Building Malifaux One Table at a Time

Pagan Wolfe

Gladly. I am in the process of finding a reliable online file sharing thing...any tech heads with advice? Should I do a torrent or a drop box thing? I tried sharing some template files I did, including an awesome blast marker with handle' but it only worked for a very short time. I also have some full skins for modern stuff like shipping containers. Once again just print, glue cut and assemble.

Gladly. I am in the process of finding a reliable online file sharing thing...any tech heads with advice? Should I do a torrent or a drop box thing? I tried sharing some template files I did, including an awesome blast marker with handle' but it only worked for a very short time. I also have some full skins for modern stuff like shipping containers. Once again just print, glue cut and assemble.

How big are the files your wanting to share?

Dropbox works well but if they aren't too big I maybe able to help

Not too much. First, the door is exactly the same size as one of the double windows in my set, the one with brickwork pillars on both sides of the actual frame. Also, leaving out one panel for a larger door makes being precise less nessecary.

Otherwise, yes, I did have to play around a bit but that was mostly to find a shape I liked.

Edit.

Looking at the bits the large window is the one that fits above the door for the second story. It is exactly the same size as it takes the doors place on floor 2 and higher.

• 7 months later...

Thanks for the renewed interest everyone, I will certainly get this back on track!

I don't run at a club so have had to make all of my own gear for running events. I am mostly dedicated to a group of what I lovingly call 'garage gamers'. We are all a little older, grumpier and completely non-competitive. We did all that when we were young and had the energy.

Good examples, Malifaux 2nd Ed... 90 minutes for a game? Nah, with all the chatting and laughter we have it takes all night (4+ hours...waaaaay to slow for most other gamers we have met).

Having a guy sit across from me at a tournament, look at my crew that I had foolishly got out, watch him put his away and then custom build a counter crew that tabled me in turn 3 was kind of the last straw for me and a similar story we have all had. Just to lazy so we play casual extreme.

So now I run leagues and painting comps for all the lads and lasses in the Armadale through Mandurah way and even remote 'report by post' for a few players in the South West country. Sometimes I will have a GAMES DAY where I have three or four tables running all at the same time! Although nothing has been happening of late as we wait for M2e and bash Through the Breech RPG in the playtest.

But, anyway, life story over... over the weekends I shall unveil the great train yard! I am running a through the breech massive battle on it tonight and will be sure to take photos.

I don't run at a club so have had to make all of my own gear for running events. I am mostly dedicated to a group of what I lovingly call 'garage gamers'. We are all a little older, grumpier and completely non-competitive. We did all that when we were young and had the energy.

I want to like this, but Thanks isn't exactly appropriate.... I am seriously impressed by your table-fu.

I too am old and grumpy (but dislike painting and building!), but I do play at a club with fluffy lists and people who won't play tourney lists unless you ask them to. Much more fun IMHO.

that is cool to hear, if you are up for a game on a Friday we have a club that we play at quite regularly KRAGS, we do have the young ones playing 40K but the guys that run it are the old timers and we meet from 730pm till midnight and yes we can take that long to play our games. We have been known to play till 1am.

so if you are looking for a game give us a try or PM me and we can catch up for a game. We also are in limbo while we wait M2E.

You are playing the RPG, when it comes out and I get my books I would like to get into an RPG so if you have an open place in the future there could be a couple of players from the club who would play as well.

Good examples, Malifaux 2nd Ed... 90 minutes for a game? Nah, with all the chatting and laughter we have it takes all night (4+ hours...waaaaay to slow for most other gamers we have met).

Thoroughly get this. I've had plenty of marathon games with my friends. We talk more than we play I think.

Well, I hate this season Flu. Just can't seem to shake it off. Miserable germs.

Anyway, excuses aside for being late to post I thought first up this time I would explore another take on scenery... BOUGHT stuff! Now, I have nothing against bought stuff and many people have said they don't have the skills, time or equipment to build their own stuff. So I set out to try and make an interesting table on a budget. Total cost of what is to follow? $30 Australian dollars and everything was bough brand new! An entire table for $30! And it only needed the most basic bashing to bring it up to speed using things anyone who paints and builds models should have. So onwards with...

