Colette's stage and other models

Nightshard

I edited this post to link directly to the different models finished state.

Colette DuBois - Finished

Mechanical Doves - Finished or Here

Cassandra - Finished

Angelica - Finished

Performer and Mannequin 1 - Finished

Performer and Mannequin 2 - Finished

Coryphee - Not Finished

Gunsmith - Not Finished

Not Wyrd.

Mad Scientist Female

Female Huckster

Dancing on Table

The Luggage

Sister of Battle Heavy Flamer

Test Stage - Not Finished

Stage Battlefield - Not Finished

--// Original Post //--

I got introduced to Malifaux a couple of weeks ago and played around and trying some factions and masters until I started with Colette Du Bois and won the game without losing or killing a model. I had found the Master I liked. I ordered them and started planing what I wanted to do with them. But I already had the answer. A stage battlefield that could be used as a diorama, something like a western bar but somewhat more classy. But I knew that would be a bit to hard without preparation and tests. So I waited for my little pretties. When they came I was somewhat disappointed that Coryphèe and Angelica wasn't in it. But pretty much the rest were including a victorian woman scientist to be my gunsmith. Enough to start on a test stage.

post-10983-13911924405393_thumb.jpg

Good enough to start. So after rummaging around I discovered some scrap wood from previous projects and started. A tube of Pringles helped to archive the general shape of the test.

post-10983-13911924405996_thumb.jpg

I had bought some magnetic bases for ease of travel and use. The obvious way to utilize them was to add metal rods usually used to secure plants. After some gluing they were in place. and I tried it with the bases. All good so far. Then I tried it with the single use cutlery I was going to use as wooden boards.

post-10983-13911924406604_thumb.jpg

And I found a problem. The magnets no longer worked. Damn.

Writing this up as a failure on the magnets parts I stuck them to the lamp and temporary worked as a floor installer with a bearded friend looking creepily at me down at the local gaming den. He disconcerted me enough so I forgot to take pictures.

Alright, fine. We talked and had too much fun discussing things I forgot to take one before I put them beneath a weight consisting of a map, world society and the cartoon Bone. I made the bases while Bone helped with the floor drying. To the Right you see tombstones that shall be used as corpse tokens. I show pictures of them later.

post-10983-13911924407048_thumb.jpg

Hmm. There appears to be a image upload limit. I'll continue my rant after this intermission.

post-10983-139119244057_thumb.jpg

post-10983-13911924406305_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nightshard

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

post-10983-13911924408361_thumb.jpg

I made the first base round and found that I really, really, didn't like the look of it. So I made the rest a bit more chaotic. The measurement while playing would be a little more time consuming but that is a price I am willing to pay.

Now then, first model. A mechanical dove. Damn I really didn't want to buy them but when you go Colette you really doesn't have a choose. Can one use the arcane effigy with the doves? Never mind, forget I asked. I have looked at one of the doves with hatred since I picked it out of the box and its the one with the hat. I based it and gave it a sloppy paint job. It does not deserve better.

post-10983-13911924407386_thumb.jpg

To figure out how to make me hate it a little bit less I looked at 1920+ magicians shows and saw the chair thingy, sorry don't know the name and really don't care. I made a small version of it and painted it and the base without base spraying it. Nifty I though but the glue on the chair didn't really cope. After a couple of minutes of controlled breathing I reassembled it and put the bird on it.

post-10983-13911924407867_thumb.jpg

Nice. but somethings missing.

post-10983-13911924408098_thumb.jpg

Playing cards. Now I just have to paint the rest.

I'll post Rasputina and some other tomorrow. Plus a better image of the dove. The light there is simply horrid.

post-10983-13911924407623_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nightshard

Alright then. I forgot to take an image of the stage. The wood glue I used made the wooden boards swell and bend a bit, then as it dried it contracted making it old, uneven and if anyone asks that shoddy work wasn't done by me. Even if it was. Oh well. Another detail to sort out like the magnets.

post-10983-13911924410998_thumb.jpg

Now back to the dove. The image is better but it still a horrid image because of the lighting.

post-10983-13911924411249_thumb.jpg

As it stood there it looked lonely and not bullied enough by the two other doves so I had to start painting them. As the magical puff smoke looked easy and quick enough to paint I based it white and had some fun with watered down paints. But as it is a dove and sole purpuce is to gang up at the hat bird it just received a slightly more colourful paint job.

post-10983-13911924411507_thumb.jpg

and the last one... The first thing I thought was that I really didn't like to have it directly on the wooden boards. A image of a table came and went in my mind until the idea of a bookstand made me smile. But a bookstand with my girls? The answer became No. My hands meanwhile were rebelling and a made that bookstand. As I didn't have any better idea Im just calling it a note stand. Some things are left and the model itself needs paints. But here are a preview of the birdies planing an assault upon the unsuspecting dove with the hat.

post-10983-13911924411773_thumb.jpg

And some some other things. I painted the Rasputina and Essence of Power into game ready status. I might fix some things later when I am not interested in my own models and need some change.

post-10983-13911924412044_thumb.jpg

*note to self, bring better light when taking pictures.

*note to self, ignore previous note until I care enough to fix it.

Edited by Nightshard

I dunno if you're in the states or not, but I go to Hobby Lobby quite abit, and in their dollhouse supply section, they have a "rollup" wood floor that I have been eying for my own Star project. Perhaps you could use your popcicle sticks for a subfloor, and use another wood surface as the "real floor", and include the extension off the front of it in the flooring.

