Bleached Models - My Ongoing Malifaux Projects [Heavy on Images]

I picked up some new models to mess around with. Sooo much to do. Hahaha. I did get carried away, but it was definitely gonna be a load of fun!

post-10280-13911923125858_thumb.jpg

These are my proxies for Mindless Zombies. I just had to have them as they look soooo much better than the originals (Sorry Wyrd...). Also it is a huge lot, generally something worth having when you plan to play Nicodem.

post-10280-13911923126718_thumb.jpg

My Resser models. Avatar Seamus (Yes, he will have the awesome orange hat as well) and Nicodem to accompany my hoards of undead zombies. The huge base is for Seamus. Not Nicodem. Duh.

post-10280-1391192312764_thumb.jpg

Some new models for my Pandora crew. She can't live off of sorrows forever. A neat little side project to my Ressers. I especially like the Lilitu model. She's probably going to be the most fun out of that bunch to paint. Haha.

post-10280-13911923128591_thumb.jpg

Some mercs for my Resser crew. Jack Daw and the Desperate Merc are nifty models. Though my Jack Daw is kind of wobbly below its feet. Might have to do something with him.

The Miss Demeanor I actually purchased on Ebay (already sculpted). The person who sculpted her actually has a really awesome thread on this board. Haha. Kudos again for the awesome job here.

post-10280-13911923129543_thumb.jpg

Here's the yellow I mentioned before that I wanted to pick up. Its a foundation paint, meaning it should cover pretty well. I will have to experiment with it.

The two wee ones there are actually freebies I got for a painting competition at my local store! I am to paint them and display them in any way I see fit. Do you guys have any ideas? :P

I really like the choice of those pale colours on the Red Chapel gang, very cool!

I especially like the Belle where you painted some of the stones of the pavement green, it creates a nice contrast to the models.

Thank you! Its a bright color scheme, but kind of pale. I wanted to use bright colors but not so bright that it would blind the opponent.

I wanted to offer a little variety on the bases as well, as I am using presculpted ones that all kind of look the same after a while (partially because they are!). So I went for varying colors to achieve the effect of different bases.

Great stuff all round, the Doxys look especially creepy.

Thank you! I actually like the Dead Doxies more than the Belles and enjoyed painting them more than the other gals. Even the one with dreadful yellow. Haha.

Try Genestealer Purple for the doxy I think it would create an interesting clash with that orange.

The thing is, I try to give each of my gals a unique and individual color. Since I already have a purple tone that is a little dark too, I would rather try something I don't really have.

I considered brown and black, but I think those colors are too dull for a 'lively' undead showgirl. I will finish painting the Dead Doxy sometime today. I am still leaning towards a dark green tone, seeing as I have a light one already.

Thank you so much for showing those Westwind Victorian Zombies - they are indeed utterly perfect for Mindless Zombies.

As for the painting, I always love it when someone has a quirky, unique style and you certainly qualify. Very fun feel in your minis and the results look great! Your work has a certain, almost dream-like, quality that fits Malifaux IMO.

Thank you so much for showing those Westwind Victorian Zombies - they are indeed utterly perfect for Mindless Zombies.

As for the painting, I always love it when someone has a quirky, unique style and you certainly qualify. Very fun feel in your minis and the results look great! Your work has a certain, almost dream-like, quality that fits Malifaux IMO.

Indeed, they are a blast. Just a tad bit short, but not too short to look decent with the masses of Malifaux originals. :)

Thank you! It is kind of funny in a way. My friend and I both started Malifaux and he painted his 'good' Lady Justice crew in dark tones and darker colors, making them look a tad bit realistic and also dark. I on the other hand have a colorful force, almost making me think that I was high the moment I came up with that color scheme. Haha. I do enjoy it! Look forward to more models! Gonna post some more later today. :)

I haven't been able to paint much yet. Gotta go to a concert soon, otherwise I would be done with Doxy #2 sooner. Here is a sneak at my progress thus far. She is washed in teh different washes I planned to use for this model. Next comes the highlighting.

post-10280-13911923132108_thumb.jpg

post-10280-13911923132919_thumb.jpg

I went for a dark green as it would best contrast with her hair. Similar to the Belle with blonde hair and purple as her side color. Tell me what you guys think so far!

I like the way you approach these minis, they look great in a group, all painted using coherent color scheme.At this point I think it might be a good idea to add some deeper shades to the orange cloth in her mid section.

