Starting with Guild - New to Malifaux

Hi all,

A colleague and I came across this game by chance, and thought it was pretty interesting. We'll we don't know of any groups that currently play in our area (silicon valley), so we're jumping straight in. He is going Neverborn (The Dreamer and Pandora box sets), and myself with the Guild. I decided to Sonnia's and Hoffman's starter sets. I don't know if this was an unwise choice to begin with, but it's too late to turn back now. I wanted to ask the community a couple of questions:

1. Is there a group anywhere close to silicon valley/SF bay area that is currently running?

2. Any basic starter advice, especially referencing the masters chosen? Or material/resources to reference? We're playing it by ear right now.

3. This is my first miniatures game. I have no idea how to paint these guys. Any resources I can look to with for that as well? At that point I might as well throw them in a can of paint with the skill I have for that.

4. Where can I find more of the fluff for the story-line? I would really like to read more about the setting and characters beyond what I see on the website.

Please forgive my noobishness, and thank you all in advance for having me in this twisted community.

check out the pullmyfinger wiki for info and tactica on most of the models and masters in the game - its pretty useful.

buying the bigger rulesbooks (rising powers, twisting fates) will give you lots of fluff and background.

also, its worth listening into the malifaux podcasts (gamers lounge, cheated fates radio, malifools, aethervox and lost boys radio) for lots of good info on all aspects. There are even some you tube videos availiable (soul train, joeyfaux) that might be worth watching to get more of a handle on things.

good luck,

Joel.

Just an FYI for the guild selection, you picked the 2 hardest ones to effectively master, now i'm not saying they aren't as good or better then the other two( mainly cuz I don't wanna start an opinion thread) but Lady Justice and Ortegas are easier to learn on as both crews are real straight forward from beginning up thru advance tactics.

I agree with Ductman, Sonnia probably being a bit easier. That being said, if you stick with them and learn them without constantly buying new masters (as I have done, I'm about to start my fifth even though I've only been playing for a few months), you'll be fine. Book 2 and book 3 especially has good fluff for you to get into Hoffman and Sonnia.

As for your Neverborn player, those masters are also hard to learn and have specific styles. Once you get good with them though, you'll be great.

All in all, welcome aboard and we all hope you enjoy the game!

(Also, everyone digs giant robots)

There is a local Malifaux group in San Jose/Santa Clara area. The Local Gaming Store is called Game Kastle.

I played with the local Malifaux group and they are cool to play with. The local henchman Megnc86 (Megan) and TedPro is a local player too. So drop a message to Megan or TedPro and they can set up demo games for you and your buddy.

As for basic starter advice.. get at least the mini rulebook ($15), a fate deck and play some games.

As for painting advice, you can look up Hot Lead Painting videos.. youtube is an excellent resource. But to get you started, get some primer paint and a few colors that you like. I bought the Privateer Press Formula P3 paints while others prefer the Vallejo or Citabel line of paints.

The books, this forum and the podcasts can give you more fluff and background. Also, check out Ratty's site for some resources (crew builders, pdfs and counters).

I am the Neverborn player and I traditionally play for fun. If I don't like the look of a model than I just won't use it so this should be fun. I chose Pandora and Hamelin specifically for that purpose. I was going to grab the Dreamer just for the name Lord Chompy Bits but I saw the figure and I wasn't a fan. I loved the release of the model that came out at GenCon but it seems that was a limited release.

Thanks for the wealth of information on where and how to get started with this. I am an avid miniatures player but Malifaux was new and interesting to me.

If you want a quick and easy way of painting, you can't go wrong with the 'dip method'.

Purchase:

• a can of black undercoat spray;
  • a single medium brush;
  • half a dozen little pots of acrylic paint: brown, silver, black, white, flesh if you're painting humans, and your choice of 'team colour'.

Do each stage en masse for a group of models:

• Spray with black undercoat;
  • Paint leather, boots, belts, straps etc. brown;
  • Choose a 'team colour' and apply it to coats, hats, scarves etc.;
  • Paint flesh some kind of flesh colour;
  • Paint metal and weapons silver;
  • Liberally apply dark brown wood varnish to the whole model.

The wood varnish will magically shade your models, bring out the detail, and also make them indestructible.

Edited by WarlockFiretop
added shopping list.