MALIFAUX COMES TO VULCON - Phoenix Convention Center, February 25/26

Dire Hoarcat Snuggler

MALIFAUX events at VULCON ... check back to this post for all updates!!!

+++++

VulCon is... http://www.advancedgrafixonline.com/vulconsite/index.html

Malifaux will represent on Saturday the 25th with (times TBA) multiple opportunities to play open games, participate in demos, and get tips on painting minis!

On Sunday the 26th... STEAMPUNK DAY!!!... we roll out with a Gaining Ground tournament from 1pm to 5pm.

- Sign-up begins at 12:30 and closes at 1:00 when we give out pairings.

- Tournament supports up to 28 players!!!

- Tourney packets will be provided

- Entry/prizes (TBA)

- 25 Soulstone Fixed Crew

- Scoring format? (TBA)

- Fixed shared strategies by round

- Unique schemes

- Fixed terrain -- no special features

- 70 minute rounds

- 2 15-minute breaks

- Games end at end of turn 5, end of last action, or buzzer... whichever comes first, cards down! The show must NOT go on!

- CREWS MUST BE ON APPROPRIATE BASES ... all models must represent the character fluff-wise or equipment-wise as determined by your judge at sign-in according to your fixed crew list. Conversions/proxies are allowed within reason, at my discretion. All players must have their crew's stat cards, a fate deck, a measuring device, and any other materials needed to record wounds, game effects, etc.

That's all for now... leave comments, RSVPs, etc., and I'll update this very soon!

~J~

UPDATES FOR FORMAT:

Scoring format - Disparity

Prizes - 3 VulCon trophies for first, second, and third. Last place gets (as I'm out of wooden spoons) the Atari 2600 game E.T. Trust me, it's wooden-spoon-worthy.

Be there early - I'm writing up lists at 12:30 (or earlier!) so we'll be ready to start ON TIME!!! Breaks will be limited to 5 minutes each, so get your smokes and eats in at noon!!!

~J~

Updated summary:

Required: Crew models, rulebook(s), latest stat cards (NO PRINTOUTS), fate deck (submitted to all opponents for discretionary inspection), measuring tape, appropriate tokens/markers.

Optional: fully painted and based, awesome conversions... these will be worth +1 TP for coverage, and +1 TP for creativity. In the Accumulation format, this will add to the tie-breaking quantity.

3 rounds, 70 min ea., 2 10-min breaks

Strats are fixed, and announced at the tourney. Schemes are limited to 5 of my choosing - no Master or Crew-specific schemes. Special events are already fixed and chosen for each round... they will mess with you a bit, and are all random, so be warned!

Ask any more questions if you like!

~J~

Indeed, Jess did walk away with quite the haul. And part of it she can't even throw out until she finishes something other than last in a future tourney! TRADITION!!!

It was also hella neat to have included someone from as far as New Mexico who had no idea there was a Mali' event going on by shoving gremlins into his hands... that's officially the most gremlins I've seen at any tourney!

Glad so many people from IO could make it, and we'll do this cultural exchange again some time! Manny was a great co-judge, and we made some very democratic and fun decisions that made the tourney all the more enjoyable to everyone.

Gratz to Andrew, Josh, Britt, and everyone!

~J~

---------- Post added at 12:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 PM ----------

Oh, and demos went great, too! I had a small crowd of people already lining up at 9 in the morning waiting for me to finish setting up!!! They got a few quick lessons in and two of them instantly wanted to play a small game, while others looked on as (constructive) backseat drivers. Manny was able to cover the remaining turns they played as I finished set-up and they had a great time.

Pics of the tourney were featured by at least two online geek news sites, and we got a great photo spread taken by the Phoenix Comicon folks, one of whom I've talked into starting playing with her bf. :)

~J~

---------- Post added at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

Oh and can we say BIGGEST SKIRMISH GAME AT VULCON?! Bigger even than the 40k and Fantasy tourneys COMBINED. Only thing that beat us in numbers was Flames of War, but that's only because they refrain from having frequent events. :/

~J~

---------- Post added at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 PM ----------

^ Let's not even mention Warmahordes... complete disaster :[