Since everyone else is doing it. Playing the Guild, or Fighting as the law

Iron Skies

Another late post. Have posted thoughts on book 4 stuff. Pleanty of games in with Lucius and a very informative game against ARamos the other night played by Mythicfox. So fellow Guild players for a 35 stone Slaughter game I give you.

The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

Perdita Ortega.

Lucius.

Sue.

Brutal Effigy.

Nino Ortega. (Can be switched out for a Guardian on Sue/Brutal Effigy if needed)

Worked surprisingly well though I'll let the internet take the list apart

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another late post. Have posted thoughts on book 4 stuff.

Hey Iron Skies, did you noticed that McCabe gets automatically +1 Df for each enemy engaged with him after the first? Since he already starts with defense 5, that is average, and can choose armor+2 as a relic, I don't think defense is really his weakness.. :)

This is probably going to turn into a full thoughts review on Lucas. Going to go more in depth here.

Strengths - Fast. Very fast if mounted especially. And if he can remain mounted he has 13 wounds!. Comes with bearskin armour and a ranged expert action when mounted melee when dismounted. With a walk of 8 when mounted he has a potential threat range of 24". Customisable against most situations and strategies. Gives out lots of slow and paralyze.

Weaknesses - Low DF for a master that want's to get close and in there. Looks very easy to get separated from the rest of his crew. Not many tricks so will need to plan out each turn.

Fast does not really do Lucas justice. Even dismounted he has the potential to go 25" (Though sacrifices himself afterwards).

He can form a mini alpha strike with dogs and Luna as well as a single Black Sheep model and if taken can even reactivate another black sheep (Though not himself)

At first glance he revolves around making models slow then paralyzing them with his stunner spell. I feel this is a trap and is only a small part of his tricks. Used to hold a key model in place etc. With his speed it's easy to get the extra DF though do not rely on this, use him to pick off isolated models and support his crew by keeping your opponent slow and limited on actions.

Simple theory tricks :

If you have a high :tomes in your hand companioning Luna using her to cast the -2DF and WP spell will help to slow targets with Lucas' net gun

Reactivate a Wastrel after his reload twice trigger (think we all figured this out)

Dismounted

Keeps much of the abilities he had before though loses the net gun and gains Scout. Also picks up a :melee3 weapon. Also manages to pull some clockwork traps out from somewhere.

Keeps the same spells and abilities to slow and paralyze but in melee more than at range (Again the Luna howl combo will be good with this form)

On killing an enemy model Lucas gets to loot their body for a possible bonus. And if the book is to be believed the flip can be cheated!

He can either gain a soulstone, get terrifying, soft cover agains ranged attacks, find another clockwork trap or gain stubborn. Or he can inflict posion 2 on himself.

Lots of rambling but hopefully food for thought. Have fun Guildies

• 1 month later...

Long time without a post on this. Though not really had much to write about. Attended York's tournament recently with amazingly disasterous results (Apart from getting best sports somehow) Paintings progressing slowly thanks to waiting for base inserts to come back in stock in the UK.

Been trying not to proxy any more games with any book 4 stuff so been light there.

Random thought, we always hear tactics against other factions though what do people find when playing against other Guild players?

I'm really having some trouble against Resurrectionists, particularly Kirai and McMourning, both with their avatars. In preparation for a local tournament (35 SS) I've been grinding games against the player, who's excellent, but it's frustrating to lose constantly. Any advice for dealing with either of these masters would be a tremendous help. Hopefully advice that just doesn't consist of taking Lady J and hoping to carve my way through... a bit more in-depth Guild vs. McMourning/Kirai advice is preferable.

Hopefully advice that just doesn't consist of taking Lady J and hoping to carve my way through... a bit more in-depth Guild vs. McMourning/Kirai advice is preferable.

Well, you could do that. Lady J is pretty good against Dougie thanks to Riposte and the damage she can do...since Doug likes to kill things. Judge is pretty good at hurting undead also. Honestly, I think Doug is the tougher one for Guild. I like Sonnia for him...just for her anti-construct tricks.

Against Kirai, again my choice is Sonnia...the shear amount of magic damage that can be kicked out makes short work of most spirits. With Stalkers and a Handler she is about as anti-Kirai as they come....adding an Exorcist is pretty mean too.

