A shooty crew?

Swe_Racoon

So I've been looking around at the various factions and somehow got stuck at the Outcasts. Now as the title says I'm looking for a shooty crew, rather than close-combat monsters which seems to be more of the Neverborn's domain.

What I've been looking at mainly is Von Schill (because the Freikorps just look awesome) and Sum'er Teeth Jones (because green is best and funniest). Now, I'm not overly sure anyone of these would make a good shooty crew, but from what I gather that seems to be the case.

If there are other Factions that can do it as well, do tell. Nothing's set in stone as of yet, but I always tend towards the guys with the most and biggest guns in other miniature games. Unless of course these guys are utterly inplayable, in which case I'd probably go with them anyway :-P

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Well both Som'er Teeth Jones and VonSchill can be run as shooty crews. Ophelia though generally runs the Gremlins better in the gunline configuration so you might want to take a look at her as well. The big downside for Som'er and the Gremlins is that they have a much higher cost of entry than VonSchill.

As for other crews that can be run "shooty" take a look at Lucius from the Guild.

For shooty, Neverborn and Ressers are about the only Factions that really suffer in this department.

Perdita is a good recomendation as well for a "shooty" crew. In truth the Guild has a lot of options in this department with Death Marshals and Witchling Stalkers both having a ranged weapon (and both are contained in the starting crew boxs for Lady Justice or Sonnia Crid).

Gremlin gunline with Ophelia (with or without Somer) has the greatest potential for gunline style play. Massed ranks of Bayou gremlins for 2ss each with a range of 12" (I think) can be pretty effective.

Most of the LaCroix kin have 8" range, which can leave them vulnerable to counters.

Alternatively VonSchill with 12" range and multiple Trappers could give decent ranged options.

Been looking up the Death Marshals a bit, and beyond falling in love with the Lady Justice model (that hair is all I can say), it seems I will get a chance to playtest Malifaux this Wednesday at the local gaming place. Apparently, the guy is going to bring Death Marshals among other things. A good a chance as any to get a feel for the game and the crew, I'd wager.

+1 reason to play Death Marshals.

Yeah, but they don't do it in game. They'll probably get a few good bullets into opponents, but their melee isn't great and doesn't really involve their coffins, except with a (2) spell I basically never get to use because you can't move and then cast it, and when a Marshall is in melee he's likely to die. (I really wish Finish the Job was a (0) spell, would make them more likely to put out some melee damage before being chewed to pieces by zombie hordes.)

The Exorcist is great, and he can do the magic weapon aura (thankfully a (0) action) but he's painfully slow-moving. Even taking wounds for extra movement, it's difficult for him to keep up. Ideally, another Marshal would be able to give him Finish the Job and then he could hit something a couple times and do Blessing of Banishment, but that takes at least three models being in melee, and melee is generally not where they, well, survive. It's a shame.

Had my first game last night, and I enjoyed it big time. Rules (as we were told them) were easy to grasp and things went rather smooth (beyond my opponent having to help his mother-in-law with a stereo via cell phone).

Got to play with Lady Justice, 3 Death Marshals, Scales of Justice and a Judge, and I found them fun to play with (and rather shooty), despite me loosing. A very fun, and to me, unique game. Malifaux can add me to the player roster almost without a doubt!