Viruk's paintlog

Viruk

I tend to forget about keeping my back straight when I'm very focused on something ;)

Now I have a big commission to work on (LotR Moria and some Gondor) but I'll try to keep on doing at least 1-2 Malifaux minis per month along with it. I now have some tough choices with picking my next Malifaux minis. A guardian / Dark Debts / Gunslingers / Pale Rider / aJustice / Hooded Rider / Snow Storm / Executionist / Coppelius / Lelu & Lilitu / Guild Hounds are waiting to be painted. Some are assembled, some still sit in blisters. Tough choice, any suggestions? :1_Exhausted_Puppet:

Hah, I hope my wife doesn't get to see it as it would reveal my secret ;)

And thanks for suggestions, they'll definitely help me in choosing next minis for painting. Right now I'm leaning towards the Guardian as I plan to start using him (and as a general rule, I avoid gaming with unpainted minis). I'm not a big fan of the official paintjob on the Pale Rider and plan to give mine a darker look but this one will take a while even to assemble. Still, very tempting. Dark Debts - I plan to first read their fluff in order to get some ideas for colors though I may just try to paint HD at some point to see how painting can improve the look of my not-so-favorite sculpt from the range.

• Like 1

I finally had time (while my wicked dolls are drying) to take a good look at your stuff,

I must say it is very impressive. The sombe tones you used with the guild make them once of the best guild crews I've seen so far. The way your trees turned out makes me wish my Avtar lilith was plastic. While we both used a simillar pallete for the trees the plastic trees have a softer and to me more natural detail than the metal one of A'lilith and be a bit lighter in weight also lol. Still some impressive stuff here and hopefully more to come.

I vote on the pale rider as it needs to be painted in a way to do the model justice :D

• 3 weeks later...

I got this mini after Demonn sent me a link to an auction. It's a very noble cause and I do encourage you to take part in it. The mini costs just $10 and the shipping's free. It's fun to paint and I had a blast working on it. Here are the effects:

post-8493-13911925768552_thumb.jpg

And a true Superhero shot:

post-8493-13911925768985_thumb.jpg

You can still get SuperJ on ebay - this seller has the mini in his offer.

post-8493-13911925768274_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

So disappointing that pics of my back while taking pics weren't met with unanimous enthusiasm :1_Exhausted_Puppet:

Oh well, here are a few shots of the latest addition to my Guild force - the Guardian. I didn't like the way he looked like after I put him together so I decided to do some bending. I really like the sculpt as it has the king of twist that is characteristic for Wyrd minis. The legs are very thin and his beetle-like torso with the head mounted in it have a slightly comical look. I tried to go a bit further and repositioned him so that he looks as if he was making a clumsy step over a broken column.

post-8493-13911925780883_thumb.jpg

post-8493-13911925781179_thumb.jpg

The painting on this one was very quick and took me about one hour. I started with black basecoat over which I applied a layer of Vallejo Old Gold. It's a great paint as it gives a very solid color after just one layer. I used gold from the Andrea set to make a few highlights and worked with glazes of light brown and very light green. The shield and the hilt were done in pretty much the same way, I just used red washes instead of light glazes.

post-8493-1391192578146_thumb.jpg

post-8493-13911925847386_thumb.jpg

The greenish residue around the screws on his shield and body was done with green wash. I know it's not a realistic effect but I wasn't planning on making the weathering look realistic. My goal was to keep the paint scheme simple and centered around the gold I used for the main body. Adding a blue glow in its chest was also quite fast and I finished it off by simply painting a thinned down light blue around it. The tombstone on the base matches him to the graveyard theme I use for my Guild.

Now I have some non-Malifaux stuff on my workspace but I will definitely try to paint at least one more mini either for Guild or the Neverborn later this month but for now I'll leave you with this one from my favorite guitarist:

• 5 weeks later...

Time for an update, here's Coppelius.

post-8493-13911926221367_thumb.jpg

I just love the sculpt. Receding hairline, weird tentacles instead of mouth, tail coat and torn pants.

I tried to get an ugly, old look on his skin to go with the tattered clothes. His pants were a bit of a challenge as I wanted to paint red and yellow stripes (like in the catalogue pic), which wasn't that easy as he's in a dynamic pose. I added some green glazes before final highlights to add age to them too and I think it worked out pretty well in the end.

For some reason I can't get rid of the glossy look on black elements that I get in the pictures, irl these elements are covered with matt varnish and don't shine.

I just wish Wyrd would write more about his background as he's basically presented as some kind of old, nasty creature from you-don't-want-to-know-where. And then there's the matter of his connection with Hoffman...

post-8493-13911926221623_thumb.jpg

Om Nom Nom Nom

post-8493-13911926221092_thumb.jpg

Edited by Viruk

Being a Henchman, now that would be cool. I am considering applying but will have to sit down and give it some serious thought. I just don't know if I can spare the time it needs. And I need to discuss that with my wife first ;)

@Demonn - you don't want to know that ;)

@CloudFang - I tend to favor smooth highlights while painting and rather avoid going from very dark to bright shades. I guess the gloss (especially seen on Coppelius' tail coat) is the effect of lighting but I do try to keep the protruding areas slightly brighter than the recesses. And I almost always hear that my minis look much better in real life than in the pictures ;)

Thanks for the comments guys. Here's a sneeak peek of what I'm working on now - three little friends for Coppelius :)

post-8493-139119262849_thumb.jpg