The Road to Adepticon is paved with Corpses Rancor709's tourney prep

rancor709

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks all, Good to know apperciate the knowledge as I was under the impression that they were still eligble as they were not leading the crew. This is why you post this stuff, the more you know!

Never ceases to amaze me how many people get so many wildly varied things wrong in this game, and I want to kick myself every time I find out I've misplayed something. On the one hand it makes me think the game is too complex, on the other it shows the depth.

Update on progress please :)

Couldnt agree more, I hate getting rules wrong but malifaux seems to trip everyone up from time to time. It can be frustrating but it reinforces as you say the depth of the game. Working up a progress report more to come.

---------- Post added at 09:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 AM ----------

Progress update:

Hanged have been base coated,

Rafkin and 2 additional dogs primed

I'm working out color scheme on drowned

Need to pick up: Dead Doxy

I actually did some thought puzzling on using Seamus and molly based belle list in shared destroy the evidence as an alternative to night terrors, while interesting it is a might card dependant however could have some life in a fixed master tournament if one was hell bent on using Seamus in it. The practice was built more around the story encounters tourney which is more for a laugh and bringing out a more traditional red chapel gang appeals to me in that.

In the practice I've had with rafkin the fact he's neither nimble or walk 5 is exceedingly irrating, he's another slow average combat minion with a neat trick. He's feasible with Nicodem in strategies where you'd wnat a backfield bodyguard type for nicodem and as a way to preserve some corpses. the issues is creating those mindless zombies or in certain cases Guild Autopsies is that it takes all his actions, if this was a (2) i think it would have made him much more flexible beings he is only walk 4. Playing both with nicodem and Mcmourning with Rafkin, in a mcmourning list he cna't keep up with mcmourning, although you can get him enough counters turn 1-2 that you can make him interesting in the midfield. He's interesting and will see the field a bit but he's not a crew augmentor, and you have to build the list around his abilities. Mortimer I believe provides a bit more flexiblity, though at the end ofthe day taking either of them, I could just take 3 dogs and pocket a stone, more testing.

I'm trying a few new things with Seamus as well I can share with you if you are interested. I still feel he is one of the weakest masters in the game, and not competitive, but I love the miniatures and fluff so much I just have to keep trying.

One thing I'm also wondering about is the intent of Molly's Terrible Secret. I know the most solid argument is that it provides the :-fate :-fate only to Duels that involve Attacks (which are clearly defined), and Duels which involve the Df stat. However, given some of the rulings from the Marshals leads me to wonder about the intent of the spell. For example, the Marshals have clarified that Range is not equivalent to Rg, Damage is not equivalent to Dmg, and some other wording oddities in the Rules Manuel, especially on page 39, leads me to believe that the actual proper interpretation of the spell might be that a model affected by Terrible Secret gets the :-fate :-fate on any duel where they are on the receiving end of an Attack, I.E. any duel that is defined as an Attack would cause the model on the receiving end of of the duel to be making a Defense, but not necessarily a Df, flip.

*If* that is the case Molly *might* actually be a little more worth her price tag. I also agree that this interpretation is... shaky, and in a tournament situation I doubt I would rule this way. I also know that the definition of what is Defense flip is one of the issues that was asked a few times in the FAQ request thread that was on the boards a little while ago. I think however I'll be trying Molly for a few games with this interpretation in effect to see if it makes her any better. I'll keep you posted.

I tend to read terrible secret the same way you do, and I firmly hope that they rule it as such. As terrible it should be at least in my interrpurtation any duel they are the defender in. I think the old top Irishman has some fight in him, as does molly girl, but until a firm ruling is out, I wouldn't try it at a tournament. I appercaiate it as I get more work in with Seamus I'll let you know if theres anything glaring I find. He tends to work best when he can avoid battle and come out of the shadows on isolated targets which frankly most things in the game move to fast for you to set that up fully.

Well if it does work that way, aSeamus + Molly + swarms of cheap undead minions might be something that is a viable tactic. Also getting close to Molly with anything susceptible to Wp duels is a bad idea. Not only because if you are running swarms of Canine remains the opponent is going to get hit by Rabies at some point, but also because a Terrible Secret, followed up by a Shocking Truth is an almost guaranteed 3 Wds plus a paralyze, or an important VP giving model could be neutralized by a definitive Philosophy of Uncertainty. Again on paper, sure looks good, but in practice I really am feeling the lack of Nimble or Casting Expert on Molly, or extra action modifiers on really any decent Resser minion.

