Bleached Models - My Ongoing Malifaux Projects [Heavy on Images]

Hi there! I am pretty new to this forum and I decided to share my pretty sloppy models and just rant and rave about my current projects with you guys.

This thread will be full of pictures and I hope you don't mind scrolling through the (future) pages to see more of my progress and finished models as I go along.

First off I wanted to show you guys my little Seamus crew. I have plenty of additions but these are the first six finished models (definitely more to come). I wanted something really odd and awesome for my models. Seamus, crazy as he is, suggested I use something flashy and bright and he got a real kick out of the idea of walking around in bright orange while on a night's prowl to 'recruit' more belles.

(Side note: Here is a tutorial on how I paint undead skin!)

post-10280-13911923017832_thumb.jpg

post-10280-13911923019592_thumb.jpg

post-10280-13911923021113_thumb.jpg

post-10280-13911923017043_thumb.jpg

post-10280-13911923018902_thumb.jpg

post-10280-13911923020391_thumb.jpg

Edited by Evilbleachman

Here's the whole group together. :D

post-10280-13911923088419_thumb.jpg

Those are bad ass. How are you getting that pastel effect? I must steal it.

Well I tend to highlight with a mix of greys and off white colors. The grey parts are all highlighted with a mix between the original grey tone and that extremely bright orange I use.

My matt varnish probably helps out there a bit as well. Glad you like them though! Haha.

I love the paint job on Seamus. I really like how vibrant the colors are yet they are muted in the pastel look. Great job on all of them. I look forward to seeing more. :D

Thank you! At first I was unsure about using such a bright color scheme, seeing as Malifaux is actually pretty dark and has a gloomy setting. I am really pleased with the way this turned out.

I really like your style of painting. They look fantastic.

Thanks! There are more to come.

I like the look of them, tho do find it odd that Seamus knee pad things are the same color as his pants, but I love the orange you did on him keep up the great work:1_Happy_Puppet1:

I have to agree that the pads are kind of iffy. I had a hard time deciding what to do with them, partially because they are the only thing I would complain about the model. Seeing as knee pads do not really fit a suited mad hatter much. Haha.

I went through my color base. If I had used brown it would have been too much down there with the boots and the bag. The grey tone wouldn't have really improved it either, seeing as I highlight it with a peachy orange.

I could have used a metal based paint, like I did on the blade, saw, barrel of the gun and boots. But I just don't like the look of metallic paints, especially since thus far Seamus is my only model with such parts/paints. I just went for the dark white and must say I am still pretty happy with it.

Would you have any recommendations or suggestions?

Now that is a unique style of painting. Bravo.

Thank you, Sir!

Its the grey and orange thats doing it. Thats what I was trying to figure out. They all have a unifying hugh. I may try that with other colors and see what I get. Thanks for the info!

Yes. I grew up with other table top games, mostly Warhammer and Warhammer 40k. After years you grow accustomed to the general unifying look of your models on the table, all in the same color scheme and painted similarly to another.

Malifaux is a game with a lot of rather unique models and potentially you can paint every model as a unique individual for the game table. I dislike this though. I prefer a way to identify them as a group (much like modern day gangs wear silly headbands of the same color, etc...). Thus I had to come up with a way to make them look different, but also alike in a way.

I can list my colors I use and also make a 'how to' on painting these models.

Edited by Evilbleachman
Removed extremely large smileys. :D

Here's the next model to the bunch. I would like to say 'Another bitch for Seamus.' but the animal is actually male. Haha.

post-10280-13911923089219_thumb.jpg

post-10280-13911923090256_thumb.jpg

I feel somewhat iffy about this model. Mostly because of the base and that it doesn't go with the color scheme for my Resurrectionists. It's pretty obvious that I cannot paint the dog orange. Haha.

The base I chose because I imagine these hounds roaming the suburban areas and wilderness surrounding in packs of animated dead. So no cobble stone bases for my hounds (for that matter any form of animal I have planned for my Ressies).

I painted the model in a bleached bone color and added some brown spots for good measure. After that a nice full body wash with a dark brown color and them dry brushed it with some bone color + rotten greenish skin tone I used on my Belles and Sybelle.

After that another lot of heavy duty washing with reds, greens and blacks. Add small details and pooch is ready to fetch some bones. Even if they are still attached to their owners.

A side note concerning my current 'to-be-painted's: I am currently working on my Resurrectionist gang as well as my Neverborn woes. I wanted to alternate between models. At the moment I am working on a Sorrow, which should be done momentarily, as I have to only finish the base. I will most likely finish off the other two immediately after, seeing as they do not really take any time for me to paint.

Any of these Resurrectionists you guys want to see painted next? I'd paint one of them after the nifty Sorrows. ^^

-Molly

-Grave Spirit

-Necrotic Machine

-Canine Remains (x2)

-Dead Doxies (x2)

-Crooked Men (x3)

Well for suggestions, I also don't like it so I would have gone one of to ways. ether I would have painted the scarf, cloth and knee pads the same color. by this I mean a third color that goes with orange, this would two things, one make the knee pads fit with the model as a hole and two the scarf would draw the person's eye to that spot and the face which is usually the focus of the model. Like the one undead girl that has red feet as soon as I look at it I look at the feet because the are brightest part on the model. options two green stuff shave the knee pads down and green stuff them. this is what I would have done but they still look great.

