30ss Tourney - May 12 - Falls Church, VA (NoVA)

Lucidicide

King of NoVA – 30ss Malifaux Tournament

Falls Church, VA (NoVA)

King of NoVA Tournament

The King of NoVA tournament is intended to promote friendly competitive play in the Northern Virginia area. In addition to individual scores, players will also be able to align themselves with their local game store (LGS). At the end of the tournament, there will be prizes for the top player and the top store.

TO: Aaron (Lucidicide)

Victory Comics

http://www.victorycomics.com/

586 South Washington Street

Falls Church, VA 22046

Ph: 703-241-9393

Registration fee: $5

Tournament Details

· Time: 11am Saturday, May 12, 2012

· Rounds: 3 or 4 rounds, 100 minutes (10 minute set up at beginning, last turn begins 10 minutes before time, pack up).

o Number of rounds to be determined by number of players: 8 players or less = 3 rounds. 9 players or more = 4 rounds.

· Deployment: All Standard Deployment.

· Random Expanded Strategy Tournament: The players flip for their Strategies from the Expanded Strategies Chart on p. 69 of the Rules Manual. If both players flip the same Expanded Strategy, they use the Shared version of that Strategy.

· Single Faction: At the start of the Tournament, the player will sign up with a specific faction and follows the Hiring restrictions for that faction as normal in each round.

o Rules modification: After flipping for your Strategy but before hiring your crew, you must announce what Master you intend to use.

· Schemes: Players have the option of choosing up to two schemes from the General, Faction, and Master schemes. Schemes will be unique throughout the tournament.

Format

Domination – Each game will be tracked with the scoring below. Each player will need to note their score on the score sheet at the end of each round.

· Tournament Points (TP) – 3 for a win, 1 for a draw, 0 for a loss.

· Victory Point Differential (DIFF) – The difference between the VPs for each player at the end of the game.

· Victory Points (VP) – How many VPs were scored during the game.

Pairings – The first round will be random pairings. After that, the players will be matched up based on score.

Final Results – The tournament rankings will be determined by total TP first. Any ties will go to best DIFF. Further ties will go to highest VP. Any futher tie will result in a tie for the tournament.

Additional Scoring (Best LGS) – Any matches between two players with different declared local game stores will receive a scoring for their store. This scoring will not impact individual results in any way. Each VP earned is considered a point for their store. At the end of the tournament, the total VP earned in store matches will be divided by the number of store games played by people in that store. The store with the highest is the winner. Only matches between players from different stores count toward this score, and only stores in Virginia are eligible.

Prizes

· Individual Rankings

o First Place – 50% of total registration money in store credit at Victory Comics + a trophy

o Second Place – 30% of total registration money in store credit at Victory Comics

o Third Place – 20% of total registration money in store credit at Victory Comics

· Store Rankings

o First Place – A trophy for the winning store

Additional Details

· Players are responsible for bringing all materials they need, including stat cards, a Fate Deck, measuring tape, etc. The TO will bring all tournament materials needed.

· Players may only proxy models that are not yet released.

· All models are required to be painted.

· There are no encounter location special features. Terrain will be set up prior to the tournament, and tables assigned randomly to the players.

· We will be following the Gaining Grounds rules for byes, forfeits, and/or conceded games.

· The TO’s rulings are final in rules disputes. Settle any disputes with a card flip if you can. If the TO is called over, you must abide the ruling presented.

· Be a good sportsman and don’t delay the game. The TO will provide a warning in these cases. If it happens again, you will be forced to concede the match.

Schedule

11:00-11:30 – Registration and pairings (you must arrive by 11:10 to register)

11:30-1:10 – Round 1 (including set up and packing up)

1:10-1:40 – Lunch (there are many places to eat nearby, TO is willing to order pizza)

1:40-3:20 – Round 2

3:20-5:00 – Round 3

5:00-6:40 – Round 4 (if required)

Final Note: TO really doesn’t like tardiness so don’t be late.

RSVPs

As of 4/29/12 at 2:25am

Local

Yes

Nayte

Alex

Dan

Brian

M. Matt

Bill

Jose

Matt

Maybe

Mike

Non-Local

Guy in Suit

notmikehill

marshimartian (+3)

Edited by Lucidicide
Slight edit to the Additional Scoring (Best LGS) + addition of two trophy prizes. Added in rules FAQ.

Hey everyone! Updates for you all:

I made some slight edits to best LGS scoring to make it more equitable in case more than two stores participate, and I also changed this so that only a store in VA can win it (sorry, but I spent money on the trophy for it and would prefer it remain local). That said, if the Best in Virginia cup is a hit, maybe we can expand for the whole east!

Last note: It looks like we'll have around 4 people from PA coming down and possibly some guys from NY. This might turn into a huge battle, so bring your A games!

Edited by Lucidicide
Removed the trophies 'cause I added them to a later post.

So is the ace of spades so prominently displayed on the first place trophy a reminder that they can be victorious, even when delt a poor hand? A passive agressive trophy... I expect nothing less of you sir.

Better believe it. I beat you last night with 6 aces in my hand! Six! How's that fair?

Better believe it. I beat you last night with 6 aces in my hand! Six! How's that fair?

BOOOOM! Am I doing it right? Nope, didn't think so... :(

I'm still bitter you didn't hear my terror tot joke. How can someone with so many witty comments ignore a great corny one liner...

I glare menacingly your way, sir.

BOOOOM! Am I doing it right? Nope, didn't think so... :(

I'm still bitter you didn't hear my terror tot joke. How can someone with so many witty comments ignore a great corny one liner...

I glare menacingly your way, sir.

I heard the joke about the small cup of soup... oh wait, that wasn't you... next time you're speaking I'll have to adjust my antennae to hear you better.

I'm happy to announce that the trophies have arrived! Thanks to Nix for helping me work through my first trophy order.

In addition to this, exciting news! Marshimartian (of PA Henchmen fame) is going to attempt to finish up a plaque for the tournament that can be given to the best store overall (unlike the Best in VA cup), so there are multiple opportunities to win. Thanks marshimartian!

And lastly, thanks to dgraz for painting an Executioner for me that is used for size comparison + intimidation.

I'm stoked (in that good ol' fashioned Brass Arachnid way).

Look forward to seeing everyone there, and may the best player + best store(s) win!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone. The tournament is coming up quick! A few additional announcements:

I borrowed Nix/Nilus' rules FAQ from Adepticon and made a couple of tweaks to it (for those that knew it, I'll put them at the bottom of this post). Thanks Nix and Nilus!

At this point, it appears we might have quite a sizeable turnout. In order to ensure that we have enough terrain for everyone coming, I'm going to be asking people to RSVP. You don't have to RSVP to show up. I'm just trying to get as good of an idea as possible as to how many players we'll actually have. I'll list the RSVPs in the first post via edits. Thanks!

Changes to Adepitcon's tournament FAQ:

1. I made all doors "open" by default and unable to be shut.
  2. I added in my own special 'errata' to From the Shadows to try to make it more clear.
  3. I changed the section on Poison and similar effects to indicate that any kills from those 'effects' are not credited to the model that originally generated them.

Are the width of doors as they are, or do you guys let larger models go through? I once set a guy off by telling him that his coryphee duet couldn't fit through an inch-wide door - so it's best just to have a blanket rule.

I don't think I actually have any "wide" doors, so on the clarification it's all about the 30mm bases.

I'm hoping to pre-build some tables to see what sort of questions might come up and address them on a notecard. Figure that could help.