Initial Thoughts

pigi314159

Is it okay if we can refer to Misaki, Mei Feng & Yan Lo as the "Non-Caucasian Masters"?

Common sense would suggest no. It's why no one referred to Kirai as the the "non-Caucasian Master" and stopped referring to her as "the Asian Master" once they actually knew her name. We know these guys' names and their adoptive faction, we don't need irrelevent distinctions period.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might have missed this in another thread but quick question. Does the Storm of Shadows book have rules/entries for Avatar versions of the new masters? I know minis for them would probably be a good ways off even if so but I'm curious to see see if they've already laid the ground work for it or not to correspond to the other masters already available.

And she can apparently hire the listed models as if they were 10 Thunder models rather than Mercs, so keeps her Merc slots open for others (and in the case of desperate mercs she can hire the full Rare 4, not just 2 taking both of her Merc slots...)

So there is actually a list of Outcast Minions that Misaki is limited to when hiring non-10T minions. If so, that kinda sucks... I've spent all night last night reading up book 1-3 Outcasts and wished that she could hire other Minions... oh well, I bet most of the 10T Minions are good anyway.

She can take Mercs not on her list.. but they count for her merc limit and cost the extra SS.. The Mercs on the list count as in faction and therefore don't count towards you limit and come at the normal cost.

Oh wow, that's awesome then.. I was thinking of bringing in Jack Daw or Killjoy in her list.. LOL I dunno if there are synergies but just because...

Thanks @Ratty

I hope Wyrd updates the crew creator app soon.

Might have missed this in another thread but quick question. Does the Storm of Shadows book have rules/entries for Avatar versions of the new masters? I know minis for them would probably be a good ways off even if so but I'm curious to see see if they've already laid the ground work for it or not to correspond to the other masters already available.

No new Avatars for the 5 new masters

Common sense would suggest no. It's why no one referred to Kirai as the the "non-Caucasian Master" and stopped referring to her as "the Asian Master" once they actually knew her name. We know these guys' names and their adoptive faction, we don't need irrelevent distinctions period.

ThePandaDirector, why not reference them as the Asian Masters when talking about them as a group, or the thunder Asian masters. I call the three resser based off of the British Commonwealth the Resser Brits, that's Seamus, Nicodem, and McMourning, is that wrong? Is it wrong to group people by their minions like the construct masters, Ramos, Hoffman, Leveticus and maybe Mei Feng, still waiting on her card? Is it insulting to call them Asian? I think not because they are Asian, it would be like calling Hoffman British. What I think is important is that the descriptors make sense and is not insulting.

Yes they have name, and names are important, but they can be called other things when you're talking about them as a group, unless you're trying to be PC. If PC is your goal it is not always appropriate for instance in college I saw the African American Association turn down a person that moved here from South Africa and whose family has been there for generations because he was white, but he was an African American.

---------- Post added at 12:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 PM ----------

The avatars for the 10 Thunders will probably come in the next book. I want more Ten Thunder only master, help flush out the faction without using the other factions to do so.

Avatar of Thunder, Avatar of Zen, Avatar of Pillaging, Avatar of Luck and Avatar of METAL!

You heard it here first folks!

I am not sure if the Avatar of Zen works, maybe Avatar of Relics, Avatar of Rembrence, or Avatar of Past Glory. His models with in X inches use his relic as if they had them, hmmm that could be good.

Love the rest.

---------- Post added at 01:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 PM ----------

They should be sued for making the movie version... :(

I would perfer shot, maybe in the leg.

@D_acolyte: Not trying to be passive aggressive; I realise the irony of pointing out how wrong pointing out something is, but I thought this was common sense.

Example: New faction - two Masters are white, one of which is Scottish, three are black, two of which are Scottish. Do you distinguise the minority as the two non-Scottish Masters or the two non-black Masters? Answer, unless the faction is linked specifically to Scotland, both are pointless distinctions. Even if only the black Masters were official members of the faction, like in Ten Thunders, it is still not a distinction worth making unless there was a better term that didn't highlight the pointless fact that the only official members happen to be black.

