Toronto inbound

Mako

I'm not exactly new, but I am relocating from the wilds of north England to Toronto, so I thought I'd post up to see what goes on there!

I won't have my stuff with me at first, but it's in the first shipping box for when I've sorted out my address. And by the time that arrives, I could well have had a minor gencon related buying incident that will provide me a crew to use in the meantime...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I can't speak for Toronto, but not too far south is Rochester, NY, which is my neck of the woods. We are a slowly growing group, and are hoping to get some bigger events going at some point. I'm also not adverse to traveling a bit for other events, so if you hear of things up there, let us know.

Aha, I knew there'd be a henchman somewhere there, but I couldn't find the list that I thought was up on here somewhere!

Cheers folks, it's good to know I should have people to play with when my stuff eventually appears (nearly two months shipping time...)

Very timely thread Mako! :) I am also inbound to Toronto, arriving there probably end of September. At the moment, I live in Montreal, where we have a good community... hoping to find a good community in the Toronto area as well.

I am in temporarily in Toronto, until mid-August. I'm not sure what the community is like, but there is a fantastic game store called Meeplemart that stocks Malifaux and has open mini gaming on Tuesday evenings. I haven't been to the mini gaming night yet - anybody on these boards game there? Anybody in Toronto fancy a game?

A word of warning if you decide to go - the store is kind of hard to find. There is no sign at street level and you have to ascend an unmarked stairwell inside a loft complex to get to the entrance.

• 1 month later...

Ok folks, I've seen a few things about Toronto being a bit quiet for Malifaux, so I thought I'd ask who was in the city (or close enough that gaming in it is good for them) and what kind of experience level they were. I'm right near the university, and know the rules and how to play, but it's a basic working knowledge, I probably only have ten games or so under my belt. And they were with Kirai.

Secondly, if I got in touch with some of the places around the centre (the two I know of are dueling grounds and meeplemart, if there are others in the city let me know), would people be interested in a casual tournament or some event like that? Nothing too serious, just to get us out and playing.

Hey Mako, I am arriving in Toronto Sep 12th, and will be looking for players/community as well... so if we don't find an existing community, I guess we will have to build one... :)

I have models to spare (basically the whole guild, everything that Kirai can take, and half the outcasts), so we can definitively look for stores that have a good playing area and are interested, and we can try to do some demos and attract some players. :)

I will PM you... cheers!

Well, we'll certainly give it a damn good try! Would be good to get people in from around the place, boost up numbers and have a laugh. And of course, the chance to win fabulous prizes. Well, not that fabulous, but I'm sure we can scrape something together!

The more interest I get on here, the more we can sort out.

Awesome, with Mister Shine we are 3, and we can grow from there! :) Color me excited! I also have a good selection of painted crews, so we will be fine for demos, etc.

And good to know that Dueling Grounds have Wyrd stuff, even if a small selection. Probably a sign that we can put special orders and if we get a community going, it will be probably in their interest to carry more stuff in stock.

CannonFodder, you will be most welcome! As soon as I get settled, you will have a place to stay. :)

Cheers

I paint slowly, so only my Colette&Kaeris and Collodi crews are fully painted, but Im halfway done my Seamus and I have unpainted Zoraida, Dreamer, Leveticus, with LadyJ&Lucius and Dark Debts currently on their way to me.

I can also bring some TerraClips for terrain needs (although the store has a fine sellection as well)

Well I'm in Scarborough, would have no problem going downtown for a game. I usually get together with my friend Steve over at X-Planet in Mississauga. BUT, would love a chance to get some fun games in.

Mostly a Seamus player here, but I do own the other Ressers (and Levi).

I have loads of terrain, forests, buildings, terraclips, castles... wow I have a lot of junk.

Hey MrSpiffypants, glad to hear from you as well! It seems the future is looking bright after all! :)

Does X-Planet carry Malifaux?

I don't have much painted terrain, but I do have a Zuzzy mat that I want to paint as it is quite good to play Malifaux.

Glad to see some players are moving to Toronto! It does seem like the Malifaux scene is a bit on the light end, and space to play can be a bit limited. From my wanderings around the GTA, there are pretty much 3 spots that are easily accessible by TTC;

On the east end you have Meeple Mart. Unfortunately, they are only open for limited hours (5 to 10 on Tuesdays and Thursdays, noon to 5 on Sundays), but they do have open play tables with tons of terrain, and seem to have the best selection of Malifaux stuff around, possibly all of Toronto.

More to the middle you have Dueling Grounds, which I admit I haven't been to, but I know they host some fairly large Magic pre-release tournaments, so I'm sure the rumours I'm told of them having lots of space must be true. No idea what their stock is like, but their site doesn't list their products beyond a select few.

Then on the west end you have Heavy Support Games. I've only been by there once, but they seemed to have a good sized play space, didn't notice the terrain situation, but their Malifaux selection is tiny. Literally a number of crew boxes and maybe half a dozen blisters, and from what my friends (who go by a bit more often) have told me, that supply has dropped.

Obviously from MSP's post there's also X-Planet, and I'm sure there are other shops across the city, but those top three are the ones I have either personal experience with or at least a good number of friends or acquaintances that can speak up for the shop.

There are a good number of other comic and game stores in town (401 Games, Hairy Tarantula, Silver Snail downtown alone) that can be sometimes used just to grab paints, deck protectors, brushes or other assorted odds and ends, but they have minimal or nil for play space. Well, 401 has tables, but zero terrain that I've seen, I think theirs is used more for card games and table top RPGs.

Anyway, I have recently been made a Henchman for Toronto, so hello and welcome to the area! There are 5 other players in my usual game crew, and another pair out in Whitby who've recently been inducted into the ranks of Malifaux players, so hopefully this is a trend we can build upon!

By all means, please feel free to check out the area. If that's local for you and has a suitable open play area, all the better.

I'm a very recent addition to the HM team, and while I've got a couple dozen games under my belt, I'm still working out how to best start organizing demo/painting events, leagues and/or eventually tournaments, should community interest and available space permit such endeavors!

Well, if there's anything we can do, I know Shine, Snord and I will help out, and probably a few others too, so between us we should be able to get things sorted. I've had a bit of practice organising painting events back in England (and painters are so disorganised it's unreal) so am used to trying to get people, time and spaces to collide usefully!

I live just a short walk away from Dueling Grounds(for now, I will be moving in a few weeks), and last time I checked, they had no Malifaux stock at all. That being said, it's a great store with a good sized play area downstairs and the owner is a really nice guy so I say go for it.

Also, I just want to add that I've been playing Malifaux for over a year now and there has been no community at all. Glad to see something may be starting up. I usually just play games with my group of friends, but I'm open to trying something new!

Excellent, it seems there are players in Toronto after all, we just need a place to get together and start organizing a few events.

I am not officially a henchman, but I organized several events here in Montreal (achievement leagues, tournaments, etc), although when our friend Gnam became a henchman he took over and was doing it himself. One of the easiest things to get people started is the achievements league, but tournaments also help, depending on the meta.

Mako, if you can, please check Dueling Grounds out. Even if they don't carry Malifaux at the moment, but if the owner is willing to put special orders, I am sure that as soon as he figures out that there are consumers, he might start stocking it. It is the same as any other business. The important part is to have a place where the community can meet and where we can organize the events. If he is ok with that, and he has the space/terrain, then it is good enough.

One advantage of Dueling Grounds is that it seems it is easy to get there both by public transportation or by car, but we can also consider other options if they exist. Meeplemart and X-Planet from previous messages in this thread.