Other than that, its looking like a very promising start, and I cant wait to see more

Hmm. I shall look into it. Not as much fun and less reasons to scream about it. But the floors I remember are a bit to... how would I phrase it. To ordered if that makes any sense? Maybe if I make a vip lounge or something when the time for the battlefield comes.

Edited by Nightshard

Alright. The last dove is done and drying. Now I can finally do something more enjoyable. Like starting with the showgirls. I added some candles to the dove with the book and painted it red. I added the candles to the side of the bird because it felt right.

post-10983-13911924421188_thumb.jpg

I have also worked on some details for the stage. However I do not have a straight and focused mental image on how it will go from here. Some stage light shall be added but what they will look like is currently a question mark.

post-10983-13911924421405_thumb.jpg

post-10983-13911924420969_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nightshard

Alright. Painting models or at least something enjoyable starts now while two different Malifaux games is being played. Two of the players also being introduced to the game. I wanted to play but got pushed into the corner. After some angry mutterings I got way to distracted to care.

I decided to start with Cassandra, the reason is simple: It was the fastest to prepare and pin because I really did not want drill it after it had been painted and I wanted to start painting directly. A white primer later and I was off.

post-10983-139119245314_thumb.jpg

Then for the clothes, I want my girls to have white or really pale clothes with some details. I started making the fold in a pale blue and then i made the folds more visible.

post-10983-13911924532065_thumb.jpg

I've never considered myself to be a good painter but it relaxes me. Makes me not want to throw things at the people playing a couple around two meter from me. At this point in time I'm thinking pink for the hair.

**This intermission is sponsored by the colour pink**

post-10983-13911924531203_thumb.jpg

post-10983-13911924531584_thumb.jpg

post-10983-13911924531841_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nightshard

After some healthy rule discussions and overall annoying topics they finished their game and decided to play some rpg in a home brew water world. I tried to finally play a game but was unable to find a willing advisory.

btw. I would love a Malifaux RPG, but hopefully with better text in it. *Sorry*

Alright. Cassandra. After some deliberation I decided that she wasn't a pink haired kind of gal. She felt... blue to me. So in short order her hair became blue.

post-10983-13911924532351_thumb.jpg

Purple bow completed her back and I thin the purple headband fits nicely with the blue hair. Four layers later and it was done.

post-10983-13911924532664_thumb.jpg

I then made the details to the side of the torso before finishing things nice and neat.

post-10983-13911924532899_thumb.jpg

Bit before I'll show the finished version I'll upload better images of the doves. and how far I've gotten on the corpse tokens to use by the gaming group. I might make specific ones for my girls. But as I do not like to see them die that may never happen. Damn you Seamus, kill my hat bird but leave my girls alone.

post-10983-13911924533736_thumb.jpg

post-10983-13911924533149_thumb.jpg

post-10983-1391192453343_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nightshard

Hmm... Another post after my own. Oh well, what can I do? Oh well. I decided to add stairs to the stage. They are large enough to slide base under the one above so that models may stand on it. Purely coincidental but kinda neat. What do you think about them?

post-10983-1391192453995_thumb.jpg

post-10983-13911924540192_thumb.jpg

I also made a piano on a 50 base. Its will be fun to finish.

post-10983-13911924540416_thumb.jpg

post-10983-13911924540635_thumb.jpg

Stage looks great! If you're still concerned about the uneven-ness, I'd just run some sandpaper over the thing to even it out. Some paint should then fill in the gaps a bit, and make them more subtle.

As for the book stand, call it a music stand (it looks more like one anyhow) which a performing crew definitely would have and you're fine.

Lighting: I'd go with the classic limelights; often they were designed to look like shells surrounding the edge of the stage for reasons that elude me.

Yes, the stage keeps irritating me immensely. I am thinking about using wood laminat used to decorate knives, boxes and the like. Its thin and bendable but more importantly cut and worked easily. I will cut narrow strips of it over a thin sheet of metal. I've looked into the dollhouse floors and as I though they are to even for the feel i want. (Sometimes I wish I was lazy.) Anyway after a test with that I'll start making the real thing. If that spans out into a failure there is also metal powder and resin, which I've played around with in the past.

Oh well, were was I? Oh, right. I was painting showgirls. I drilled and pined my performers first and gave them a white base coat. I used quite a lot of black base in the past but I now prefer the white base even if the model is planned to end up in dark shades.

post-10983-13911924644351_thumb.jpg

I started with the skin colour, something I always have problem with. I never get it quite right. Suggestions and helpful hints would be welcomed.

post-10983-13911924644648_thumb.jpg

I shaded the clothes in pale blue and then darkened the folds with a much darker and watered down blue like a wash. Some details and shading lather this is the result. I call them performer team red and green. when the mannequins are done they will be a lot of red and green on them.

post-10983-13911924644979_thumb.jpg

post-10983-13911924645263_thumb.jpg

Some additional details later and they are done. Or at least done enough to play with. There is something I do not quite like about them but cannot quite put my finger on what. I will probably work on them later when the rest of the models are finished.

post-10983-1391192464554_thumb.jpg

post-10983-13911924645881_thumb.jpg

**This intermission is sponsored by pun earlier in the post**