Rules for demo games?

I don't know if this is the right section, sorry if it isn't.

So I've searched the forums and found threads on which armies to use, at what size, and how to present the game when demoing it for people, but...

1) Should I use ALL the rules for Malifaux or introduce a group of them each game (puppet wars-style).

2) Also, should I throw all the rules at them as we start the game or bring up each rule as it's applicable?

Finally a friendly critique of Wyrd; as someone just getting into the game it would have been nice to have the option of a "beginner's box" that came complete with two armies, two card decks, and intro as well as expanded rules. As a longtime wargamer I was okay getting into Malifaux without a local Henchman, but I'm thinking there's a lot of people who don't want to surf the web to find two balanced armies and study the rulebook before their first game. Just sayin :)

Hi,

I have heard there may be an official demo script but unfortunately I do not have it.

In the demos I ran at Adepticon, I used 3 models on each side, a master and two lesser minions.

For the first two turns, I used the top half of the cards to go over movement, charging, ranged attack duels and melee attack duels. I tried to stay away from the bottom half in these turns.

For the following turns, I started to use some of the bottom half of the cards. I went over a spell casting duel, using soul stones, and a few triggers and abilities.

The purpose of the demo was not to overwhelm the people with all the options but to show some of the complexities of the game system. It's also to go through as much of the base rules as you can in about 30 minutes so you can run demos for other people. The other purpose is to lose if you are playing against a new person.

After the short demo or if no one else is looking for a demo, you can start with more models and use all the rules from the beginning.

Hope this helps.

Most of the starter boxes are pretty good just as is, some are obviously better then others but for the most part they are decent to start with.

When I was running demos I would start with explaining the stat cards, and showing them the cards and suits. I would include AP, card modifiers, and movement (I never really have to go over movement long, it's pretty intuitive).

Then I would slowly increase the difficulty. I would show them a basic duel (strike) with some hot Ronin-on-Ronin action. Once I felt he had a hold of that, I would give him a hand of cards and show him the cheat mechanic as I continued the hot Ronin-on-Ronin theme. Then I would upgrade his model to Sword Vik and surround her with some Ronin who were silly enough to helpfully stand in a group and explain triggers.

After he whirlwinded around a few times, I would then introduce SS and SS use and explain that spells are kinda like a strike but you have to lock in the total before resisting. In all, it takes me about a half hour to a hour depending on how fast they pick this up to show someone the game.

I've run 1 or 2 demo games. Generally speaking I throw in more rules depending on what I think/know the person has played before.

If they're totally new I take a turn and explain to them what I'm doing and why.

If they've played games like Warhammer or Infinity, I take things a bit faster but I still take a turn and explain.

If they're part of the local WarmaHordes gang...I just explain abilities, tell them that everything is a solo and take a turn to kinda show them the differences.

1) Should I use ALL the rules for Malifaux or introduce a group of them each game (puppet wars-style).

Use all the Rules, however see below...

2) Also, should I throw all the rules at them as we start the game or bring up each rule as it's applicable?

Mention the big ones first (cheating, SS use, simple and opposed Duels, etc), then bring up some of the more specialized rules as they come up.

The most important though is to "convincingly lose", this is more difficult then it appears as it means you can't just lay down but have to actually try to win and end up losing (without the new player feeling like you went easy on him). The best advice I can give to achieve this, is to select the more difficult Schemes for your Master/ Crew combination.

Finally a friendly critique of Wyrd; as someone just getting into the game it would have been nice to have the option of a "beginner's box" that came complete with two armies, two card decks, and intro as well as expanded rules. As a longtime wargamer I was okay getting into Malifaux without a local Henchman, but I'm thinking there's a lot of people who don't want to surf the web to find two balanced armies and study the rulebook before their first game. Just sayin :)

Though a suggestion with some merit is is a lot more difficult to do then say for Warmachine since their really aren't 2 crews that everyone would absolutely want (unless they tried the Privateer Press model with Monterspocalypse, which didn't really seem to pan out for them). So the juice might not exactly be worth the squeeze.

Edited by Omenbringer

• 2 months later...

It might be beneficial for you to hear this from the point of view of the newbie. The demo game I was given was great, the models were nicely painted and I chose Rasputina and left lady justice for the demo-er. Before we played he explained about using cards instead of dice (we normally play warhammer at the club) and showed me the stats. We then just stuck the models on the table and started a normal game while he explained each rule as it came in to play. I think it was better this way than to show some of the rules in the first few turns then some others as the game progresses. I suppose it depends on who you are showing, but that really worked for me.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been fiddling around with demos, and this is what I've been trying:

First, I remove both Jokers from the decks. The game is complicated enough without explaining the special rules for two cards, and the Jokers can turn people off if they show up at the wrong time.

Like Shadai, I start off very simple, with a Death Marshal versus an Ice Gamin (although maybe I should just use two Marshals). I explain the top half of the card, with the stats. Then I explain the concept of action points. Then I set up the models and explain Strikes, which leads to Duels. I don't give the players a hand at this point; I just show flips. This usually leads to an explanation of Triggers.

Then I introduce Cheating. I give the players a hand of cards and let them try it out. Spells are a short step away, since the only real difference between a combat duel and a casting duel is when cheating happens. Finally, I introduce Masters and the concept of Soulstones. When all these are settled, I let the players pick out their crews and go for a game.

Finally, all my demo crews have reference sheets (check my sig) that have all the common actions in the game (Walk, Charge, Channel, etc.), as well as the explanations of all the the crews' traits and triggers. Malifaux has a LOT of special rules, and I wanted to give new players a nice way to find them all in one place without feeling overwhelmed by constantly having to ask questions. I find that after the first few turns, players tend to get into the swing of things pretty well.