Titans in The Breach - London - Sunday 19th February

whitewizard

Tournament pack added to original post.

We currently have 10 people signed up and have opened up 2 more places if there is still interest...

Ive juat noticed all that stuff on your other board.

Can i recommend you keep everything here as your single point of reference - multiple forums confuses everyone!

Also your rules pack does not mention which strategy chart you are flipping on.

One final time - forcing people to fix masters and not flipping strategies in advance to boot, really hurts how malifaux is played.

Edited by Calmdown

Can i recommend you keep everything here as your single point of reference - multiple forums confuses everyone!

One final time - forcing people to fix masters and not flipping strategies in advance to boot, really hurts how malifaux is played.

Not everyone at a club is also a member of the Wyrd forum (and vice versa) so fine to keep multiple threads, as long as they don't have conflicting information.

This is whitewizard's first Malifaux tournament so give him some slack. The rules pack is probably based on the one I sent him (which was for Northampton) so maybe not the best example of a 'normal' tournie. I'll check and advise as appropriate.

The link to the Titans thread has been there all along, sorry if you missed it and, being a Wargames club, it is essential that we have a thread about any major events happening at the club ("major" events relative to any normal Sunday at the club of course).

As per the event pack "Strategy Selection – Flipped, Unique, Shared Strategies.

Each round the TO flips and announces the Shared Strategy to be used by the players. The same strategy will not be played twice." If I am missing something, I will gladly add it in.

I was unaware of a dislike for fixed masters but perhaps we could discuss it in detail next Sunday? I'll be happy to have your comments/criticisms after the tourney.

I can't see how flipping on the day affects the game though. It only takes a few seconds and stops people preparing crew lists in adavance of the game. Isn't that the point to building a crew at the start of an encounter?

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to it, hope that goes for everyone else.

All the best,

Chris

Edited by whitewizard

Calmdown's point is are you selecting from the core or expanded shared strategies (core would be suggested by me for a this type of tournie).

Also we've found that fixed faction tends to work better than fixed master, but its not a problem and there's no need to change it. Mixes things up a bit, and I'm also having a trial with fixed master for my tournie the following weekend.

What Dave said about shared strategies; there are two charts.

Fixed master is not how Malifaux is meant to be played. Masters vary by strategy just as much as crews do; one master cannot do everything. So forcing masters to be fixed means that you punish some masters because they simply cant do everything. The idea is to build your whole crew for each encounter, not just your minions.

Many masters dont have a problem with versatility, but many do, and the ones that generally do are the weaker masters in the game so all you are doing by fixing masters is making better choices of the already better masters.

At the very least, if you do fix masters, you should announce strats in advance to mitigate this issue; players will then know when choosing a master for the event that their master isnt going to stumble horribly on a flipped strat.

Sorry to rant in your thread, but so far it looks like 2012 is turning out exactly like 2011 with fixed stuff in all of the rules packs and its not how the game is designed; it really narrows down the field of playable masters, which is a shame for the variety that should be inherent in the game.

And im looming forward to this, just to be clear :)

Edit: typo in the last line, but im gonna leave it cos its kinda cool!

Edited by Calmdown

Ok, event pack updated: Core Strategies will be used. Still flipped for on the day.

We will keep fixed masters for this event, so as not to change things too dramatically. (TBH I quite prefer the idea of non-fixed masters but, after looking at a few recent event packs on Wyrd, thought that was the standard for tournaments)

Note to all, I have tournament record sheets prepared, these will be handed to everyone upon arrival. Also, while I am techinacally TO, I will not be managing the leaderboard or pairing players. We are running a WH tourney alongside this so the TO from that tournament will manage the leaderboard and do the match-ups for us.

I posted on the Titans' board this too, but going to post here as well:

Anyone going to this who will be travelling near/through Welwyn Garden City?

I'm weighing up about whether to attend or not, and if I could cut down on travel time and have a method to bring some extra Sarissa precision terrain, it would go a long way.

I have to admit, had it not been for me collecting a v2 Gremlinette card, the Fixed Master rule would have turned me off attending. You saw my whining over having to take Som'er instead of Ophelia because Som'er lets me take both, whereas if I chose Ophelia I couldn't add Som'er if I had to later on as she is a Henchman.

Definitely Faction choice is the strongest, and Malifaux is renowned for not being balanced to playing a single master.

Given some rules are still awaiting full clarification, who should I speak to prior to a game incase I think something will come up?

I see in your thread you have me down as playing Nicodem - I'll be playing McMourning.

---------- Post added at 07:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 AM ----------

Hamelin can

So can Kirai and the Dreamer. And most of the Neverborn masters, in fact. Let's revise my quote:

One balanced master cannot do everything.

Final leaderboard attached

Another big thank you to everyone who attended, it was a fantastic day. A special thanks also to Clousseau for your help getting it up and running and bringing lots of awesome terrain!

Hopefully everyone enjoyed it enough to want to come again. We will definitely run another event in the near future, although probably with a modified rules pack.

Congratulations again to the following people:

Calmdown (Ian) – Overall Winner

Sir_Shvantselot (Sheridan) – Best Painted Master

FrankTheGoldfish (James) – Best Painted Crew

Richi (Loxley) – Wooden Spoon

Ian, I need to get your £10 voucher to you somehow...

Until next time, over and out.

malifaux_results.doc

Edited by whitewizard

Thanks for posting the results, but I think that you've credited Adam (magicpockets) with too many TP as he lost in both round 2 (to Spike?) and round 3 (to me) - his DP & VP may be wrong as well.

It matters to me 'cos I'll end up above him for the first and maybe only time!

Anyway, well worth the journey and see you at the next one.