Any signs of Puppet Wars?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a playtester but PM me too :). Are they not selling the re-release puppet wars starter box at gencon, and if they are why isn't it also for sale online over gencon weekend? Also will the multiplayer booster pack be redone or is it just the starter box that's going plastic?

No, they're not for sale at GenCon. They're a while out yet from what I understand, from helping at the booth.

I won a casual draft tourney last night and got one of the demo copies. We played with the new plastic. 3 masters, 6 total puppets each.

They didn't tell me not to say anything, so I will say that from the 20 demo plastic miniatures that I got, that NOBODY will be sad. I can' t WAIT to see the rest!

THEY LOOK AMAZING!

and holy crap the NEW BOARD! So GREAT! Perfect size (bigger!), miniatures are so much easier to paint with new positions, more defined details, additions to the sculpt.

I may or may not have been told some very exciting news about things that may or may not be released. And I'm excited. So yeah, new set may or may not have new puppets. And I'm excited.

Pretty much, if anyone was slightly interested in PW before, they will be DAMN well interested in buying it now. They quality of the art and minis is fantastic compared to 1st ed, which was really good itself.

I'm going to write up some reviews on BGG about both the preview of PW and evil baby orphanage ( WHICH I LOVED:) )

Also, if wyrd needs a new playtester for PW or EBO.....

Edited by Doctor Lucky

Well I suppose there's nothing wrong with letting this pic from Twitter slip out ;)

post-3604-13911924537935_thumb.jpg

Sorry, I meant pics =]

And for those worrying these will work with metals. They're a little bulkier and... more awesome, but the scale is not unreasonable compared to the metals.

There are great things in store for Puppet Wars. This is just the beginning =D

post-3604-13911924537466_thumb.jpg

honestly, I don't know if I will play with metals, I mean, yeah, I painted all of them- but the new sculpts are just that awesome.

Well so far there hasn't been any word of the expansion stuff, so as a Marcus player I will likely use the metals, which are still great, until they get replaced by these truly amazing plastics.

Pokey Vik!! Awesome...

So totally getting this when it's released.

Yeah Pokey's looking prettier than ever.

In these pics you can see there's more depth, detail and dimension to these models. For those like me who instantly fell in love with this game when they saw the artwork will love how well these translate. And for everyone else, if Warstore is to be believed the Starter is only $65. That's almost three times as many models as the $85 metal starter =]

post-3604-13911924539033_thumb.jpg

post-3604-13911924538508_thumb.jpg

*love**love*

Cheaper, more awesome, and more puppets? Now all I need is a list of what's in that box and how many of them. Which won't actually change the end result, but it will be interesting to see. Are all the puppets in there, or are some of the original expansion ones still only in other boxes...?

Don't know what Wyrd'd got planned, but from what Eric said on Gamer's Lounge you're getting the Starter set with three of each pawn. So that works out at:

Lady Justice

Seamus

Judge

Bete Noire

Rusty Alyce

Misaki

Death Marshal x3

Guild Austringer x3

Executioner x3

Rotten Belle x3

Punk Zombie x3

Nurse x3

December Acolyte x3

Razorspine Rattler x3

Silurid x3

Malifaux Cherub x3

Ronin x3

Convict Gunslinger x3

That's 42 models for $65 compared to the original 18 models for $85. Of course there's also the new board and possibly some shiny new tokens and counters ;)

But since you can see Pokey Viktoria and Hooded Rider there, then who knows... maybe it's 44 models for $65 ;)

Considering that the average game is 8 Puppets a side, there really is no pressure to tackle the whole set at once, and you can get away without using multiples easily. But I'm glad they're plastic, because I have a few conversions planned and they were too hard to do in metal. And if Vik is in the set then that means 3 player games just like Evil Baby Orphanage =D

* cough cough*, 1 of each master, *cough cough*, can't count them all on one hand, *cough cough*, unless you know sign language, *cough cough*, do the math, *cough cough*

Achhem excuse me, bad cough from all those germ spreaders at gen con. Anyways, like I said, there may or may not be new models and expansions waiting in the wings after the release. I may or may not have heard that. Also the table was a little like the mommy wine brigade after so-and-so remodeled their kitchen, so take this with a grain of salt.

Also the 3 player game was a blast! I never tried it before, as I felt cramped on the old board.

The new board had so much room for activities!

Edited by Doctor Lucky

I played in the draft tournaments. The models are a lot nicer. Misaki was the Wyrd speed painting mini. My son gave me the one he painted. The miniatures look different. About 20% larger and more bulky, but lots of cool details. Some of the puppets seemed to have extra parts one could glue in different positions (such as the pin on the back of the ronin).

Some parts, such as the tube on the razorspine rattler broke off, so I see gamers maybe using metal wire to replace the plastic. I heard the release may be late this year due to a couple of manufacturing problems.

I was told there would be some minor rules changes as well. The one I remember for sure was that the drawn card to determine player order is put in the hand before picking one to play. Of course that could change just like the released rules for EBO changed.

It looks like the board has bigger hexes now which makes me very happy since i want to be able to use all the awsome puppets in my regular games of malifaux as well without having to mess around to much with the bases :)

I really hope they do a kickstarter campaign for the new PW, that would be awsome!

The first run of puppets from the plastic remake were available upstairs in the Paint 'n Take. They were comically oversized, so if you see pics of some super-huge puppets floating around, rest assured they're not that much bigger than the metal ones.

Aside from bankruptcy or a scenario involving meteors, I can't think of why I wouldn't buy the starter set again. I make the plea now for a better box, though!

• 2 weeks later...