Yeah the lack of action modifiers on resser models is distrubing. I want some dawn of the Dead Style zombies you know ones that run super quick, they exist, they exists. I'd like to get something with the hitting power of Punk zombie with movement clost to night terrors at 5-6 stone mark. I think it would help the faction immesenly.

I've said it once and I'll say it again; Malifaux is all about movement.

AP mod are pseudo-movement. Most models, in any given turn, need to move before doing something; a move + 2ap of actions is generally what you'd consider "effective" in combat terms. Models without an AP modifier suffer badly. Then on the flipside you have Nicodem, who has an AP modifier, but often needs to spend TWO AP to move to his optimal spot because he is so slow.

Models like PZ have great hitting power, but no matter how good they are they can't save the fact that they're Wk 4.

I wasnt really going anywhere with this, was just a bit of a lament :P

I agree. I just don't understand why the Ressers have the lowest amount of models in the game with any sort of AP modifiers.

On the Punk zombie note, something I was finding, and granted it wasn't the greatest, is that a charge from the Punk is just about as good as a full flurry, mainly because even with paired 7 I very rarely ever get high enough to be able to cheat dmg with them. I can often hit, but even 3 hits for weak dmg is only 6 dmg. I get close to that with one charge for 5, because I get a positive twist on the dmg from a charge.

One list I was using with the Dead Rider had him go forward, pull back a model, and then my zombie would charge it and finish the model off. Rise and repeat.

Never ceases to amaze me how many people get so many wildly varied things wrong in this game

Yeah see the thread a few days back where people were like "You shuffle the deck after every turn?!?"

Anyways back to the thread. Joe are you getting prepared to lose to me! :)

Tomorrow the con is official 31 days away which means it start my official one month scramble to paint everything I need to play, demo with and get some terrain done.

I work best under pressure though

@ Joe and Nilus: I expect a full report on the goings on and BRs from your games.

@ Joe on Zombie improvement: to go along with the Zombie rush, what about something like from Left 4 Dead like a boomer where one guys could spew sludge and the summon a pack of MZs to swarm? Just a thought.

SHould be up by the weekend, this past weekend got eaten by having some much needed stuff done to house so editing had to take a back seat. But with game night being tonight. Tomorrow I should be able to get some editing done and hopefully I can get it out by the weekend if not over the weekend. Thanks for Listening and sorry about the delay.

Hey Rancor,

Just wanted to give you updates on my own Resser workings, as I said I would keep you posted. I had a bit of a marathon game session over the weekend, with 4 games total gotten in. Two of those games saw me yet again attempting to see if I could make something with a Seamus/Molly list.

First game was a 35 SS game vs Kaeris. This game saw me testing out some new combinations for aSeamus and Molly. I tried aSeamus, Molly, 2 Desperate Mercs, Punk Zombie, Sybelle, and a Rotten Belle. This game was was exceptionally bloody, with many of my models suffering unkind deaths as they met the awesome angel of destruction that is Kaeris. It was an exceptionally close game, but I ended up winning it, which, as it turned out was very depressing, as my opponent had done his math incorrectly and had shorted himself 5 SS, *sigh*.

The next night saw a rematch of our earlier game, this time Raspy also came along.

Raspy got Distract, and took Assassinate Seamus, and Sabotage.

I borrowed some Canine Remains from my friend and tried a dog swarm.

List I took was aSeamus, Molly, 4 Canine Remains, a Desperate Merc, Convict Gunslinger, Grave Spirit, and a Rotten Belle.

I got Plant Evidence, and took Army of the Dead, and Break Through.

The first three turns of the game were very depressing. Firstly I got no crows, save a 2 in my hand, and had no card valued over a nine for those turns. I also misplayed and, even with cover, ran up too far so that Raspy could begin nuking me. By the end of the second turn I had Seamus, Molly, a crippled burning belle, a burning merc, and a dog remaining. Seamus had also been walled into some of the terrain. By the end of the third turn only Seamus on half wounds, Molly and the dog remained, and I hadn't done any dmg at all to the opposing crew. My opponent asked if I wanted to continue, and inspired by Nix's latest podcast, I told him if he wanted to concede I'd have been happy to accept, he shrugged, looked a little guilty about steamrolling me, and we shuffled up for the next turn... where everything changed.

