USA Roadtrips?

magicpockets

I just want to bounce an idea here. Quite a few people were up for paying a crazy sum of money for Gencon - if we could get a week of gaming in the USA (say a tourny on two consecutive weekends with games in the middle) would people be up for it?

Don't think too much about budget (but do bear in mind you need flights and a week of living) or time off work etc, just a yes or no to the idea is all I'm looking for at the minute.

(And yes Ian, this was your idea *wink*)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you were to put this together, I would recommend setting things up on the East Coast. You could start in the Atlanta area and try to convince Nathan to allow a visit to Wyrd HQ. Follow that up with games with the Atlanta Malifaux scene. 12 hour drive and your in the DC area. Sight Seeing in the Nations Capitol and I would be happy to set up an event in the local area. Jump back on the road for 5 hours and you in the NYC area. Times Square, downtown NYC, and I can probably convince the Warmongers to set-up an event. Then its to JFK and flights back to the UK.

Just some thoughts.

If you were to put this together, I would recommend setting things up on the East Coast.

Yeah but the only problem with that is then they would have to deal with the people on the East Coast. I am kidding of course and for the best chance to see the most set of different gamers in a short amount of time, the east coast is your best bet.

The other option would be to consider a Detroit, Indy, Chicago triangle. If you still wanted to include Gencon in with the package. But this might just me being selfish and wanting you guys to come my way. If you held off a little over a year you could do that loop and end in Chicago in time for Adepticon. Its not as big as Gencon but its still 1500 mini gamers all coming together to play.

Just out of curiosity, what was so out of whack price wise for the Gencon trip you guys were planning?

The Chicago area is certainly better for getting a bunch of games in, and Chicago is a great visit (one of my 2 favorite cities in the country). If planning around Gencon (August) or Adepticon (April) I would throw my support completely behind that as the best chocie for trip.

The east cost will give you several different Meta's for playing Malifaux, and be more Road Trip. It would also give a wider exposure to different US sights to see (Atlanta, NYC, and DC are all very different).

Gotta agree with Nix and Nilus, even though I'm on the West Coast and would love to see more visitors! I travel to Chicago frequently and it's pretty easy for me to find games there.

Nix, Nilus- we gotta line up our travel schedules, lol. Chicago is the one town on my frequent flier list that never gets boring for me.

That said- if you want a more "Hollywood" experience (better weather, hot chicks- easier to impress the local femmes with your accents!) , the guys at SoCal Malifaux would be willing and able to get you some regular games in too.

Just a suggestion: Make sure you Google map the drive times between the areas you are thinking about. In my experience Europeans tend to underestimate how long it takes to drive between regions in the States. I notice Nix mentioned some good estimates in his post. But I just wanted to bring your attention to it so you aren't surprised.

With enough advance notice I can drive down from Nashville to get my ritual beating in Atlanta *wink*

Speaking of which, hit up Nashville for a day if you have time and any interest in music (country or otherwise). If you like non-mainstream pop or rock, the Exit/In is worth a visit:

http://www.exitin.com

Of course, there are tons of things for country fans to see.

Lastly, if you do come to the Southeast, make sure you get some barbecue.

Edited by Dustcrusher
URL fix

I'm intending to do the driving as I hate being a passenger, so that's not a problem. You can all buy me a beer before we set off on each leg to say thanks...

Perhaps they should buy you the beer after you arrive at each place. Drinking and driving don't mix. You may spill the beer. :)

I think you got the humour, but obviously I'd never drink and drive. I so hope we can do this, it would be awesome to play some of you guys for real rather than just smack talking about how lame you are (because then we can prove it too *wink*)

And if we can get to Wyrd HQ it would be brilliant to play guys like Nathan and Sketch, I just hope they don't hate me (and others) to the point where they're not interested :(