Storm of Shadows - Arcanists Spoiler Thread

Nephalumps

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are the Rail Crew! (loud riffage)

Mei Feng is a freaking fighting game character! Seriously, look at that combo helper. I feel like I should be practicing my Dragon Punches in preparation.

For the most part the Rail Golem just hits you like a freight train.

Choose your own response:

"Seems appropriate" -or- "Oh, I see what you did there..." *wink*

I like that nickname consider it stolen.

Can't wait to see the inevitable baby blue Rail Golem pictures *grin*

Since snord mentioned Taelor in his preview (thanks for the info), I wanted to do a quick rundown of Kang vs. Taelor:

Weapon stats: Kang has an auto-mask and an auto-knockback. Taelor has Magical and Ignores Armor (unless Kang also has a Relic Hammer). Same profile otherwise (what about Range?).

Melee Expert, Hard to Kill for both.

Slow to Die + Auto-heal (is this not regeneration? How is it different?) vs. Hard to Wound 1: Taelor's a tougher nut to crack, but Kang can heal himself without help.

Kang grants a boost when he kills something, and ignores obscuring auras. Taelor ignores Terrifying, has two triggers requiring suits to be flipped, and the near-useless Menace (unless something has WP 3 or less, is it even worth a try).

Based on what I'm seeing, Taelor is best used alone to smash or distract a foe, while Kang will be better off having one or two weak minions in tow to inspire. Kang looks like he makes Taelor largely redundant for the Arcanists, but even if Kang was a Mercenary I think she'd still be the better choice for Viks/Freikorps crews. Of course, once I get the book, we'll see how far off I am *wink*

Assuming Mei Ling can hire normal mercs, here's a scary thought- both of them in the same crew. Might be impractical, but I'd try it at least once for kicks.

I'll leave you with a funny fluff-based thought: Kang and Taelor meet in a Mei Ling vs. Viktorias scrap. They duel to a draw, exchange expressions of respect, fall in love over the course of several more battles, get married (or cohabitate), and have kids who are Cb 9, Hard to Wound 1, Hard to Kill, Slow to Die, immune to terrifying, boost their allies when they smash something, AND have auto-Knockback triggers, . Now there's a scary thought...

---------- Post added at 01:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 PM ----------

I do have two more questions:

1) Since I currently only have Rasputina among the Arcanists, would Mei Ling be a good complimentary Master to cover the strats that 'Tina has difficulty with?

2) What's the penalty for taking the Rail Golem with 'Tina?

I'll leave you with a funny fluff-based thought: Kang and Taelor meet in a Mei Ling vs. Viktorias scrap. They duel to a draw, exchange expressions of respect, fall in love over the course of several more battles, get married (or cohabitate), and have kids who are Cb 9, Hard to Wound 1, Hard to Kill, Slow to Die, immune to terrifying, boost their allies when they smash something, AND have auto-Knockback triggers, . Now there's a scary thought...

20ss.

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:56 PM ----------

To answer #1 - Mei does move much better than Raspy. Her and crew can lay down some nice cover. And as a 10T master (and using her as a 10T master) she has access to some other options that may be better suited to other strats also.

@Dustcrusher

Kang's heal is a different ability: at the beginning of the turn, before any model activates, he heals a number of wounds equal to the turn number. So, for instance, turn 4, he heals 4, turn 6 he heals 6. Now, this combined with hard to kill makes him extremely tough to defeat, since the opponent has to kill him in a single turn, or he heals before any model activates in the next turn, making hard to kill kick in again. This, combined with the fact that he, by himself, can easily kill a model per turn as long as the model is in his charge range (charge + melee expert, with 3/4/6 damage profile), makes him a freaking scary melee machine.

Now, pair him with Torakages and it becomes gold: Torakage can drop smoke bombs to block line of sight and can switch places with 10T models. So picture the Torakage moving up the field, and when in position, activates, drops the smoke bomb and switches place with Kang. Now, Kang is kind of safe behind the smoke because it blocks line of sight, so other models can't charge him or shoot him, BUT Kang ignores the smoke, can see perfectly fine through it, and so activates, charges and kills. Rinse and repeat. :)

It is not broken, but it is freaking good.

Are the rail workers constructs?

Yeah, I was wondering that as well - I'm sure I saw something that indicated that they were, but they don't seem particularly "Constructy" to me... If not, she really needs some Gamin (or some other constructs) to get the most from her abilities and her starter box will be missing a few tricks...

Yeah, I was wondering that as well - I'm sure I saw something that indicated that they were, but they don't seem particularly "Constructy" to me... If not, she really needs some Gamin (or some other constructs) to get the most from her abilities and her starter box will be missing a few tricks...

already answered above

they have a spell which has an aura. when friendly models in the aura suffer wounds, they can transfer some of them to the metal gamin.

They key off a protected model. They are insignificant when outside 4" of the protected model, but they have a (0) charge that targets a model engaged with the protectee.

along with the above, they are really resilient, with armor, hard to kill, positives on resist flips, and access to a heal action with a positive flip.

the downsides are that they are insignificant when away from their protectee, and their melee damage is a bit pants.

they do have a way of doing unresisted damage though - they can drain burning counters off models in range and inflict a number of Wd equal to the number of burning counters on a model it is engaged with. Theres a maximum number of Wd this can do, but the action to do this can be used twice a turn.

Edited by Tograth