey unceasingly and then kill it. She has abilities that will single out the target model and then kill it. Did I mention she is good at killing things? Her box set has minions with abilities that will help her survive her initial stalk...and Ototo smash.

I'm actually on the fence about Misaki. I have learned many times that sending a single unit in (no matter how good) results in an alpha strike and a dead unit. She will require the support of her crew and I'm not getting any ideas of awesome quite yet.(pigi314159)

-Misaki is going to kill whatever she wants. And then probably die. She seems like a NASTY scalpel being able to just target one thing and get the job done. I think clever use of Torakage and Oiran to present her targets and keep her safe is going to be important. No idea on a starting crew. (Alviaran)

Shang:

A nine tailed fox Kitsune made of fire!

Ototo (eng: little brother): 8ss, 40mm base

Yamaziko: 6ss, 40mm base

http://http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff29/Wyrd-Miniatures/Bk4-Yamaziko.jpg

Torakage: 6ss, 30mm base

Ninja version of 10T bro. similar stats and weapons with the addition of a throwing weapon that they can use every time they walk.

Stats:

Similar to 10T bro

And just for fun, if my Japanese isn't too rusty Torakage roughly translates as Shadow Tigers. (Fetid Stumpit)

Ten Thunders Archers: 6ss, 30mm base

Stats:

Oiran: 4ss, 30mm base

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2012/08/exclusive-malifaux-mercenary-showgirl.html

Ama No Zako: 8ss (+1 for being a merc =9ss)

Not 10T, but cool!

Her story (its apparently female) is pretty simple. Its apparently an earth born monster that wandered through the rift. She likes doing jobs that involve eating people. Really not much more info. (Hoyled)

Stat line is really similar to the Slate Ridge Mauler, amusingly. It's a Beast, Mercenary, Unique model.

----

Overall, I think it's pretty great. Nothing crazy for a Beast model, but it has the potential to be pretty damn durable with HtW 1, a good Wd pool, and potential for massive healing with it's Teeth. Great combat trigger, and pretty solid stats. The spells are kind of wonky, but conditionally fun. (Nephalumps)

General Stuff

Think of Misaki and her crew as a whole group of control models. Oiran lure and buff (like Rotten Belles lure and debuff) Torakage screen and have movement manipulation. Ototo is a tank and melee beater, 10T Archers are super mobile, accurate and flexible, 10T Brothers are hard to hit and mobile. Misaki I almost see as a denial piece her crew can isolate elements of your opponents crew for her to pounce on, people will be wary of her threat range and theres not much that can stand up to her, she is extremely mobile but dont just throw her or rush her into combat. (osoi)

Edited by goblyn13
Added New Info 05/09/2012

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That beast looks so cool... Apart for the fact I'm getting him for my Marcus crew, here are my first thoughts on him as a Merc for my other masters (Nico and McM):

(1) Last Whisper. Complicated spell, but nifty. Another high casting spell, requires , , and discarding a card. When a non-Master dies in that aura, it must perform a simple Wp Duel against a high target #. If that model fails, it performs a single (1) AP action controlled by Ama's controller, then it's removed from the game. Model losing Wp Duel cannot make a Slow to Die action.

...is a killer defense as bodyguard on Nico (high SS, but an almost guaranteed BG scheme against most crews). Here's the thought:

You need:

- aNico, 2ss

- 3+ dogs, 6+2xss

- Something that deals blast damage and can down the dogs (i.e., rafkin), 7ss

- Ama, 9+1ss

Take the avatar, generate a massive MZ factory (not too difficult nowadays). I'm thinking Rafkin blasts 3+ dogs and then Nico Arise!'s and manifests (possibly 2nd turn, I don't have the card on hand). If anyone gets too close, aNico plops out the ability that gives the MZ's extra Cb and Dg output, they each take swings at the intruder(s) (1-2 strike each, depending on whether they are in melee range). Then Ama auras (what's the range of the aura of that spell?) then Rafkin kills the MZ's with another blast. Each one generates an effective StD action and swings at the target (now up to 2-3 strikes each)... and then is summoned again! Why not, they'll get a 3rd/4th swing each at the intruder(s), in case the first 2-3 strikes didn't kill them. Oh fun...

Yes it's 25 SS... But in your typical 35 pt game, that's enough room for 3 Night Terrors to get other schemes or 2 belles to draw the stray enemy in to work this combo with them :D

It's certainly situational, and I think I'd only use it if it got me more than 2 VP's net to pull off (like the opponent has Contain Power, for example), but it feels like this would be an extremely difficult line to get past.

