New to Malifaux - would like some advice.

graeme27uk

Hello,

I'm completely new to Malifaux, still tackling the rulebook after once brief read through. I'm taken by two main masters, Nicodem and Leveticus. I like the idea of having a nice undying horde of shambling monsters, and both seem to be able to access that. Leveticus sounds fun, though from the bits I've read he seems hard to play effectively.

They also seem to overlap in terms of models they can hire so that I can use models for different Masters, giving me more options.

Would either of those Masters make a good first time game in order to get used to the rules and if so what would you recommend to get with them?

Welcome, graeme :)

In my opinion, Nicodem's a pretty good choice for starting Malifaux. He has farily simple mechanics but you still get to learn new ways to play him every time you field him. My favourite point about him is that he teaches how to use blast counters, which are dang useful. Unfortunately he may end up costing a lot because of all the zombies he fields: lot of models to buy, lot of cash to spend.

Levi, on the other hand, is rather hard to start with. He has a huge models selection and you'll want to have many of them to optimise your choices depending on strategies, schemes, opposing masters, etc... And that's an even bigger financial investment. Plus, his playstyle is so radically different to other masters that I think it's better to leave him for later if you're looking to learn how to play.

The official Malifaux wiki could give you more details if you want to take a look.

Nico is definitely more straight forward than Leve. Both will require something of an investment beyond their box set, Nico especially. Lots of summoning potential, and he needs his Mindless Zombies (plus Canine Remains are good).

You'll often hear Nicodem referred to as a "bottom tier" master, but don't let that sway you. If you dig his fluff and the look, go for it! He was the second Master I picked up after McMourning and I've never regretted it. Careful not to get too hung up summoning. He's all about the Rigor and the Bolster! Decay can also be extremely useful when things get clumpy. Plus, he needs to move, of course. Even with Mortimer dragging him along with Fresh Meat, you'll still need to shuffle 3" on occasion. :)

Also look at Rafkin as a potential MZ factory and the Grave Spirit for the Armor boost, to keep Nico safe.

• 5 months later...

Currently I'm running Nicodem and LOVE him!!! I love the models and the play style. I just love him. I run Nico with 2 vultures (for corpse token retrieval and spell range increases) a bunch of punk zombies (with Nicos bolster) and 2 canine remains. I freakin love everything about nico and he's pretty straight forward but has tricks up his sleeve

My best suggestion is to get in contact with a Henchman in your area (hopefully you are near a Friendly Local Game Store, commonly referred to as "FLGS") where you can meet up and they can let you try out different crews.

I just want to restate what Hatchethead said in that Leveticus is a tad complex as a starting master... he plays radically different (not being able to re-fill your hand every turn like normal, not having a master on the board most of the time for objectives that require a presence until the closing phase, etc.)

But if you really like him, don't let that stop you, he is pretty awesome! If I played outcast he would be the master I'd pick ;) It may take you a few games to get the feel for his Master Mechanic™ but you'll eventually figure it out.

IMHO, the most important thing is "do I think these guys are cool?" And the answer to both Nicodemus and Levi is: very much!

Edited by marful