Malifaux Plastics, Glue, and You?

Malifauxcurr

I'm curious about this as well. I've been using Gale Force 9's hobby glue, which says on the bottle that it's good for metal and plastic models alike, but as a newcomer to table top miniatures games, it was a big thing for me to even start assembling/painting figures, so changing to a new material does have me curious what I'll have to change about my (admittedly burgeoning) technique.

Fellas in the office seem to like Guerrilla Glue.

This is the only superglue I use for models now. It's a high impact glue, so I haven't had a model fly apart when hitting the ground. In my experience it also stays where I want it, rather than getting everywhere. It's thicker like a gel superglue, without the brittleness issues I find in gels.

I DO still use plastic weld, Testors makes a great glue container with a sweet nozzle.

Yeah... it sounds like I was trying to chat up glue now :/

Edited by Ciaran

It's not potency or density that are the real problems, it's whether the solvents in your glue react properly with the material.

I've been searching on the web for this for a while. I've heard pure acetone recommended, which is an interesting but kinda crazy idea.

Also "Plastic Weld" (example) has been recommended.

There also seems to be some liquid glue that will do the trick.

ABS is a well known and popular plastic, you might find that labels will tell you if the glue will work on it. (note that ABS is not polystyrene.)

hi all! Official answer time! I've just been working with this stuff a ton, and having a ton of conversations with my manufacturer about chemical makeup of plastics...so at the moment my head is full of all this.

If you see my last blog post, our plastic is actually NOT 100% ABS (check my blog for more details), however, being an ABS mixture means that it is in fact denser than most of your standard poly products. Plastic glue WILL work on it, but I found that it's best to chat with your local hobby store expert to find a plastic glue which is the most aggressive available. I've actually got about 4-5 options and testing them out, to see if one does work noticeably better than another.

We also know gorilla glue works nicely as well, although it doesn't bond the plastic like a plastic glue, it's a very very high quality super glue (not talking about the standard yellowy wood-glue-like stuff). Note also that plastic glue is pretty useless sticking plastic to metal, so if you have base inserts, for example, go with the super glue.

Thanks!

Thanks for the detailed reply Eric.

Looks like the Europeans might have to do some experimenting ourselves (as I've not heard of Gorilla glue). Wonder if I can get our materials lab at work interested once my models arrive?

Hobby craft have it.

http://direct.hobbycraft.co.uk/products-Gorilla-Glue-60ml_345239.htm

hi all! Official answer time! I've just been working with this stuff a ton, and having a ton of conversations with my manufacturer about chemical makeup of plastics...so at the moment my head is full of all this.

If you see my last blog post, our plastic is actually NOT 100% ABS (check my blog for more details), however, being an ABS mixture means that it is in fact denser than most of your standard poly products. Plastic glue WILL work on it, but I found that it's best to chat with your local hobby store expert to find a plastic glue which is the most aggressive available. I've actually got about 4-5 options and testing them out, to see if one does work noticeably better than another.

We also know gorilla glue works nicely as well, although it doesn't bond the plastic like a plastic glue, it's a very very high quality super glue (not talking about the standard yellowy wood-glue-like stuff). Note also that plastic glue is pretty useless sticking plastic to metal, so if you have base inserts, for example, go with the super glue.

Thanks!

Thank you Eric, that's exactly what I was looking for!