Hello, potential new gamer here! Fairfax VA

Mysterioso

Hi everyone

I didn't know where else to put this thread. I love wargaming, but it's been hard for me to find the time and money and just set down and play something. 40k is well, 40k. I would bankrupt myself. Warmahordes is also kind of expensive. I like that Malifaux has box sets that are a lot cheaper than most other stuff. I have some questions for anyone to answer, would be most appreciated.

Anyone in the NOVA area? Chantilly game parlor is pretty close by. Huzzah Hobbies in Ashburn is pretty far.

General gist of gameplay? I'm guessing smaller skirmishes, which is just fine.

General size of games? Like say a box set and 2 or 3 other models?

Gameplay balance? Please be honest. I hated how in 40k the writers constantly try to one up each other with more and more ridiculous codices.

Warmahordes is generally better about balance, but there are still problems here and there. Arguments about which caster or jack/beast is broken, if focus or fury is better, that kind of stuff. For example, I hated how some models had really awesome sculpts but crap rules, and the ugly models had good rules that made them auto include. And sometimes, some models would synergize well with each other but thematically had nothing to do with each other. I hope I can run a Malifaux army that's fluffy without feeling that I'm gimping myself.

General playstyles? I like Hoffman, Rasputina, Colette, Collodi, heck I like almost everything except maybe the undead faction.

Thanks for your attention and answers

Welcome, mate, I'm new myself and asked similar questions. I had to PM people to get honest answers, but I'll share what I've got here. Undoubtedly, several peeps will disagree, but that's what a forum is for:

(I think your thread would do better in the introductions section though.)

Although the factions are balanced against each other overall -- which can be more expensive in the long run -- the general consensus for best to worst factions is: Neverborn, Resurrectionists/Outcasts, Arcanists, Guild -- although when it comes to number of top masters, those rankings switch. Neverborn is still top though -- glass cannons reign supreme in war games. That said, I highly recommend you read this thread: http://www.wyrd-games.net/showthread.php?29143-Is-broken-now-broken

Seems like you listed two powerful masters from Arcanists -- why not start there? Colette is considered top tier, but advanced. Same for Rasputina. I've heard Ramos is a good place to start.

If you haven't checked out http://pullmyfinger.wikispaces.com/ you should. It'll answer a lot of the questions you have.

Yea PullMyFinger is a great resource worth checking out

You're going to be looking at 6-12 models in the average crew, and Wyrd don't have any intention of growing it into a full scale battle game like WM/H has done.

The thread SardonicArtery mentions is a recent discussion here on the forums regarding balance. I think the gist of the discussion was "No game is perfectly balanced, and Malifaux is no worse than other games out there".

Welcome to Malifaux!

Mike

On Thursdays, Victory Comics in Falls Church has a good turn out. We've had a bunch of new guys recently start playing, the community has grown pretty fast!

At Victory, we play mostly 35 point games. However, 25 points does get played.

If you want to try out some crews and have some free time this week, we can meet up at Victory and you can try some out. I have all of the Guild and Resurrectionists, even though you don't like the Ressurs.

Send me a PM and we can set something up if you'd be interested.

Hey. My name is Aaron, and I run Thursday night Malifaux at Victory Comics, as Nayte mentioned above. I'm happy to help run people through the game, etc.

Huzzah Hobbies has another big group of players, and they have a henchman there, Nix. You could PM him or me or Nayte to get some information.

I own almost everything in the game and loan it out for people to try, so you're welcome to stop by and borrow some stuff before launching in.

Lucidicide and Nayte beat me to the Victory Comic recommendation. Victory may be closer to you in Fairfax (depending on wherein Fairfax you are) than Huzzah. GPC had a small group of players but most have migrated to Huzzah for Tuesday nights.

With that said, I will add that there is also a forum (http://ordonova.coda.net) that the majority of the Huzzah group uses. This covers all game systems. We are trying to entice those Victory guys on there as well, but they all love private elite email :).

Please feel free to PM any of us, and as Lucidicide mentions, try out Victory on Thursdays, they have a great group!