Thanks! It was my intention to have them appear as if they belonged together. I didn't need to wash anymore, as I still had to add highlights and the normal orange tone would look relatively dark in comparison.

Speaking of, here's my finished Dead Doxy #2!

post-10280-13911923142078_thumb.jpg

post-10280-1391192314298_thumb.jpg

To be honest I am not too happy with her. I am content to use her the way she is though. Time to paint a damned peeing zombie pug. Yuck!

Nice painting overall, but I agree on your #2 Doxy's opinion, there's something on her that doesn't fit, and I feel it's the feathers there.

Anyway, please put some white background next time behind the model when you take the pictures, as you use colours so similar to your skin tone that sometimes it is hard to notice all the details on them

Nice painting overall, but I agree on your #2 Doxy's opinion, there's something on her that doesn't fit, and I feel it's the feathers there.

Anyway, please put some white background next time behind the model when you take the pictures, as you use colours so similar to your skin tone that sometimes it is hard to notice all the details on them

I think it is my choice in painting cewrtain parts certain colors. I should have done the shorts in grey and her top in orange. Would have offered a better set up from her frontal version, as I do like her from behind. Haha.

I have light issues in my apartment. I use those tall lamps that shine upwards for general lighting and use a desk light for painting. Unfortunately the sun hasn't really been coming out much these past few days, if so then only for a few seconds to hide behind a cloud again. Once I have a large part of the crew finished again I will take a group photo somewhere else on a nice white background. :)

Here are two new finished models! First off a peeing zombie pug. Silly model. I painted it just like my other dogs.

post-10280-13911923144313_thumb.jpg

post-10280-13911923208847_thumb.jpg

And I also finished my first Totem. A Gravespirit. The thing I wanted to do with ghosts and spirits is to make them relatively colorless. I think it helps make them look lifeless and not even animated, as the rest of the undead in my crew. I did have to find a way to work out a way to combine my two colors together though. Being orange and grey. So I decided to give them an orangish glow emitting from the eyes and then a couple 'landmarks' to be orange of the model. Usually weapons they will use to attack. I plan to paint The Hanged like this as well, once I get them. :)

post-10280-13911923209979_thumb.jpg

post-10280-13911923210967_thumb.jpg

I also need some advice an/or suggestions as to how I should paint my Necrotic Machine. My problem is I have very little metallics in my crew and I actually would like to keep it that way.

The Machine, however, is still very metallic and I need to find a way to make it coincide with my color scheme of orange/grey. Do you guys have any ideas or suggestions as to how I should paint the damned thing?

I'd recommend a couple of things. It won't be easy, but it might look really good. When I do metallics, I tend to layer them out. So, for a rusted, aged look, I use Tin Bitz (a dark bronze) and I'll drybrush it lightly with Boltgun Metal. I'd start there. After that, I'd do patches of paint on the model, to make it look like it was originally painted grey and orange, but the paint has erroded off over time, showing old metal underneath.

I also need some advice an/or suggestions as to how I should paint my Necrotic Machine. My problem is I have very little metallics in my crew and I actually would like to keep it that way.

The Machine, however, is still very metallic and I need to find a way to make it coincide with my color scheme of orange/grey. Do you guys have any ideas or suggestions as to how I should paint the damned thing?

Do what I did with my Necrotic Machine. Paint the plates grey and paint only the joints and some of the inner workings metallic.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i200/10011970/New/necroticmachine.jpg

If you want to have little metallic you could paint it like a car, as in a car is metallic under the paint, so you could do your grey over the model as a hole. To show that it is metal you would need to put some paint chips with a metallic paint to give it the impression that it is a metal killing machine with a paint coat over the metal. To do the paint chips you could add rust(brown/bronze) and a sharp silver at the edges of it. you can do this through painting or paint it all sliver or whatever metal chips you want let it dry, then place salt or sand on the model paint it the color you would like then pick the salt or sand off and it will give you a chipped look. You can do it how ever you want as long as you think it looks cool and keep up the good work :1_Happy_Puppet2:

I'd recommend a couple of things. It won't be easy, but it might look really good. When I do metallics, I tend to layer them out. So, for a rusted, aged look, I use Tin Bitz (a dark bronze) and I'll drybrush it lightly with Boltgun Metal. I'd start there. After that, I'd do patches of paint on the model, to make it look like it was originally painted grey and orange, but the paint has erroded off over time, showing old metal underneath.