Edited by brdparker

Has anyone got any more information about Misaki? Thanks to the delays with her box, I won't be getting my order (including the book) for a little while yet.

Just looking for any more information about her really - actions, abilities, spells, stats - just anything to tide me over until she arrives!

Okay, so what I've been able to gather so far is this:

-She gets Hans, Taelor, Ronin and Desperate Mercs for no additional cost and gives them the TT affiliation.

-She's bulletproof, wicked, melee expert and reckless. (Toraswap Student of Conflict trick gives her, what, 5 AP? Pretty crazy)

-A pulse that allows friendly models to take a wound and immediately rally.

-Hunter's Shadow, which hasn't really been explained to me.

-a (1) action that lets her steal soulstones.

-"You're mine!", a (0) action that does a lot of flips. Only useable on a model you've taken a melee swing at, it gives you + to attack and damage, them - to disengaging, and everyone else a -when trying to attack either Misaki or whatever she's engaged with.

-A spell that pushes models away from target enemy model.

Honestly, the more I hear about her, the more she's growing on me. I like the idea of trapping someone with "You're Mine!" and then just using all the rest of your AP to steal SS from them.

Okay, so what I've been able to gather so far is this:

1. -She gets Hans, Taelor, Ronin and Desperate Mercs for no additional cost and gives them the TT affiliation.
  2. -She's bulletproof, wicked, melee expert and reckless. (Toraswap Student of Conflict trick gives her, what, 5 AP? Pretty crazy)
  3. -A pulse that allows friendly models to take a wound and immediately rally.
  4. -Hunter's Shadow, which hasn't really been explained to me.
  5. -a (1) action that lets her steal soulstones.
  6. -"You're mine!", a (0) action that does a lot of flips. Only useable on a model you've taken a melee swing at, it gives you + to attack and damage, them - to disengaging, and everyone else a -when trying to attack either Misaki or whatever she's engaged with.
  7. -A spell that pushes models away from target enemy model.

Honestly, the more I hear about her, the more she's growing on me. I like the idea of trapping someone with "You're Mine!" and then just using all the rest of your AP to steal SS from them.

1 - This is accurate. Misaki can make use of several merc's that she used to hang around with before becoming a Master. Each of these becomes 10 Thunders while she is leading the crew.

2. This is not accurate, as Reckless just conveys Fast. Due to this the Student actually does not help Misaki gain any additional AP. She gets 4 AP, and has to take a Wd for one of those unless she has a way to remove reckless and gain Fast (such as Yamaziko).

3. Yup. Really nice since her crew is all living.

4. Misaki basically stalks her prey and gets to move when her prey moves. She can use the Shadow action on a target in LOS, which allows her to make a move if the target makes a move. Its nice for some positioning and closing the gap, especially considering she has Diving Charge.

5. This is a great ability that can also go off a trigger after hitting someone with the Bisento. Nice way to refil her SS pool during the game and hamper her opponent.

6. This is basically her assassination ability. Your Mine allows her to single out a target and then get benefits to take them out.

7. Not a bad little spell.

Misaki is very Wire-Fu in play style, being able to bounce around then target in on one specific target to kill them. She is fairly defensive when necessary, and can go toe-to-toe with other Melee focused masters. She is devastating when used to assassinate minion members of your opponents crew.

Misaki has an ability where she can Pilfer a soulstone from an enemy soulstone user. She and her target both flip a fate card and if Misaki has the higher card, the opponent discards a SS and Misaki gains a SS.

So that's presumably the ability her scheme is based on as well? Hopefully you don't have to do it too many times to complete that scheme as it may be a little on the random side... If it can be used on a trigger though, that could potentially be very nice!

I assume you can't cheat this flip?

Its a great ability that can be done once per turn, no cheating. The trigger on her Bisento lets you do it if you have not already performed the action that turn, which is really nice. Her scheme is a bit interesting, as you have to pilfer more stones than the crew has remaining at the end of the encounter. So, IF you can pilfer 1 stone and make them burn out all thier stones, no worries. If your facing Colette who can make stones, it becomes a bit tougher and you have to stay ahead of how many they have in their SS Pool.

I am really looking forward to Misaki's move to my primary master through the end of this year, I am just waiting on old Misaki to get painted by my commission painter (13th hour miniatures) to start playing her. Then when her box arrives I will get Shang, Ototo, and the Torekage on the table for more Misaki fun.

Also of note, in my experience Colette is a pretty hard counter to Misaki. Colette's movement and SS creation provide a real tough match for Misaki and a great ability to counter her shenanigans.

