Storm of Shadows - Arcanists Spoiler Thread

Nephalumps

Well he's a hell of alot better than the Ice Golem, that's for sure (note: the rail golem's still not a good choice for Raspy though. :( ). For the most part the Rail Golem just hits you like a freight train. In fact, they could have probably just modeled him as a train on and that'd do the job. :)

Good choices depends on use, the ice golem is a wall. armor 2 that raspy can make armor 4 with sub zero as a triger. the fact it can fight at range or close combat is a bonus if you want a wall.

if you want speed and killing go blessed

Edited by D_acolyte

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good choices depends on use, the ice golem is a wall. armor 2 that raspy can make armor 4 with sub zero as a triger. the fact it can fight at range or close combat is a bonus if you want a wall.

if you want speed and killing go blessed

Point taken, I was just more referring to the fact that nobody I know seems to take the Ice Golem, while I feel that the Rail Golem will prove much more popular among players. You're right though - they definitely have different roles in-game.

Sounds like they play different roles, snowstorm is there more for his movement, Thomas is there to punch people in the face. Season your crew to taste.

Agreed, so how fast is Thomas? Then compar Thomas's fist and how fast is your crew without snowstorm.

Now Really can we get some info of specifics on how Thomas is.

Sorry, I can't give specifics unless I physically have the book in my hands (things can always change last minute). What I can give is general info.

Speaking of Blue Border Beasts, they might end up getting an indirect boost for Marcus with the addition of Kang. I said this elsewhere, but he's a decent target for the Raptor's enrage (making him a beast) and he can buff living models (such as the blue-beasts) under the right circumstances.

this quote is from Rathnard on the outcast board. what else can you tell us on kang?

Well he's the workers hero. :)

He's hard to put down and very good at healing any wounds he takes. For the most part he's a melee beater (and a decent one at that) but also has some ranged capabilities. He also has the ability to buff friendly living models in the right circumstances.

They work great for raspy, ramos, marcus and mei.

Definitely Raspy and Ramos (although maybe Ramatar doesn't care?), but I'd disagree with Marcus. He's generally too fast for a Metal Gamin, and Beasts will usually make for a better bodyguard thanks to the Defend Me trigger. I suppose the Metal Gamin edges out if you're in danger of getting attacked by something that isn't a charge or ranged strike but honestly, I think he's got better things to spend his SS on.

H'ok, now that I've got the book in hand, I thought I'd post up some more info on Mei Feng:

Mei Feng is... a lot to digest. I'm swear I'm only scratching the surface with my spoilers, but with 7(!) abilities, 6(!!) triggers, and 6(!!!) spells, all interlinked, it will take a while to master her. Ratty's reference card definitely helps mitigate some of those though!

First up, the stats. She has average wounds for our masters, and the highest unbuffed defense of any Arcanist master (equalling Marcus under Fox). On top of that, she has a spell which lets her give herself or her friends Armor 2 on a 5 of any suit - this spell can happen as a (0) action, or as a trigger on her kick. So assuming she goes early, she is going to be tough to take down. She also has a nice high willpower, equaling her defense, and remains the high cast that is typical among Arcanist masters, paired with Casting Expert.

Her attacks are downright amazing, Both have an above-average Cb (on par with Marcus), She has a jackhammer kick, which if it connects pushes her into base contact with her target, and has a trigger for her armor spell. Her Tiger's Claws, however, are her primary attack. They are paired, hit almost as hard as the Greatsword wielders, and get a :+fate flip if the target has a burning counter. If the target doesn't have a burning counter, the tiger's claws will give them one when they successfully damage an enemy model. It also has a trigger that can best be described as a super Whirlwind, which lets her push 2" to bring someone else into the tiny range on her claws.

Then we get to her spell list. I've already described her armor spell, and like Raspy, she has a spell that lets you put up an obscuring cloud, which auto-casts a different spell to give enemy models inside the cloud a burning counter if they fail a resist. She also has a melee spell that hits for low amounts of damage, but has blasts, ignores armor, and hands out easy to wound. She also has a downscaled version of Zoraida's repulsive, which I see myself casting off of her totem a lot to move my crew around - but I'm showing my roots, since these kinds of abilities were always at a premium in my WM/H days.

And finally, we come to (what I feel) is her signature spell - Railwalker. It requires a 7 of any suit to cast, but you are going to want to throw a tome to cast it. Mei Feng gets on a train and starts travelling - she essentially snaps in b2b with a construct or rail worker within 5", then can snap to a second construct or rail worker within 5" of her new position, and finally (depending on trigger), can either snap to a third construct or rail worker. Or (what I expect is more typical) she immediately throws a Jackhammer Kick at an enemy model. It will take practice, but if I remember my base sizes correctly, with 2 Large Steampunk Arachnids and good positioning, this means Mei Feng can start 18" away from an enemy model, and end her Cast action in base-to-base with the same enemy model, after smacking it for damage :Combat_Puppet:

Given all of the triggers, I see three things immediately - 1.) she is going to absolutely chew through soulstones. 2.) She is going to do the same to your hand, although her totem does bring Arcane Resevoir, and she has the ability to draw cards when she kills something. 3.) It's going to be super easy to get ahead of the rest of her crew, and even with her defensive stats, your opponent will have good incentive to cut her down before the rest of her team shows up to help.

Edited by Thalaric