The Union Strikes!!!

Nickienogger

Sometimes if you get the white varnish issue, if you leave it to dry then respray the solvent in the spray will dissolve the gunk and it will look OK again, though metallics never look quite the same and might need a repaint.

I never spray varnish in certain weathers and I have a sacrificial Zombie which I give a couple of blasts before using varnish on a finished model.

On the white film, it happens due to moisture being trapped under the varnish, I believe. When you apply the spray, bring the model in and put it under a hot lamp. The heat will evaporate the water. Ever since I learned this technique, I've never had the white film. Same trick works when you already have the film: do a light spray over the model, then put it under the lamp.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for all the incredibly useful tips on varnishing and avoiding the white! Be it reglossing... weather watching... sacrificial zombies and hot lamps.... thanks so much!

Here's my latest updates... sorry been gone a while. Better late than never!

Simulacrum 29. This model is so freaking awesome. Such a joy to paint.

2012-08-29204842.jpg

2012-08-29204901.jpg

2012-08-29205115.jpg

Uncle 'Meat' Sebastian, from miniaturefactory.net

2012-08-29205624.jpg

2012-08-29205602.jpg

C&C welcome, thanks for looking!

Next up.. polish up the dogs and the entire crew is finished!

That's both gruesome and awesome. The Simulacrum is just a nasty piece of meat! I like the way you painted large areas of skin - nice shades and highlights without making it look dull. Sebastian looks excellent too but I think the chainsaw could use a few different shades of metallics.

Thanks for the comments D and Viruk! and thank you for following my thread all this time :)

Viuk, totally understand the lack of shade variety on the chainsaw. different shades of metallics would be good but I took the easy route.

unfortunately i get pretty arsey about going back to paint models. maybe i'll correct him soon :P

Nickie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Haha. I do like your stuff. :)

I am still working on how I will paint my Dead Justice crew. Either I stick to my guns and keep them in my Undead/Rezzer scheme or I go for something entirely different. It really depends on how I will use them.

What do you use the two Effigy models for in that crew? Or are they more to compliment the undead crew models?

For this weekend's update I started up with some Kirai. and plan to proxy ten thunder brothers as Gaki. Vengeful soul devouring japanese warrior daemons! I find that they tie in the japanese mythical spirits theme better than Gaki who to me, look like flamers of tzeentch or something.

And since i dont expect to use the second Onryo in game that comes in Kirai's starter set.. I've decided to convert her on a 50mm base to proxy as Jakuuna Ubume. chained body and posts from Warmachine's Wracks. Got em dirt cheap ages back for a potential conversion project... here it is!

20121208_164605.jpg

Tell me what you think!