Hmmm that does make it more interesting - generally speaking I find most people (Colette being the exception) use up their Soul stones over the course of the game, so this may be kind of achievable... If your opponent is winning the attrition war though, they should be able to easily defeat it (Drain Souls at the end of the game) and I think its going to be extremely hard to pull off against Colette, as you say...

Like you, I'm hoping to make Misaki my primary Master for the rest of this year, so I'm interested to see how exactly she turns out - do you not like the look of the new sculpt Misaki? I love the old one, but this new model is looking pretty dynamic to me (although I can understand that not everyone wants a model that is constantly doing a kick above her own head!)

Oh - I keep wondering about how many Wds she has - mainly to think about just how necessary I consider Yamaziko to be... At the moment she seems to be in just about every list I plan for her, but if Misaki has a decent Wd score I might consider leaving her out on occasion (although to be fair she looks pretty good for 6ss to me anyway, especially with 'Use Soul stone'...

Hmmm that does make it more interesting - generally speaking I find most people (Colette being the exception) use up their Soul stones over the course of the game, so this may be kind of achievable... If your opponent is winning the attrition war though, they should be able to easily defeat it (Drain Souls at the end of the game) and I think its going to be extremely hard to pull off against Colette, as you say...

Like you, I'm hoping to make Misaki my primary Master for the rest of this year, so I'm interested to see how exactly she turns out - do you not like the look of the new sculpt Misaki? I love the old one, but this new model is looking pretty dynamic to me (although I can understand that not everyone wants a model that is constantly doing a kick above her own head!)

I have not gotten the box yet, but have archers, Yamaziko, Ronin and 10T Brothers that can all be used with her. As such, I will be using her old sculpt as the master once its painted.Add in some Graves action and its all nice and cuddly.

As for her sculpt, I am unsure which I will like better. I am getting both painted, so I will see which one speaks to me once they are done.

Oh - I keep wondering about how many Wds she has -

Ahh Misaki... the amazing girl of AP and stats: Wk/Cg 5/8 Df 7, Wp 7, Wd 10. Yup, you read that right. And to keep with the Lady of 7's theme, CB 7 as well.

Each one generates an effective StD action and swings at the target (now up to 2-3 strikes each)... and then is summoned again!

Might want to read his card carefully again. Mindless zombies killed nearby aNico do not drop Mindless Zombies instead of corpse counters; they drop corpse counters which are now useless to aNico. At best Rafkin can run around and pick them all up and summon half as many as he picked up for an (all), but that'd take two turns.

For further reading, see the rules marshalls comments on the subject here.

Really quick on that, Rafkin summons one mindless zombie per corpse counter, so it'd be the same number.

He uses 2 body part counters to summon one zombie, and you get 2 body part counters per corpse counter.

Also I am so looking forward to Misaki, it's breaking my Ressurectionist tendencies.

Ahh Misaki... the amazing girl of AP and stats: Wk/Cg 5/8 Df 7, Wp 7, Wd 10. Yup, you read that right. And to keep with the Lady of 7's theme, CB 7 as well.

That's a pretty nifty stat line - with careful planning she should actually be pretty difficult for a lot of non-master models to take out (as from the sound of it 'Your Mine!' will give people other than her target a negative flip to attack her) - combined with a base Df 7 she'll be pretty hard to hit...

And 10 wds is kind of better than expected - I still think I'll end up running her with Yamaziko more often than not, but I don't think she'll have to worry too much about using the occasional reckless AP...

Updated first post to compile what we "know" about Misaki, must say that she is looking really fun & ninja-ry!! Great stats & abilities, although a little surprised not to see leap in there, although that could be her other (0), which would be pretty amazing!! not much info on spells so far...

Also added more to Torakage

I would also love to see some more details on her other minions & Shang!!

If I've missed anything, let me know!

Edited by Da O&F Git

Updated first post to compile what we "know" about Misaki, must say that she is looking really fun & ninja-ry!! Great stats & abilities, although a little surprised not to see leap in there, although that could be her other (0), which would be pretty amazing!! not much info on spells so far...

I would also love to see some more details on her other minions & Shang!!

Second! I am very excited for everything in this crew!

Sad to say I'm a lot more interested in the shang than misaki.

In my opinion, Shang gets the best Totem ability ever.... lucky charm. Basically, Shang gets to suffer a wound to allow Misaki to reflip one of her cards in a duel before she chooses the starting card. It does not negate the Black Joker, but outside of that gives her a great ability to "fix" a bad starting duel flip.

He's a speedy fellow as well, with a fairly high Wk/Cg (faster than Misaki) and flight. I am surprised he was a fox, and not a dragon. His art looks really cool though, so I am not too unhappy he was not a dragon.