The Train Yards

I was up at the shops with my kids walking through the toy department, inviting disaster, when I spotted some train sets. Most are too small but there was one set that looked to be G scale, although nothing was printed on the box. Don't know your scales? No problems if you know the rough size of you models. Now, granted, this is still a bit on the small side but it is pretty darn good. Ran it under the scanner to check the price... on sale for $18! SOLD! Now, being a nob end I forgot to take a photo of the box, but I got everything shown here in the set.

IMG_0655_zps620c8f5e.jpg

Now, I based the telegraph poles and signs on some spare 30mm bases I had using superglue and sand. i also gave them a quick lick of paint and they came up pretty well. Honestly, next to no time and $18... looking good.

IMG_0656_zps9c04546d.jpg

Then I spotted a big bucket of farm animals (it was basically Buckt O Farm). It had fencing, greenery and animals in a big transparent tub for $12. Many of the animals were completely the wrong scale (like the giant mutant turkey that would be almost as big as teddy!) and got sacrificed to my children. Once again I mounted the greenery on some bases using sand and glue and ended up with some pretty darn good results!

IMG_0658_zps05739809.jpg

IMG_0660_zps8819e560.jpg

IMG_0661_zps858394dd.jpg

Ok, so the colours are garish but that is pretty easily fixed if I wanted to put in the effort. I played a game on a table set up very similar to this one the other night with Perdita vs Lilith and it was awesome! Small amounts of soft cover, signs and fences counted as hard, trains and wagons were blocking... it was just great!

Now for the second set I recently made.

Walls... no wait, towers... I mean fortifications... ???

IMG_0663_zps32b2c6d2.jpg

So these are made out of 8mm MDF and I will be doing up a tutorial with plans for these shortly as I need MORE. You can see that each is made from a rectangle front plate and a small ledge at the top big enough to stand a 30mm base. The sides are wedge shaped and not only make the whole thing very stable but allow for a fairly effective looking battlement when placed together.

IMG_0665_zps4a8402bb.jpg

But that is not all! If you turn them and place them back to back you get a watch tower.

IMG_0664_zps4e830880.jpg

But hang on, if you then stand them in the right pattern you get a fort!

IMG_0666_zps1cfc3a2d.jpg

Then you mix and match to make whatever you like!

IMG_0669_zps78df8cac.jpg

IMG_0668_zpsbf102a01.jpg

Here is one set up I had for a game of Through the Breech

IMG_0671_zps4638aecc.jpg

IMG_0672_zpse2912e1a.jpg

Once again, I love the ability to chop and change my scenery to make a new table every time I play. As you can see I chucked in stuff from the rail yards with the walls to make the TtB table. If you are a backer head over to the preview section for a bit of the story that goes with that lot :)

Anyway, back to feeling sorry for myself with this flu. More on the walls to come soon! Promise.

Edited by Pagan Wolfe

• 1 month later...
Now, I based the telegraph poles and signs on some spare 30mm bases I had using superglue and sand. i also gave them a quick lick of paint and they came up pretty well. Honestly, next to no time and $18... looking good.

They look great. I don't think the train is G, though, as my G scale / gauge train dwarfs the models and the terraclips. [Then again, G is a wide range of Gross sizes.]

So these are made out of 8mm MDF and I will be doing up a tutorial with plans for these shortly as I need MORE. You can see that each is made from a rectangle front plate and a small ledge at the top big enough to stand a 30mm base. The sides are wedge shaped and not only make the whole thing very stable but allow for a fairly effective looking battlement when placed together.

Looking forward to the tutorial. They are quite versatile. Get well soon.

• 3 years later...

Threadnomancy.

I'mmmmmmmmmmm BACK baby!

I have come back to the Malifaux fold after an extended stay in Battletech and Alphastrike.

Coming soon: The Graveyards and Underground Cave / Mines.

This will bring me to a total of 12 different tables with modular terrain, making every game different.  I have even had to make a chart for players to flip a card for the type of terrain the game will be played on!

I hope to have the Graveyards tutorial / blog up within the week.

terrain chart.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...