Misaki, Mei Feng and Yan Lo are The Three Kingdom Masters (same as British Commonwealth Masters), and 10T Masters (along with McCabe and Lynch), as well as belonging to their own sub-groups (elemental, Resser, beatstick, etc). By highlighting that they're Asian you infer that a non-Asian could not join their group which is false (there are likely non-Asians in The Three Kingdoms). So as much as I hate political correction, I also hate pointless distinctions and the irony of pointing them out.

I think I get the award for most ironic post ever =]

You can't beat the metal...

I am not sure if the Avatar of Zen works, maybe Avatar of Relics, Avatar of Rembrence, or Avatar of Past Glory. His models with in X inches use his relic as if they had them, hmmm that could be good.

Love the rest..

The other idea was Avatar of Ancestral Respect but was sort of a mouth full.

And of course the avatar of metal will wield a mighty ax!

@Panda - it's only a pointless distinction if you don't need to make a distinction some how - if you want to refer to any group while excluding another group, you need to refer to them by some common factor that is not shared with the other group. For example if I wanted to make a statement about Lady Justice, Sonnia and Perdita I could refer to them as "Female Guild Masters" or "Book 1 Guild Masters" as these are the common elements they share...

@D_acolyte: Not trying to be passive aggressive; I realise the irony of pointing out how wrong pointing out something is, but I thought this was common sense.

Example: New faction - two Masters are white, one of which is Scottish, three are black, two of which are Scottish. Do you distinguise the minority as the two non-Scottish Masters or the two non-black Masters? Answer, unless the faction is linked specifically to Scotland, both are pointless distinctions. Even if only the black Masters were official members of the faction, like in Ten Thunders, it is still not a distinction worth making unless there was a better term that didn't highlight the pointless fact that the only official members happen to be black.

Misaki, Mei Feng and Yan Lo are The Three Kingdom Masters (same as British Commonwealth Masters), and 10T Masters (along with McCabe and Lynch), as well as belonging to their own sub-groups (elemental, Resser, beatstick, etc). By highlighting that they're Asian you infer that a non-Asian could not join their group which is false (there are likely non-Asians in The Three Kingdoms). So as much as I hate political correction, I also hate pointless distinctions and the irony of pointing them out.

I think I get the award for most ironic post ever =]

You can't beat the metal...

By stating Asian master people are not infer anything on the other two other then they are not part of that sub group, it would be no different then me say that the Resser Brit Masters generally make use of corpses or that Guild Female Masters do not tend to use constructs. Am I highlighting a country or gender that excludes all other? I do not think so. I am talking about a logical sub grouping of Master models, players do it with units all the time by who goes with what.

And to answere your question if the meaningful sub grouping is two non-Scottish Masters and not the Scottish Masters, then yes I would state the two non-Scottish Masters _________________________________________________. I thought this was common sense, it is even taught in every subject in schools.

Three Kingdom Masters, ones Japanese and two are Chinese and how is it different from saying the Asian Masters.

Irony in forum posts are hard to find because there is no inflection or porosity except what we ourselves place in when we read it.

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

The other idea was Avatar of Ancestral Respect but was sort of a mouth full.

And of course the avatar of metal will wield a mighty ax!

We have seen some mouth full names like avatar of nature's malevolence, so why not another.

The mighty ax sounds more like Collet, can we make her the avatar of metal.

@D_acolyte: I'll reply by PM, no need to derail this thread further lest we all get troll vomit on us.

As for avatars I think Mei Feng could be Avatar of Industry/Ambition. Since avatars usually add a new spin to a crew perhaps she goes from mobile beatstick to someone who supports her crew a lot better (makes them more mobile instead of herself) with tons of burning token shenanigans.

What if the avatars are introduced through story encounters instead, sort of like "The Hour of Thunder"; a story encounter where Misaki is put to the test and in doing so discovers her avatar form. Considering that avatars could be linked to the main plot, story encounters are one way to advance it in an interactive way.

What if the avatars are introduced through story encounters instead, sort of like "The Hour of Thunder"; a story encounter where Misaki is put to the test and in doing so discovers her avatar form. Considering that avatars could be linked to the main plot, story encounters are one way to advance it in an interactive way.

Sick idea. I love it.Story encounter would include the Avatar model? or still a separate buy?