I actually like this idea a lot. I would actually coat the metal parts with boltgun metal and then wash it with black. After that comes a thin layer of tin bitz with a follow up wash in a black/green tone I have. It adds a brass touch to it, as brass turns greenish when it grows older.

After that I could do the layer up. Would probably take me a couple days to paint though, as I would have more layers than I do on other models.

Do what I did with my Necrotic Machine. Paint the plates grey and paint only the joints and some of the inner workings metallic.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i200/10011970/New/necroticmachine.jpg

I have considered this. I might actually still do it, as I will most likely end up painting the machine in my grey tone than the orange one. In orange it would be too dramatic and take off focus from the master I use it for. I could always paint the joints in a mix between orange and bronze. Making it lighter and somewhat more fitting in the overall theme.

If you want to have little metallic you could paint it like a car, as in a car is metallic under the paint, so you could do your grey over the model as a hole. To show that it is metal you would need to put some paint chips with a metallic paint to give it the impression that it is a metal killing machine with a paint coat over the metal. To do the paint chips you could add rust(brown/bronze) and a sharp silver at the edges of it. you can do this through painting or paint it all sliver or whatever metal chips you want let it dry, then place salt or sand on the model paint it the color you would like then pick the salt or sand off and it will give you a chipped look. You can do it how ever you want as long as you think it looks cool and keep up the good work :1_Happy_Puppet2:

The idea with sand sounds very interesting! I might have to try that out sometime. Though I am not sure I want to try it out on this model. Do you by chance have an image of the finished result of such a method?

On a side note: I have been pretty busy and haven't really been able to paint much or contribute much. I have finished one of my Crooked Men, but have yet to take a photo of it. Currently I am working on Molly (to compensate for having to paint that dreadful crooked man model...). She should be done soon too. Here's an image of my crew thus far. Still have quite a few models to finish up for Seamus' little gang.

post-10280-13911923227444_thumb.jpg

Still have left:

-Molly (WIP)

-Necrotic Machine

-Copycat Killer

-Bête Noire

-The Hanged (2)

-Canine Remains (1)

-Crooked Men (2)

-Desperate Merc (female)

-Miss Demeanor

-Jack Daw

-Seamus, Avatar of Dread

(Any wishes what to paint next after Molly? Haha)

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't been here in aaaaages. Ha ha. Sorry for the long wait. Been pretty busy with everything and little dry phase popped up. Here are some pics of what is currently going on in my projects:

post-10280-13911923479291_thumb.jpg

Some random models I prepped for base coating. The fourth and final dog in my pack of undead canine remains and the little copycat killer are for my Seamus crew. The rest are eitehr for my WIP Pandora crew and a possible Perdita crew (Undecided on this yet. I just love the model).

post-10280-13911923479977_thumb.jpg

Remember those zombies I posted previousyl? Working on their bases now. Added some sandy components for gravel and digged up earth for a later time when I am going to work on them. First I wanted to get working on a McMourning crew after Seamus, but I will go for Nicodem first, seeing as I have $$$$$$$$tons of zombies to paint.

post-10280-13911923480615_thumb.jpg

WIP Molly, wolly. I am actually having some slight trouble with the orange mass of her dress. So it is taking longer than I expected.

post-10280-13911923482075_thumb.jpg

post-10280-13911923482806_thumb.jpg

A finished crooked man. I dispise this model for its ugliness. I do have to laugh at how bright the orange pants make it look and I can thus enjoy it more than before. Disliked painting this ugly mofo though.

I can't wait to see your finished Molly. Lookin good so far

Thanks! Haha. I am going to make some large alterations to her though. I seriously am having troubles with my painting method on the orange part of her dress. I will swap colors and paint it grey with orange highlights instead. She wont be as orange as before but that will be okay, as she already has orange/yellow hair to compensate.

nice work

Thank you! I try, haha. ^^

When is Miss Demeanor going to get some paint?

Hard to say. I haven't been painting for a bit as of late and am kind of rusty. So probably after 3-4 models.

At the moment I have planned:

Molly

Canine Remains (My fourth and final one)

Necrotic Machine

Either I will start working on some Mercenary models after that or I will finish up my two crooked men remaining. It might take a while until I actually paint her. I do want her to look really good. She is a limited edition model after all. Haha.

Got any ideas how I could paint her to fit my current color scheme? I was thinking of orange hot-pants and definitely a cute little brunette. Any other ideas as to what I should color what on her?