Cut and Thrust (Bristol) March 31st-1st

Angor

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you kidding me?

There's a lot of people who've planned weekends around this, despite you not giving us a rules pack until now.

And now you give us this abomination.

People dont want to play campaign rules and comedy games at tournaments. People want to play tournaments where they play Malifaux against eachother as it's written in the rulebook.

Whilst everyone is pulling out of your tournament and cancelling their hotels, at least you can be glad of one thing; you might have finally been the guys that made us start the ball rolling on comp in the UK.

Congrats. Hope your tourney is good.

Edited by Calmdown

Are you kidding me?

There's a lot of people who've planned weekends around this, despite you not giving us a rules pack until now.

And now you give us this abomination.

People dont want to play campaign rules, comedy games, or Malifaux with a twist. People want to play tournaments where they play Malifaux against eachother as it's written in the rulebook.

Whilst everyone is pulling out of your tournament and cancelling their hotels, at least you can be glad of one thing; you might have finally been the guys that made us start the ball rolling on comp in the UK.

Congrats. Hope your tourney is good.

Maybe this won't be my first ever Malifaux Tournament...while it all sounds fun, I just want to play games how the rules write it to be played but with a competitive edge...I don't think we are asking for much really....

It's a shame in all honesty I was really excited for this :(

Oh well back to the calender

Maybe this won't be my first ever Malifaux Tournament...while it all sounds fun, I just want to play games how the rules write it to be played but with a competitive edge...I don't think we are asking for much really....

It's a shame in all honesty I was really excited for this :(

Oh well back to the calender

Same. I won't attend something so far straying from at least the basic principles of malifaux. Originality is cool, but a mix over two days is suicide

It's a shame, was looking forward to it.

Thanks

People dont want to play campaign rules and comedy games at tournaments. People want to play tournaments where they play Malifaux against eachother as it's written in the rulebook.

While I can understand your frustration in part, I can't get behind this part for a couple of reasons:

1) The recent Masters tourney didn't play anything like "as it's written in the rulebook" and everyone had a lot of fun.

2) There's a very definite opportunity for a "different" type of tournament, in a non-competitive setting. There's been requests for something more narrative based ever since the rankings debates.

That being said, the problems with this pack are quite clear:

1) Equal weight given to sports score as gaming? Seriously? People sign up with the purpose off playing. That should (obviously) be the focus.

2) 2nd day allocated to unspecified "fun" organised by "Dan". If I don't know Dan, and you won't tell me what he has lined up, am I really going to spend money (and a whole weekend) committing to come along and risk wasting both?

3) Drastic unexpected shift of rulespack from the last one (which everyone enjoyed). People signed up expecting more of the same but now find it's not what they wanted.

Still, kudos for organising something new. You're likely to attract a whole different group of players (and have less people travelling to the event from afar), but I hope it's a success.

Mike

The issue here isn't so much the pack itself as it is the lack of signaling this was what was going to happen until this stage of proceedings.

People have made travel plans, taken time off work and booked hotel rooms to attend what they thought would be a two day tournament. These people have now found out 6 weeks before the event that this is a day of hobby gaming and a day of other activities.

I've often said there's no wrong way to play Malifaux, and a hobby weekend like this one may very well be fun, but that's not what people thought they were getting when they decided to part with their hard earned cash.

That being said I hope the event is a success and wish Angor and Cut'n'Thrust all the best with it. It's a great store run by great people and I'm looking forward to getting to a tournament there in the not too distant future.

The issue here isn't so much the pack itself as it is the lack of signaling this was what was going to happen until this stage of proceedings.

People have made travel plans, taken time off work and booked hotel rooms to attend what they thought would be a two day tournament. These people have now found out 6 weeks before the event that this is a day of hobby gaming and a day of other activities.

I've often said there's no wrong way to play Malifaux, and a hobby weekend like this one may very well be fun, but that's not what people thought they were getting when they decided to part with their hard earned cash.

That being said I hope the event is a success and wish Angor and Cut'n'Thrust all the best with it. It's a great store run by great people and I'm looking forward to getting to a tournament there in the not too distant future.

This, very much this.

I didn't save it, but the first pack was basically:Take day 2 of new pack and put is as day 1Day 2 = day of fun/potentially narrative games but no tourneyIt wasnt a terrible pack. I think it would have been fine, but for the surprise factor. I hope all this doesn't put anyone off running less-competitive events in the future!Mike

Wow looks like our local henchman has caused a bit of an Angorlanche. Geddit?!

We have had a chat about it and have had a revision of the rules pack based on the feedback from you guys on the forum! Sooo this is where we are at...

Day 1- A Gaining Grounds rankings tournament. Check the updated rulespack for details.

Day 2- A day of gaming using the Malifaux ruleset.

Obviously those wishing to attend both days are more than welcome.

The coffee will be fresh, the shelves will be well stocked, the terrain will be better than ever and we will be offering a 15% discount all weekend so make sure you pre order anything you want to avoid disappointment (this discount is not only on Malifaux but everything in store all weekend)!

Do you guys want doughnuts?

At Cut and Thrust the focus is on providing a great venue and gaming experience and to do this we listen to you guys, the community, (un)fortunately we run dozens of tournaments a year and can’t be as active as we would like to be on every community forum for every system, hence picking this up so late.

You guys being vocal is important to us as is being constructive about what we do, so let’s get a few more of these amazing events under our belts and keep improving them.

Let us keep it on topic and fun!

Hope to see you all here, Alex.

Edited by Cut and Thrust