Viruk's paintlog

Viruk

@Deanster - I highly recommend using Andrea black set for painting this color. It's great for fine highlights but it also makes working with black much easier and faster.

---------- Post added at 09:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 AM ----------

@Darios - you bet :) In fact, I'm working on my entry right now :)

My Dakka Dakka entry is almost finished. It still lacks the secret key ingredient that I hope will add some awesomeness to it but I hope to get it by the end of the week (Friday is the deadline).

@Evilbleachmn - at first I bought these from http://www.minimonsters.eu/ but then I found slightly better ones (with more texture on planks) on Allegro - a Polish online auction website. Still, those from minimonsters are good enough - I used them for the bases of Daydreams and Stitched bases that you can see in earlier posts in this thread.

Going back your thread abit, really like your Guild Guardian! Glad to see someone try to execute something similar, you basically aimed for the same thing as me but did it many times better! You paid great attention to that green rust tinge, the only thing I could see as improvement was the OSL on his eyes if you meant to make them OSL in the first place

@Nickienogger - as I've written, it took me about an hour to paint the Guardian so I cut some corners there and as you rightly pointed out, the OSL could have been better :)

I've painted three Alps for my Dreamer crew. I used some random bits for the bases as I wanted to reflect in them Alps' ability to pop into existence out of nowhere and land wherever they're summoned. I've done some repositioning of their arms and added a bottle to the one smoking a cigar - I thought that he'd look more like a party animal with it.

post-8493-13911926301668_thumb.jpg

I've also used water effect for the first time and poured some of it into the bucket (having painted the bottom blue first).

post-8493-13911926302006_thumb.jpg

They were fun to paint and now I'll probably start working on the Gunslingers if I find some time while working on other larger projects I currently have on my plate :)

post-8493-13911926301326_thumb.jpg

You never cease to amaze me. Love that one guy's hat as well.

That stuff you used to make the water effects: does it dry out eventually?

I am considering in picking some up for myself but I would rarely use it and wouldn't want it to go to waste somehow... Especially since the stuff is expensive. lol

It depends on the Water Effect used.

• The Woodland Scenics Realistic Water is a wet product and can be stored in the bottle indefinately (though has to be poured in several thin coats or will cloud and dry with an uneven surface). This also has a longer dry time. It is great for sealing an area before applying E-Z Water.
    *This is also often rebranded by other companies.

• The Woodland Scenics Water Effect is a paste (similar to but very different than caulk) however is only suitable for creating Waterfalls, waves, ripples and other "fast moving" water effects. This product is meant to enhance the others. It can also be used for Snow Effects and produces a very realistic "wet Snow" look (especially if used with snow flock or Powdered Glass as opposed to Baking Soda).

• The Woodland Scenics E-Z Water is a melting product that will go to waste if you make to much (however is the quickest drying and has a realism enhancing slightly yellowish tint to it). It may also peel paint as it cools and shrinks (so cleaning, priming and sealing are required to insure good adhesion before application). This one usually dries in a matter of minutes as opposed to several hours like the Realistic Water and Envirotex.

• Another option is EnviroTex Lite. It is a 2 part epoxy that will need to be mixed together. Any extra mix will be wasted however until they are mixed together they will store indefinately and you control how much you are mixing together. It is a very durable product that can be poured a bit heavier than the Woodland Scenics Realistic Water. The only real pitfalls with this product are controlling the amounts that are mixed together (to much or little of one will effect the final result).

With either Envirotex or Realistic Water I strongly recommend using some sort of pipet for application. Keep in mind these two products will climb surfaces slightly due to capilary action.

I use all of these and which one I reach for depends on what I am applying it to. Large terrain projects E_Z Water is my go to. Small puddles/ Mudd features is Realistic Water (unless I need to apply several layers to create depth i.e. swamp type features). Larger water features (that aren't terrain) is the EnviroTex Lite. Water Effect is used for all snow projects and also to enhance the other products by creating the illusion of moving water (the stuff is great for water falls especially).

Hope all this helps.

Edited by Omenbringer

Here are some of the mins I'm currently working on:

I've put together Santana. I used GS for the base as without a thing layer there, the sand tends to sink in ans the base looks hollow.

post-8493-13911926324073_thumb.jpg

A slightly modified Teddy. I'll be running two of these and since I got rid of the Nightmare version (didn't really like the scale - seemed too large), I wanted to introduce some variety and used the spare nTeddy head. Cutting off the original one was a slow and painful process and I ended up... chopping it away with an axe ;) I resculpted the fur around its neck and it looks OK after priming. You may say that he looks too grotesque or that the head doesn't fit there very well and my answer to that would be simple: Widow had a bad day.

post-8493-13911926324269_thumb.jpg

And finally, three Witchling Stalkers. Those are one of my favorite sculpts from the Malifaux range and their fluff is nice too.

Also, their magical runeblades will come in handy when dealing with spirits.

post-8493-13911926324518_thumb.jpg