At the end of the third turn Seamus had climbed the wall and moved up into melee with two or three of the opposing crew, having already completed one manifest requirement. The fourth turn saw me lose initiative, and Raspy attempted to take Molly off the board, but failed to kill her. Seamus went, activated, and manifested... and the game turned completely around. Seamus buffed his Terrifying, used the Gorgon's Miasma, and used Bellowing of the Big Bastard, causing Raspy's crew to burn cards from to prevent Kaeris from running, his gunsmith cut and ran, healing Seamus, who then used his wicked strike to hit her, trapping her in melee, and triggering Brutal embrace, slowing her. From that point on everything in range of Seamus failed to ever rejoin the game again. Molly ended up killing raspy after hitting her with a Terrible Secret, hitting her with The Shocking Truth for 3 and a paralyze, and summoning Sybelle into combat with raspy, ultimately seeing Raspy fall to Sybelle's riding crop the following turn. Molly used the metric ton of CC lying around to ultimately summon an additional Dead Doxy, and Rotten Belle to plant evidence, and make a run for the opposing deployment zone. The game ended up being a close win for me.

I have to say I think a dog pack with Molly has some potential. It doesn't come in anywhere near as effective as any NB list I play, but it does at least offer multiple levels of synergy.

The dogs are fast, and together are significant, making objective grabbing much easier.

They provide great amounts of CC for Molly to summon Sybelle into the game, and help achieve Army of the Dead, If Molly doesn't use too many of them, which was a mistake I made, but I think I can be forgiven based on how utterly on the ropes I was for the first three turns.

With Molly's Terrible Secret Dogs and Desperate mercs become very dangerous, especially when you consider the -2 Def debuff the dogs hand out when in a pack.

If and when Seamus Manifests it provides multiple possible models to possibly take advantage of the Mark of Terror.

One of the things that I have noticed again and again, and was reinforced once more in this matchup was the hurtful lack of extra AP on almost all Resser minions. I looked at Kaeris, and still had trouble believing that for how amazing she was that she cost 1 less point than Molly does. Molly desperately wants to have Casting Expert, and I over and over cursed that she had Instinctual, with only (1) 0 action that reliably wanted to be used, instead of Casting Expert.

As a side note, this was the first game I've had, EVER, where Seamus' Avatar wasn't killed almost immediately after Manifesting.

Anyway, sorry for the long Battle Report, but I wanted to share the experiences of a fellow resser.

THanks for sharing Fetid,

Glad you been getting some work in with the old man little miss muffit.

THis is why you play it till time whenever you can. The dog swarm with molly and seamus is an interesting construction, I see potential provided you don't have a graverobber popping up on the other side. It nearly be worthwhiled for the dogs to attempt to hand out rabies as well dropping the wp of the opponents models for the rest of the game. Always things to consider. I'm home sick tonight when it should be game night at the store.

So i'm codifying more thoughts and trying to work a bit on the podcast editing.

As to the general lack of addtional AP, I compeletly agree on this one. Resser got the short end of the stick on these additional aps, I think fear that they can be brought back has prevented a lot of our models from getting them. No reason molly shouldn't be both instintual and a casting expert or heck I'd of taken reckless, I'd trade a wound on molly for fast every day of the week. Molly in general is the epitome of the flawed thinking in resser design. You make a model with some cool stuff it could potentially do and then make everything it can do require an additional high crow. Molly has 5 abilities that require a crow. Seriously 5 all of which you would want to do, could have thrown a tome or two on one of them? Its a bit frustrating, but I love the ressers as a whole.

Additionally NB will never be ressers and Resser will never be NB. NB are there own animal that I treat as something seperate from the other factions to be honest with you. As they don't suffer the same reliance that other factions tend to have on single specific suits.

You play ressers you know the pain of flipping of crow on anything but a crow based ability. THeres only 13, 14 if you count Red joker and we need every single one of those bad boys.