I think the main thing with both of them is to know what they can do. They're deceptively fast....Dougie gets free movement with Scalpel slinging and can gain Fast....Kirai can summon brutal killers far from herself, and swap them around.

With Doug, you have to hit him hard and not let him get away. If you 'almost' kill him and he activates, he will just heal himself....while killing you. With Kirai, if you don't get rid of the Seishin, you're wasting time targeting her.

Interesting thread! I'm seriously looking forward to the release of McCabe and his Guild compatriots from Book 4 - it looks like they'll work very nicely with my existing Guardsmen and Lucius.

Of the Book 4 models, the one I thought you most skipped over was the Pathfinder - just for starters, if he gets to deploy both his traps, he's effectively a 2 SS model. Being unable to cap objectives until turn 3 is a bit of a pain, but you can spend your time loading them down with traps instead. If you were considering taking at least 6 SS worth of traps in a list, I can't see any reason why you wouldn't take a Pathfinder instead.

My regular opponent came to similar conclusions as yourself regarding Avatar Perdita - in most cases, there's just no reason to go avatar, because the net effect is that she's much easier to kill and doesn't get significantly better at anything. It's a shame, because it's a seriously cool model.

Of the Book 4 models, the one I thought you most skipped over was the Pathfinder - just for starters, if he gets to deploy both his traps, he's effectively a 2 SS model. Being unable to cap objectives until turn 3 is a bit of a pain, but you can spend your time loading them down with traps instead. If you were considering taking at least 6 SS worth of traps in a list, I can't see any reason why you wouldn't take a Pathfinder instead.

Not actually played any games with the Pathfinder yet, the traps do look fun. IE funnelling models through terrain or into firezones or risk being paralysed.

Going back to the pathfinder I think he himself will be amazing with Lucius around to order him about and give him extra shots otherwise he'll just be a one shot wonder before being ganked

While Lucius can order him around, he can't really give the Pathfinder more shots - the musket can only be fired once per turn - bit of a pain if your opponent has obey...

He looks good to me though - not worth 6 ss without the traps, but certainly worth more than 2ss, so still a good deal. Traps don't care about interacting anyway, as they are insignificant, so you can use it to deploy traps around objectives, primed and ready which is a great defence against those lists that can start interacting turn 1!

I've played the Pathfinder a few times. He is hit or miss. If you have a decent spot to hide him in he can be a great denial piece....especially since the traps deploy Primed with him. But if there isn't a decent spot then he can spend most of the game sitting around...sometimes there just isn't a spot more than 12" from an enemy...Pointman only makes it so he can ignore objectives.

The traps are still good though....since they have a good threat range.

Guardians are usually a good thing to have when you're a Guild player. They're tough, can give armor to other people, and allow you some control of where damage goes. Plus, they have some nice (0) actions to either heal itself, or dispel magic. And on top of that, swinging with the shield (although w/ a low Cb), will always get you at least 1 point of damage, even if you miss. There have been a couple of times when my Guardian has brought down some high Df masters with it's shield!

If you're trying to keep Lady J alive your best bet is to keep her in cover, because she dies fast to ranged fire. Having some decent masks in your hand with some soulstones can make your opponents pay for attacks. I've Riposted my way out of some sticky situations that way.

I've found that the Executioner is kind of overrated...he's a fluffy marshmallow with claws. He draws a lot of attention. His low Df and lack of Df abilities means he goes down fast. I've had some luck coupling him with a Guardian, but I prefer the Judge or Nino to the Executioner.

Interesting thread! I'm seriously looking forward to the release of McCabe and his Guild compatriots from Book 4 - it looks like they'll work very nicely with my existing Guardsmen and Lucius.

I think McCabe and Lucius are going to be a good combo. You can move Lucius 15 ( casting issue command on himself) and then cast reinforcements on McCabe. McCabe has now moved 19" before he has even started, great for treasure hunter and other movement strats.

McCabe spell which lowers defence and WP is also going to be great. Austringers strike at CB9 with Lucius, which against a enemy that has been hit by braying of hounds is going to mostly likely hit. The WP debuff could also help the Lawyer and I think McCabe has a spell that can speed up some models.

Very much looking forward to McCabe Lucius and a ton of hounds.

That is why in my trapper thread I suggested to take watchers with them. That way your opponent won't be able to use from the shadows and you can deploy all your from the shadows stuff unimpeded from enemy models in regards to distance away from enemy models.

Damn, that's sneaky. Nice!