Crew selection fun!

JisaacT

Ok so I wanted to generate some disscussion on crew selection. So every 24-48 hours I will post a scenario for a random game. This is all for theories sake and the post what crew you would take during the hire crews step.

You choose the Ressurs. As your faction. Your opponent chooses to go with the arcanists. Your team flips deliver a message. Your opponent flips destroy the evidence.

What do you choose? You are the ressurs remember. Keep it as this faction and we will switch tomorrow.

Edit: post what scemes you would choose if you do desire to fit the strats needs

Ressurectionists Crew - 35 - Scrap

Seamus, The Mad-Hatter
--
7 Pool

• Punk Zombie
    [5ss]

• Punk Zombie
    [5ss]

• Rotten Belles
    [4ss]

• Rotten Belles
    [4ss]

• Rotten Belles
    [4ss]

• Shikome
    [8ss]

I don't play Ressers, but the idea is to lure my opponent away from the evidence and or kill his crew and the Shikome or Punks will deliver the message.

Ressurectionists Crew - 35 - Scrap

Seamus, The Mad-Hatter
--
7 Pool

• Punk Zombie
    [5ss]

• Punk Zombie
    [5ss]

• Rotten Belles
    [4ss]

• Rotten Belles
    [4ss]

• Rotten Belles
    [4ss]

• Shikome
    [8ss]

I don't play Ressers, but the idea is to lure my opponent away from the evidence and or kill his crew and the Shikome or Punks will deliver the message.

I would do this, replacing the punks with von schill amd the simple and a belle with 2 ten thunders brothers. Von schill still perform the job of the punks, amd the ttbs would sit on the opponents objective in defensive stance.

I see this hasn't been posted on in a while, and I think it's an interesting idea, so here's one of my own. It's actually based on a game I played recently, and I'm curious how others might build a crew.

35SS scrap.

Your opponent picks Outcasts (and you know this means they'll be playing either Leveticus or the Viktorias).

You pick Guild. You have access to Perdita, Lady Justice, Hoffman and Sonnia, along with almost every figure they can work with except for their avatars.

You flip Shared Treasure Hunt for a strategy.

Edit: for clarity, I'm not asking anyone to 'do my homework for me', but as a new player I thought this would be a fun way of asking for input and seeing how others might handle something I'm finding remarkably difficult to deal with (moreso Leveticus, Viks are a nasty fight but at least it's not raw shenanigans from beginning to end).

Edited by Forar

I don't really play Hoffman but out of the other three I like Perdita for this. Guild really can't compete in the speed department so I like to build a crew that can guard the treasure while wearing the opponent down until you can grab it. I like an Executioner as a guard...with Perdita and her totem both Obeying him he can Charge twice plus his move should get him on the treasure. Support him from range with Santiago and DMs and just kill anyone that gets too close.....then Perdita can swoop in for the treasure.

If anyone other than an enemy Master gets the treasure you can Obey them to drop it or bring it your way. By the time you're ready to grab the treasure, Santiago will probably be at the point where he gets an extra walk action also, so he might be a candidate to pick it up.

The new Riflemen might be good for this type of denial since they can shoot farther than the DMs, but there is usually a big scrum around the treasure and the DMs might be better for that since they can melee if they need to.

Guild Crew - 35 - Scrap

Perdita Ortega
--
6 Pool

Enslaved Nephilim [2ss]

• Death Marshal
    [4ss]

• Death Marshal
    [4ss]

• Executioner
    [7ss]

• Santiago Ortega
    [7ss]

• Watcher
    [3ss]

• Witchling Stalker
    [4ss]

For schemes; Hold Out is kind of a no-brainer, and since I rarely ever lose Perdita I'd probably take Bodyguard.

Interesting.

What I ended up running in an attempt to grab the treasure was as follows;

C. Hoffman -- 4 Pool

Mechanical Attendant [3ss]

Guardian [7ss]

Peacekeeper [9ss]

Ryle, Guild Pawn [8ss]

Warden [5ss]

Watcher [3ss]

I let him setup first, then put my entire force back in a corner, with the Guardian surrounded by the others (Warden and Ryle up front for clear LOS) while Hoffman and the Peacekeeper started closer to the treasure. I got first activation, moved up, my opponent did something I can't recall, I reactivated the PK with Hoff to pick up the treasure and walk 4", then Leveticus walked up and casually knocked the PK to 1 wd in 2 spells. From there it was a simple matter for the rest of his crew to trash PK/Hoff, and down two of my best models, I called it.

Now, if I did things again, I'd have activated my other figures first (as my opponent suggested as we broke things down) and then snagged the treasure, but I didn't know if he had something that could get to it first, and didn't want to have to chase him, especially leaving such a solid defensive position.

On further thought and discussion, I believe I should next time try a Perdita or LJ led crew of long range hitters.

The obey chain suggestion also holds some appeal, though against his usual stuff (Viks or Leveticus/Ashes and Dust/Desolation Engine/Other horrific things) I'm not sure I want to be in melee range of any of them, though the Executioner would make a fine target for forced movement and charges to get the most out of his personal activation, whether it was on retrieval duty or simply defending a threatened ranged unit.

Our usual crew consists of another Guild player, an Arcanist, said Outcast, and a Neverborn player, and the Outcast is the one that, through both skill and units that simply don't obey the usual rules I expect them to (example: Jack Daw is shenanigans) it's always an uphill fight.

... and that is your rambling context for the day. I'm also open to other suggestions if anyone else has one.

Lucius

2 Guild hounds

Ryle

Guard Captain

Drill sergent

2 Guild guard

Austringer

If you win initiative, you can do a mini alpha strike.

Companion Lucius with the 2 hounds. Move Lucius up 10 Inches and re-enforce the dog onto the treasure counter. (If you aren't close enough Lucius can issue command to move him nearer). Dog collects counter and brings it back 10". Guild Guard can cordon areas off to help protect areas.

I link the drill sergent to Ryle to improve his melee, and give me some control over his free push.

The Guild guard, austringer and Captain can all also be included in the activation if you need.

I would consider bodyguard and Hold out as schemes.

Turn two against Leveticus I would aggressively hunt the waifs down. Lucius with reenforcements and the Austringer mean that it is hard to hide them.

Against the Viks, I would try and keep them at range as much as possible, trying to pick off one of the Viks to prevent movement tricks.

Holding slower crew back on turn one, to allow them to be re-enforced on later turns can be useful.