Gencon 2012 - Malifaux Events

nilus

Hello everyone,

I've been asked by the folks at Wyrd to help run the Malifaux tournament events at Gencon this year. Planning is still under way but we thought getting a post up on the forums with the information we have now would help people decide what events they would like to register for. This thread will be updated as more info becomes available.

---------------------------

Rules for all Malifaux tournaments

All tournaments will be run using Gaining Grounds

(http://www.wyrd-games.net/Upload/MalifauxGainingGround2011.pdf)

Following all the rules for an Official Malifaux event. These includes:

Painting Rules

In an Official Tournament, a player is required to have fully-painted and based models

without any visible bare metal or primer. The paint job should look like the painter made

an effort to stay within the lines and enhance the appearance of the model with their

painting. Bases should not be bare.

No Proxies will be allowed

Converted models must be at least 67% made of Wyrd manufactured pieces and/or original sculpture.

All schemes are consider unique in a tournament and may only be used once

All Malifaux tournament events at Gencon 2012 will be using the Domination scoring format

We ask that all participants show up to events 15 to 30 minutes ahead of time to register.

----------------------------

The Events

Thursday Noon till 4 PM - First into the Breach

A 3 Round Story encounter Tournament

25 Stones, Fixed Faction

Cost $6

Seats 36 (0 remaining)

Top 2 players will qualify to play in Sundays Avatar of Malifaux Event

https://registration.gencon.com/events/33984

Thursday 6 PM till 10 PM - A Wyrd Encounter

A 3 Round Beginner friendly Tournament(Fix Shared Strategies)

20 Stones, Fixed Faction

Cost $6

Seats 36 (0 remaining)

The top player with qualify to play in Sundays Avatar of Malifaux Event

https://registration.gencon.com/events/37790

Friday 10 AM till 2 PM - One Way ticket

A 3 Round Fixed Shared Strategy Tournament

25 Stones, Fixed Faction

Cost $6

Seats 36 (10 remaining)

https://registration.gencon.com/events/33999

Friday 3 PM till 7 PM - Swing by the Hanging Tree

A 3 Round Story encounter Tournament

25 Stones, Fixed Faction

Cost $6

Seats 36 (0 remaining)

https://registration.gencon.com/events/34005

Saturday 10 AM till 5 PM - Master of Malifaux

A 4 Round fixed Shared Strategy Tournament

35 Stones, Fixed Faction

Cost $8

Seats 36 (0 remaining)

Top 9 players will qualify to play in Sundays Avatar of Malifaux Event

https://registration.gencon.com/events/34009

Sunday 10 AM till 4 PM - Avatar of Malifaux

A 4 Round single elimination Fixed Shared Strategy Tournament

35 Stones, Fixed Faction, By Qualification only

https://registration.gencon.com/events/34013

----------------------------

Please feel free to post any questions in the thread below

Edited by nilus

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to use an official Wyrd deck. No idea if Puppet wars ones are allowed or not, but I'll be bringing over a few fresh decks anyway. There was a thread somewhere, were someone had created a different looking deck. That for example wouldn't be allowed.

Here is a thread with such a deck

http://www.wyrd-games.net/showthread.php?22544-Custom-Fate-Deck-a-rad-B-Day-present-project-from-my-awesomesauce-wife!&highlight=custom+deck

Edited by Leggo

Will it be required that the miniatures bases not be bare, I personally choose not to add anything to the base, does this mean I can't participate?

Gaining grounds requires all models be based and bases not be bare. We are not picky on how its based, whether it be a fancy base insert, static grass, flock, texture paint or sculpted green stuff flooring, but it must be something other then bare plastic.

• 2 weeks later...

Tickets updates again.

Also so the big news last week. Ten Thunders!

I have been asked by a few people and yes any models released at Gencon are tournament legal, assuming you buy them and can paint and base them to the Gaining Grounds standard before your event.

I have a quick question about the 'Beginner Friendly' event...what keeps this from being an 'experienced players dissimate beginners event'? I think my son and I will sign up for that event but we are both still pretty 'green'. I am hoping to play some more before GenCon, but not entirely sure how many games we can get in (I also need to paint his crew).

Neither of us mind losing, but I am afraid of showing up to be wiped out in the first turn...

Thanks,

Tim

I have a quick question about the 'Beginner Friendly' event...what keeps this from being an 'experienced players dissimate beginners event'? I think my son and I will sign up for that event but we are both still pretty 'green'. I am hoping to play some more before GenCon, but not entirely sure how many games we can get in (I also need to paint his crew).

Its really the just the honor system but we will keep an eye out for any real ringers and tell them to reign it in if they get out of hand.

As a player who has had only had 2 or 3 games under my belt, would joining the more "serious" events be frowned upon? I honestly don't care if I show up and get my brains beat in, I just need to get some games under my belt/want to actually play this game I have put so much money into.

I dare say that everyone who played in any tournament last year had a blast. I don't remember hearing anyone walking away upset or anything. I even got annihilated in Round 2 of one game, and it was still fun! :)

With somebody like Nilus running the events, and other Henchmen helping out with things, we'll make sure then fun-factor is at the top of the list.

Yep, the first priority is to make sure everyone is having fun. There will be several Henchman Judges at working each event to help answer questions and keep the events flowing. Malifaux is still a very new game for a lot of people(It hard to believe its will only be turning 3 in August) so the skill level in any given tournament is going to vary a lot. Personally we are lucky because I find even the most hardcore Malifaux players to be generally very nice guys and gals so if you end up getting paired against them I am sure they will give you a fun enjoyable and educational game without to much brain beating.

Also its always worth the time to talk with the TO before the game begins and let them know your skill level and what you are looking for. There are times when we have some leeway in the pairings and can shift people around to make sure people will get the most enjoyable game.

Awesome. I had heard last year it was nice for newer player, but wanted to double check. I have heard to many horror stories of scummy players blatantly cheating/playing like jerks just because a new player dared to enter for fun.

Not saying it wouldn't/ couldn't happen but everything I saw and heard about the tourneys last year was very positive (and I recall a number of newish players).

• 2 weeks later...