3 rounds – Shared Fixed Strategies.

Schedule

10:00 Shop open & registration

10:30 Round 1 (Treasure Hunt)

12:30 Lunch

13:00 Round 2 (Claim Jump)

15:00 Round 3 (Destroy the Evidence)

17:00 Prizes

This is designed to be a fun event to allow all players to meet up and develop the player base in the central belt.

V2 Rules Pack

EDITED: As a result of the ongoing league, the local players have developed a good grip of the rules and I have decided to change the SS cost from 25 to 30 and remove the fixed list rule.

Edited by DavidKerrSmith
Updated Event info.

Provisional Attending

1) Tattyted

2) Drew Fyfe

3) Alan Kennedy

4) Irving Kerr-Smith

5) Chucklemonkey

6) Chucklemonkey's friend

7) Malandres (provisional)

8) Euclid (provisional)

9) Kenzie

10) Kevin Finlay

There are a few more provisional players that have expressed an interest but nothing is confirmed.

Provisional Attending

1) Tattyted

2) Drew Fyfe

3) Alan Kennedy

4) Irving Kerr-Smith

5) Chucklemonkey

8) Euclid (provisional)

9) Kenzie

10) Kevin Finlay

There are a few more provisional players that have expressed an interest but nothing is confirmed.

Trying my damndest to get out of this bloody wedding!!! I even have a fun list planned out...will prob result in a lot of defeats for me (i expect about 2 lol)....

Updated

Provisional Attending

1) Tattyted

2) Drew Fyfe

3) Alan Kennedy

4) Irving Kerr-Smith

5) Chucklemonkey

8) Euclid (provisional)

9) Kenzie

10) Kevin Finlay

11) Steve Clark (Inverness)

12) Ewan (Inverness)

13) Archie (Inverness)

14)

15)

16)

17)

18)

19)

20)

Three points of feedback if I may:

If this was 35ss I'd travel from London for it, but 25ss doesn't give great games of Malifaux imho :/

If you're going to fix shared strategies and fix crews, you should announce them in the rules pack. Nothing worse than turning up to an event with a crew and being given bad strategies. Not all masters can do "all comers" lists and playing rock/paper/scissors for games kinda sucks ;)

"Filth lists not welcome" is something you need to define. The easiest way to do so is to ban Chompy/Hamelin/Kirai/Collette/Collodi. I've seen people call some decidely un-filthy lists filth, and it would suck to travel all the way and have your list called filth due to other peoples' inexperience :)

Cheers for the feedback.

One of the downsides to this is that you only see what is posted here. Not the pages of discussions and thoughts that are on the Facebook page for "Scotland's Malifaux players" where all the local players share their opinions.

I felt that 25 points was a good starting point. The LGS where this tournament is based is still in it's infancy regarding Malifaux. Some people will still have a single boxed set or single crew per faction and will have played less than 15 games.

It's perfectly possible that they might leap forward in the next 2 months and we suddenly change the format to incorporate this but I'm not holding out for that.

We have a big Warmachine presence at the store and I was waiting for the release of SR2012 to see how the changes affected the local view of the SR format. For the 3 shared events I wanted them to be different enough to SR format to make it memorable but at the same time welcoming to players.

Because we're still over 2 months away from the event, I really wasn't expecting someone to plan everything out just now and being honest, I wasn't expecting anyone outside of Central Scotland to even look at this thread.

However, at the start of March, I was planning to:

1) Make any amendments as needed,

2) Publish the 3 shared strategies,

3) Get people to confirm attendance,

4) Get people to email lists to me 1 week in advance.

Regarding filth lists: My main concern is that nobody leaves having had a negative experience. I understand that there is only so much I can do towards that and at times it will be like trying to brush water uphill (think about it for a minute) I was hoping to try and leave it up to the good will of players and the principle of "would I take this list against a new(ish) player"

I have drafts on my pc of formats for tournaments in May, July, September, October(convention event) and the LGS anniversary in November. The points will increase to the 35-50 bracket over time but this tournament is really meant to be a beginner event to bring all the players together.

Its gonna take us 3.5 hrs to get there.

Fixed Crews (Open OR Single Faction)

At the start of the Tournament, each player commits to a number of pre-made

Crews (noted by the TO) as established by the TO. Each Crew must have a

different leader. A Crew cannot be used a second time by a player until all

selected pre-made Crews have been used at least once.

From Gaining Grounds

Can someone submit 2 crews and use them both over rounds 1 and 2, then pick one to use in game 3? That would seem to lend them an advantage as they can pick the crew that best fits the 3rd strategy.

I'm asking now because I will only be able to fit in about 4 games practice and I've probably only got about a dozen games under my belt. I've got quite a few models to choose from, but I will probably stick to starter box or theme crews if that's the ethos of the event. e.g Bayou stuff for Zoroida, icy stuff for Rasputina, etc. Doesn't really matter, I suck pretty consistantly anyway.

If a list is too cheesey (more me wanting to try new models/ideas rather than smash people) I'd like to know soon so that I can practice with something else because, like I said, I don't get much opportunity for games.

Ewan

Edited by iamthefly

Regarding filth lists: My main concern is that nobody leaves having had a negative experience. I understand that there is only so much I can do towards that and at times it will be like trying to brush water uphill (think about it for a minute) I was hoping to try and leave it up to the good will of players and the principle of "would I take this list against a new(ish) player"

I dont think experienced players would be bothered about that, but it would be very aggravating to travel to a tournament and have to play *against* someone using the list you were told you couldn't bring, too. Experienced players can also have a negative experience :)

Much easier if you just do outright what you're trying to accomplish by banning certain things for fun factor. Most experienced players can advise you on an easy banlist (the ones I posted already, basically) should you need the help.

In any case, dont mine me... I'd love to come to Scotland and I'm trying to justify it to myself :)

Well i'd be worried to turn up with Lilith now!

Many people have called her/neverborn filth but its the Master i play, and have played since i started out 18 months or whatever it was ago.

Until rules/banning lists have been agreed or applied i'm cautious at attending, which is a shame because i really want to go :( I don't want to be made to feel bad at running the Master i love at a tournament.

Following a few conversations with the local players, it was felt that nobody would really benefit from a "friendly" tournament.

I think it all went a bit squint when there was some mis-communication around emailing the lists to me. I had no intention of vetoing anything. I just didn't want to have 20 sheets of paper getting thrown at me during registration.

As a result, there will be no restrictions on lists. This should settle any outstanding issues with potential attendees.

I'm a bit snowed under with college work and self assessment tax deadlines just now. I can try to make one but is there anything that is still a concern.

Edit: Self Assessment finished (yay!!!) Still got a college deadlines though.

Will try to work on a rules pack. Not sure what I am missing out on though

Edited by DavidKerrSmith

Rules pack v1

Feel free to point out anything I might have missed.

1) Tattyted

2) Drew Fyfe

3) Alan Kennedy

4) Irving Kerr-Smith

5) Chucklemonkey

8) Mark Bonatti

9) Kenzie

10) Kevin Finlay

11) Steve Clark (Inverness)

12) Ewan (Inverness)