Looking to start a second crew

Hallowed1

So I'm fairly new to the game, I have a Rasputina crew started already, but I'm looking to start a second crew just for some variety in the games I play. I want a crew that is more complicated with more tricks than tina, and has a very different play style. So what would you guys recommend and why? it doesn't have to be in faction either can be any master. Thanks.

I would recommend Colette. Very different play then Rasputina, keeps you in faction even if not a requirement its not a bad idea. The models are simply some of the best Wyrd has ever made. The only down side to them is they are played by a lot of people if only because they are such a great crew.

"Shenanigans," indeed. I like Kirai, and the Dreamer (they're the only masters I run from their respective factions), however, (pause for effect) I'd recommend Mr. Moustache and his Merry Men (and Woman). Not only do they have a differing playstyle from Raspy, they can be used with most other Masters as mercenaries. Going into a "Shared Slaughter" game? Bring VonBadass. Going against undead? Bring VonBadass. Playing Malifaux? Bring VonBadass! :D

Hallowed1; if you want to have other people still want to play you casually, steer away from Pandora, Hamelin and Dreamer.

So what does that leave as tricksters; Leveticus (keeping your master alive, what a curious idea, why would you ever want that), Zoraida (why bother bringing killing power, you killing yourself so much funnier, and with Collodi you've got tons of movement), Lilith (no you don't see me, now you still don't see me, no you see me, oh wait your torso just got separated from your head, so I guess you don't see me after all)

Kirai and Colette are also very powerfull, but tend to rely on their crew to do the actual lifting.

Hallowed1 beat me to the punch, er I mean starting this thread. I am new as well and has Tina, too. But for a second crew I was thinking of going Litith, Dr. McM or Nico. Litith and Doc are more my usual play style in most table top games so I was wanting to be more casty and support and I like Nico because Zombie hordes are just plain cool.

I was reading about Kirai and Dreamer/Chompy and they seem cool but almost too mean to play when trying to introduce a new game to an area.

well I'm not opposed to picking up a harder crew to learn, I do already have tina who is super easy.

The local meta so far is: 2x tina, 2x lilith, kirai, ramos, collette, lady j, and gremlins. So I am also trying to expand the meta a bit too.

Edited by Hallowed1
spelling

I think Lilith is a huge departure from Raspy, but still not super complicated to play. Rather than snowly walking around nuking from a range, you zip around the board showing everyone a mother's love.

well I'm not opposed to picking up a harder crew to learn, I do already have tina who is super easy.

The local meta so far is: 2x tina, 2x lilith, kirai, ramos, collette, lady j, and gremlins. So I am also trying to expand the meta a bit too.

If you wanna change things up a bit... Maybe someone else from the Guild. Perdita can be fun.

Edited by Mirarii

The Viks are easy, with pretty straightforward tactics. They also work very well with VonSchill.

Leveticus is tough to master, but fun once you get the hang of him. (Especially with the 4 Horsemen list that will be complete soon.) He's the only Master you want to die when you're running him.

Marcus is also extremely tough to learn, but surprisingly powerful once you get the hang of him. Until you learn him, though, he may well be the weakest Master out there.

Perdita is amazingly fun, and will be more so once her avatar makes an appearance.

Sonnia is also pretty powerful, and likes to burn things. (Much like Kaeris.)

Hoffman is a good support Master for constructs.

Hamelin and Pandora are monsters. Extremely powerful when done right.

Out of those I listed, the only ones I don't have are Marcus and Pandora. I don't know much about Colette, the Gremlins, or Zoraida.

So from what I can gather, what you want out of your second master is the following;

1. It should play differently to Rasputina (who can be basically summed up as slow, with lots of ranged damage,

and Explosions!).

2. It should have a relatively complex playstyle

3. It should not be a master who's already used in your gaming group.

Based on that, I have the following suggestions;

Marcus

An in-faction choice to go with your Raspy crew, Marcus is the go-to guy for players wanting a challenge. He's very fast, quite flexible (he's the "Toolbox Master") and has a good variety of minions to choose from (basically any beast from any faction). People view him as the weakest master available, but as the likes of me and UKrocky will attest, this only means you need alot of forethought and finesse to do well with him.

Pandora

When I started playing Malifaux (back when there was only a book 1), I asked the forums which master had the most complex playstyle. The Answer I got back was "Pandora", and so she was my first pick. The way she plays is totally unique in Malifaux, sincxe she uses Wp-based attacks to hamstring enemy crews and deal bits of damage at a time, all the while pushing 4" almost every time she attacks or is attacked. Her defensive talent (basically win a Wp duel to target her) can be somewhat frustrating for newer players to deal with, but she's actually not hard to kill if you can find a way to get around it (clue: dealing damage with blasts & auras).

Zoraida

My favorite Master of all time (although Marcus is closing in), Zoraida is the ultimate Support Master. As is typical for the Neverborn she's very fast and hard to hit, but her abilities centre around disrupting your opponents crew and making other models attack each other (through a spell called Obey). She can also summon a voodoo doll that lets her cast spells on a single model without needing LoS or range, so she's quite good at keeping out of danger while she messes things up for your opponent.

A word of warning however: Zoraida's rules allow her to hire out-of-faction living models with Wp4 or less, giving her the largest pool of available minions in the game. Combined with the fact that she works well with almost any model you choose, you may find yourself buying ALOT of models for your Zoraida collection. That's what happened to me - about half of my 14 crews are there because they had models I wanted to use with Zoraida. ;)

Leveticus

Probably second to Pandora in terms of unique playstyles. He's basically a spell-slinging, death-dealing, abomination-summoning, one man apocalypse. But what makes him different is that he must die every turn to do all this awesome stuff. So long as he's got his hollow waifs on the board he'll come back to life at the end of the turn, but it makes for a very unique playstyle. You're basically playing a game of keeping the waifs safe while Leveticus ventures out to annihilate anyone in reach.

Levi can choose any construct, soulless or undead minion from any faction. It gives him a wide variety of models to choose from although despite what most people think, the inability to hire anything else actually gives him the smallest selection of available minions in the game!

---

The only other thing to add is if you're not interested in getting a ton of models, look at getting a henchman. Their available model pool is very small, so you don't need to get much before you end up with everything you could ever need. ;)

Levi is the complex master that I really want to learn down the line. Reading about his play style and the eternally shackled/ re-birth cycles looks soooo fun. He was the first model I saw when I first was looking at Malifaux and I thought he looked pretty cool.

There are just so many choices...