Yan Lo, our new friend

DeleteAccount

This was posted by ratty.

YanLoTitle.png

Mysterious Yan Lo is a man trapped between life and death, pursuing his curse across the Breach, his service to the Ten Thunders in Malifaux providing him more clues to ending end his centuries-old plight.

Yan Lo seeks spiritual energy to give him the power to break his curse, he collects this energy from those that die around him, each death moving him one step towards his goal and providing him with new powers. He is assisted in his quest by the ancestors of the Katanaka clan. When these ancestors' physical form are destroyed their souls return to him, granting him abilities. He may also re-knit the flesh of the fallen to make these souls new bodies and return them to the field of battle.

After reading this, well, I still have no idea what his skit is supposed to be. I only hope he is a nexus between spirits and undead. Though I'm a bit scared him having death dependant abilities, specially if the evil "living" wording rears it's ugly head.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taking a look at the revealed model I am guessing he will have the Ancestor characteristic as Izamu can pass off some of his abilities with that Relic ability. Also I suspect that Mike3838 might be right in that he primarily resummons the models that you originally brought rather than raise new undead. Judging by the wording it looks like he might use corpse counters and such to bring them back but I can see it going the other way too.

I also would not be surprised if he has something where he builds up as more deaths occur around him, perhaps providing him a special counter he uses for his abilities or based on the number that died with in range of him he gets certain bonuses.

apparantly as non-ancestors die he gains come kind of counter which i would assume to be used to summon ancestors that have been hired and died, though you give up the bonus that the ancestors give when they die. The idea is to balance ancestor and everything else because ancestors are super expensive

SO here's my initial read through of Yan Lo.

He's....different in terms of rezzers. Unlike our other friends he cannot win by summoning. The scope of what he can summon (only the unique ancestors that have died already) is too limited and he does not summon them back at full health.

Where he does gain strength is sucking the chi out of things that die around him. The more stuff that dies around him, the stronger he gets. (The exact phrasing is "...controlled non-Ancestor model is killed" so I assume that means everything your/your opponent's non-Ancestors non-Mindless Zombies) And...wow he gets big and strong and nigh unkillable. How does Df 7, Regen 1, Wd 10, Spirit sound? If 11 things die around him, you got it!

Tactically, my first instinct is to run him/his crew as a death star. Keep all of the ancestors close by and just barrel in, but I'll have to read into that further. I'm really excited to see what tactics come out of him as we get further into the future.