Here's a finished Sorrow for my Neverborn lineup. I am nearly done with the last two. Lots of dry brushing here.

post-10280-13911923093382_thumb.jpg

post-10280-13911923094483_thumb.jpg

Here is a sneak at the other two. This is the job before the wash and the tons of dry brushing.

post-10280-13911923095391_thumb.jpg

Well for suggestions, I also don't like it so I would have gone one of to ways. ether I would have painted the scarf, cloth and knee pads the same color. by this I mean a third color that goes with orange, this would two things, one make the knee pads fit with the model as a hole and two the scarf would draw the person's eye to that spot and the face which is usually the focus of the model. Like the one undead girl that has red feet as soon as I look at it I look at the feet because the are brightest part on the model. options two green stuff shave the knee pads down and green stuff them. this is what I would have done but they still look great.

I did consider using a different color for those, but I would have had to compromise and paint something else the grey/orange I used on his shirt underneath as well as belt on hat, etc...

I can live without the main focus being on certain parts of the model, as these models are only painted to actually look good on a table. I wouldn't put them in a glass case to show off.

I do try to avoid heavy sculpting on models. I am really terrible with green stuff. Haha. I might consider similar conversions, should I have a model that has a problem like Seamus' kneepads.

So! I finally finished my Sorrows for lovely Pandora. Here they are!

post-10280-13911923099584_thumb.jpg

post-10280-13911923100609_thumb.jpg

post-10280-13911923101745_thumb.jpg

I mostly dry brushed them and then added some highlights with a brush later. As well as details in their faces. Simple and quick work. I am pretty pleased with them, though I might consider repainting them sometime later without dry brushing them and instead painting them normally. It really depends on how much I like them with the rest of my crew after they are finished.

post-10280-13911923102919_thumb.jpg

Here's the mini troop together.

A side project of mine, which kind of took a back seat to my Malifaux figures. I wont really be posting much of non Malifaux stuff here but I thought I would share and see what the community thinks. This is a Dark Eldar Kabalite Warrior from my little 40k Army I am making.

post-10280-13911923103672_thumb.jpg

Very nice work! Great color scheme for a Dark Eldar force, it will definetly stand out.

Thank you! The Dark Eldar are somewhat boring to paint though. It gets tiresome to paint the same model, over and over again. Partially reason why I am focused on Malifaux at the moment. :)

Here's my second pooch for Seamus' band. I really like the exposed ribs. Was a lot of fun to paint!

post-10280-13911923104833_thumb.jpg

post-10280-13911923105867_thumb.jpg

All your models look really good. I for one think it's ok that the Canine Remains aren't perfectly lined up color-scheme-wise. Someday you will probably buy a different resser master and ultimately use your Remains with them as well, so now they will not look extra out of place.

All your models look really good. I for one think it's ok that the Canine Remains aren't perfectly lined up color-scheme-wise. Someday you will probably buy a different resser master and ultimately use your Remains with them as well, so now they will not look extra out of place.

Thank you!

I actually have a McMourning crew planned, though their color scheme will be in the same colors as my Seamus one. Haha. I can live with the dogs being of a different color. The clothing, after all, is the 'victim' to my color scheme. Since animals don't wear it, I can live with it. Haha.

Also beneficial should I ever decide to use them in my Hamelin crew. Seeing as they could pose potential speed boosts to take in goals. Hamelin does make them significant after all. So one pooch alone could take in a goal, being speedy and all.

I haven't really been able to paint much the past couple of days. So I figured I would post another sneak on one of my Dead Doxies. Still have to do the shading and highlights. I should be able to finish this model sometime today after work. Might get some progress on DD #2. :)

Also side note: I despise yellow. Haha. I only have two yellow tones. Both of the old Citadel line (Sunburst and Golden Yellow) and they coat extremely poorly. Though I have yet to highlight the yellows in this model. I will figure out a way to use as little yellow as possible. Haha.

post-10280-13911923115571_thumb.jpg

post-10280-13911923116674_thumb.jpg

As usual, some really nice work. I think the second canine remains is fantastic and you certainly managed to get the remains part very effectively.

Can't help on the yellow though. I have tried with an Iayanden darksun basecoat in the past but it still didn't seem to help too much.

Thank you!

Yeah this model had more to offer in that extent as the other model did. The other one only has wounds and loose skin here and there.

I will have to figure something out. Might just go and pick up a new yellow later. Citadel released new paints of which a lot of them are 'base' or 'foundation' paints. Basically like primer sprays just in different colors. There is a nice yellow tone there. Maybe I will get it and try it out.

The best yellow I've found for basecoating was the Tausept Ochre from GW. (not sure what the name is right now) It's not as pale as the Iyanden Darksun, but it coats pretty well. Overall, though, I just tend to avoid yellow as much as possible...whenever I use it, I wash it over quickly to hide the poor coating! I love your dogs and the doxy, by the by!

The best yellow I've found for basecoating was the Tausept Ochre from GW. (not sure what the name is right now) It's not as pale as the Iyanden Darksun, but it coats pretty well. Overall, though, I just tend to avoid yellow as much as possible...whenever I use it, I wash it over quickly to hide the poor coating! I love your dogs and the doxy, by the by!

I will have to see what I can pick up. I will look for the newest color that is similar to the one you recommend. Though, if it is the color I am thinking of it is more a brownish yellow and not a pure yellow as such. Still might be a nice color to have though. Haha.

Here's a model update. I finished my first Dead Doxy today. One more down and then its off to do the Necrotic Machine...

Here are some pics:

post-10280-13911923120183_thumb.jpg

post-10280-13911923121159_thumb.jpg

Need a little help on Doxy #2. Here are some images:

post-10280-13911923122153_thumb.jpg

post-10280-13911923122993_thumb.jpg

All of Seamus' girls have some bright color with the general theme of orange and grey. So which color should I use on this gal? Basically her umbrella, her shoes, her gloves and the occasional small thing here and there would be painted in this color.

At the moment I am thinking of either a dark green or a teal color. But what do you guys think?