Breaking Gremlins

Cornelious1424

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not going to discuss it particularly because it's been discussed before in various parts, Spiku's threads, and others.

The fact that Gremlins are considerably broken at 2 points is nothing new, the fact that GremlinOrtegas are epic is nothing new, the wonder really is that no one has picked them up competitively for any significant amount of time and they seem to be flying under the radar.

Mark my words; in a few months time, people are going to be crying for Gremlin cuddles left right and centre.

Cornelius paid his dues....playing Gremlins from the start. Pretty much playing every game in hopes of achieving a draw. Once Ophelia came out....wow. Crush!! I play Perdita a lot and I used to beat him so easily that I felt bad. Using Ophelia is the extreme other end of the spectrum...he hardly breaks a sweat putting Perdita in the dirt.

Kin seriously over compensate for the original Gremlin weakness.

The fact that Gremlins are considerably broken at 2 points is nothing new, the fact that GremlinOrtegas are epic is nothing new, the wonder really is that no one has picked them up competitively for any significant amount of time and they seem to be flying under the radar.

Mark my words; in a few months time, people are going to be crying for Gremlin cuddles left right and centre.

For the record, several of us have already been playing Gremlins competitively for years (and have been arguing that they aren't bottom tier for at least as long). Welcome to the club.

Don't get him started on USA vs UK play-skill...........

Ah but isn't that always a fun discussion?

No doubt :) Feel free to share your Gremlin wisdom with us newbies!

I have (as well as several others) in several threads on this forum (over the years) and on the PullMyFinger Wiki.

Matter of fact it is difficult to find a Gremlin thread that I dont have a comment or two in.

I have (as well as several others) in several threads on this forum (over the years) and on the PullMyFinger Wiki.

Matter of fact it is difficult to find a Gremlin thread that I dont have a comment or two in.

And yet it seems people don't generally find Gremlins that offensive and/or competitive, so I guess people must be missing something, maybe that you've pointed out to them previously?

Ah well, maybe the newbies can learn some new ways to play them!

And yet it seems people don't generally find Gremlins that offensive and/or competitive, so I guess people must be missing something, maybe that you've pointed out to them previously?

Most people dismiss them (mainly Some'r) because they aren't as straight forward as a lot of the other available crews and they dont want to put in the time to learn (Rasputina without Snow Storm has a fairly similar problem). Playing gremlins (mainly Some'r) competitively is a much more cerebral endevour than they appear and much more involved then crews like the Dreamer, Collodi, etc (Ophelia and the Kin tends to be a much more forgiving crew and easier play style).

Edited by Omenbringer

A lot of it comes from the fact that most of the options in Gremlins are far easier to see on the field than to read; or even when they are easy to read, need the person reading them to fully consider the context and options available to them. Many people just reading things have a great deal of trouble translating this to game play, which leads to some rather amusing, or spurious, comments from people who look at a model in isolation, or "rank" things before seeing them in combinations.

In fact to add to that is the way we tend to approach these things. I saw a rules question a while back that was about ambiguity, on an aspect of a rule that was ambiguous, but the way he worded it meant he and the people responding were discussing two entirely different things. There were two factors of Som'er lists that I was unsure of that I was unable to get clarified due to the structuring of the language alone! I sought some advice prior, and didn't manage to get an answer. Luckily I was able to get two games in and that taught me all I needed to know through trial and success.

Perhaps it is simply that people get told something is bad, and accept it, without really looking at it. Or perhaps it is the bad match ups being the internet favourites ;3

No doubt :) Feel free to share your Gremlin wisdom with us newbies!

I think the problem is that, straight out of book 1, gremlins were lackluster. And that's how people made their initial judgement. They had their moment in the sun when they had infinite card draw for about a week, but once that was nerfed the notion of playing them competitively was unlikely. Open your book 1 and see what you can do with that crew. Also, be sure to use the old strategies and schemes. Mosquitoes are awesome, but it wasn't enough to carry the list.

Once book 2 came out, it pretty well fixed them, both the models which gave them what they needed and the rebalancing of strategies/schemes. But people's minds were made up. And book 2 also introduced masters like Kirai, Hamelin, and the Dreamer which made the shiny new gremlins seem less shiny, simply by comparison. But I'm fine with that. I know they're good.

I think another problem is, they have a good number of red herring builds. There's really only one or two ways to play them at a competitive level, and I think pigs are the big distraction. Pig builds are cool and fun and I enjoy playing them, but I wouldn't bring a warpig to a tournament. Of course, I also think Malifaux is by far best played as a friendly game, so that's not a huge deal.

Edited by Justin