Adverts in the wyrd board posts

Hey,

So in alot of the posts at the moment some words are underlined/hyperlinked and when hovered over they display adverts, and it's only on the wyrd forums...

Confused!

Its not just wyrd forums, ive seen them all over the place...they're the new kind of popup. As i understand it, its an ad that shows up through a form of script injection when the page is loading...their most prevalent on forums and blogs for some reason.

Your in luck though...there is a way to disable them

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie8-windows_xp/double-underlined-text-ads/8b7426d3-8c9d-4b05-842c-051e4cd30268

I haven't seen them at all, and we haven't inserted them on purpose. I wonder if it's something that has infected your browser.

---------- Post added at 03:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 PM ----------

Hey,

So in alot of the posts at the moment some words are underlined/hyperlinked and when hovered over they display adverts, and it's only on the wyrd forums...

Confused!

Can you link to an example?

So I did a little research into these ads and they are known as IntelliTXT ads. They are enabled by embedding a script on the site that looks for keywords and links advertisements to them for revenue sharing purposes. Since your the only one with the problem, that would indicate that you machine is likely the culprit and not the boards themselves, so you probably got a virus that is injecting the script when you load the page, even though wyrd didnt add anything like that.

My suggestion is to download and run 'malwarebytes'. It is a free, trusted, and powerful malware removal tool. If that doesnt work try googling 'IntelliTXT virus removal'.

Good luck

Between Malwarebytes and Spybot - Search & Destroy, that should get almost anything. Malwarebytes is a better removal tool, but Spybot's "Immunize" function is a nice way to reduce the risk of reinfection.

Also, if you don't have anti-virus on your machine, download the free version of Avast: http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download

You will have to register with an email address, and renew it once per year, but it's been worth that for me for a few years now.

I've seen that type of thing in the past. Sometimes when you download something....like a game or when you update something........they'll be a little box in the terms and conditions that is pre-checked and if you don't uncheck it it'll download one of those advert programs.