Through the breach - A tale of three gamers

Balefirestorm

Then I'm back with som more updates. I finished of Hamelins base.

312654_sm-Hamlin%20base%205.JPG

Started by painting the sludge in a purple colour and started building up highlights by using first pink and later on even white.

312655_sm-Hamelin%20base%206.JPG

I actually started with Hamelin before, but saved his updates till after the base was done. So now I will post the process of Hamelin so far :)

Started out with a grey basecoat

310834_sm-Hamelin%20WIP%201.jpg

Painted the skin in a mix of bone colour and yellow. And added a watered out wash of brown:

310835_sm-Hameiln%20WIP%202.jpg

For the first highlights I just added some more bonecoloured paint to the mix, and then adding some white to the top layer:

310836_sm-Hameilin%20WIP%203.jpg

For the next step I added some watered down light purple around the eyes and watered down blue mixed with bonecolour to the lips:

310837_sm-Hamelin%20WIP%204.jpg

Added the eyebrows using very dark brown and the eyes using almost pure back with just a small dot of pure white.

The trousers are painted in stripes of green and reddish brown:

310838_sm-Hamelin%20WIP%205.jpg

For the next step I added a watered out yellow wash to strengthen the sickly colour of his skin and highlighted the trousers:

http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/312656-Hamelin%20WIP%205.html?m=2

Finished painting the shoes:

312657_sm-Hamelin%20WIP%206.JPG

And chose the base colour of the coat. So far so good:

312658_sm-Hamelin%20WIP%207.JPG

Hopefully I will be able to put some more updates later today and maybe even finish painting Hamelin.

• Like 1

c0un7_z3r0 - I liked the colour since it will go well together with the glow effect I will be using on Hamelin himself, but also on models that are controlled by him (like the eyes of rats and the stolen).

ModollerMorgan - Thank you for the kind words :)

And as I mentioned earlier. A new update (it feels so good to actually be able to set aside a whole day just for painting and modelling). Enjoy ;)

The next step was to paint the coat. It can't be seen fully in the picture, but there's greater contrast to the light on the coat:

312837_sm-Hamelin%20WIP%208.JPG

Then I got somewhat carried away in one of those painting rushes and forgot to take any pictures along the way :/ sorry for that. But I managed to finish the model. Comments and critique is welcome:

312839_sm-Hamelin%20done%201.JPG

I just love the lighting on this one. Actually looks kinda creepy:

312840_sm-Hamelin%20done%202.JPG

and third picture:

312841_sm-Hamelin%20done%203.JPG

And since I was in such a flow, I jumped straight on to building a base for Hamelins trusty companion: Nix:

Step 1:

312843_sm-Nix%20base%202.JPG

Step 2:

312844_sm-Nix%20base%203.JPG

Step 3:

312845_sm-Nix%20base%204.JPG

• Like 2

Wow! Forget what I've said about green goo man, this looks fantastic! The purple in the base and the purple light effect along with how you painted the mini and the base makes it look really dark, damp, rugged, sickly, generally unpleasant and downright creepy! Great work! The new base is turning out great as well btw!

Im sorry but i dont like the pink sludge, its definintly not bad but compared to the looks of watereffects it does look subpar, otherwise the base and hamelin looks great. Striped pants are always cool!

A suggestion for you to balefire, when you take your photos use a white or lightblue paper as a background so the only thing in the picture is the mini, it will make for both a brighter and better picture :)

I made some progress last night to! Me and a buddy spent some hours painting and i managed to finnish my voodoodoll. Its not the best paintjob as it only took about 4 hours and there are some parts im thinking about redoing, like the ropes on him and the eyes.

Here he is:

picture.php?albumid=311&pictureid=1322

picture.php?albumid=311&pictureid=1323

picture.php?albumid=311&pictureid=1324

picture.php?albumid=311&pictureid=1325

Next up are a couple of wicked dolls, but i have a problem here, should i paint all of them in the same colour as the voodoodoll or should i paint each of them in a different colour like the studio paintscheme?

Let me know what you think!

I'd do them mostly the way you did the voodoodoll, except for one or maybe two pieces of clothe per wicked doll. this cloth I'd do in one colour of every faction in Malifaux per doll. so one would represent guild (red), ressers (green), arcanists (blue), outcasts (yellow). I wouldn't do the purple one...

c0un7_z3r0 - Thanks. Yeah, he does look kinda creepy :P And it's one of those models where I actually feel a little sad that I'm finished with it. Any more updates on your S.P.As?

Shockwave - Well I'd rather use a technique that I can handle to start with. Watereffect may look really good, but I've never managed to make it work. Somehow it always looks strange to me. And by using the green stuff, it more easily gives the feeling I want. And If I would like to form something out of the sludge, it's way easier than by using the water effect. That Voodoo doll looks cool :D

Edited by Balefirestorm

Shockwave - Looks really nice! About the wicked dolls, I vote for painting the different patches of cloth in different colors, different shades of brown or other murky colors. I do not like the "official" palette though!

I believe the purple sludge suits Balefirestorms goals really good (if I've got the hang of it that is)! It does do the trick in this case IMO. I'm not sure if you can get the same strong colors with water effects? I've never seen anyone that have anyway, but I wouldn't know.

Balefirestorm - Hehe, I've only felt that way about conversions so I believe I know what you mean! Its hard to let go of those little buggers! ;) Nothing new on my part really, except that I've removed the paint of the other three SPAs and will probably prime them and add some base colors today.

c0un7_z3r0 - The basic idea was to not make it all too realistic. I wanted to create a more cartoon feel to it and at the same time make it look unnatural. It is the same colour as the glow on Hamelin to simulate the contagion spreading from him and his "family". And as you said, it would be difficult to create that glow with water effects :)

It is very possible actually, you can do it with flourescent paint, its just a bit trickier :) But its up to the creator to decide what he wants to do with the bases and just because i wouldnt do it doenst mean that anyone else shouldnt do it.

Hmm i like the idea with the different faction paints, that could be really cool! Thanks for the idea guys and i agree with you modollermorgan, unique figures are way more fun :)

I have decided on what to add if we expand to 35 ss to, 2 effigies and Z:s avatar. I have such a great idea for her avatar that i have started working on but more on that later this week perhaps ;)

Tomorrow im gonna start painting the 3 wicked dolls that i have so expect an update tomorrow night!

Shockwave - regarding the dolls you can try and add some small detail (more than the colour) from the specific faction. Like a cowboy hat for the guild, some kind of arcane tatoos for the arcanists?

You mean as if the dolls were meant against that faction, as a woodoo doll?

I've been painting the flesh on my second SPA, will post some photos of it tomorrow!

Thanks for the feedback guys! Nice to hear thar you like what you see! I'm quite happy with it myself but, and now you might want to tell me to go to... well a very warm place beneath out feet populated by red-skinned fiends with horns and a sadistic approach to life... for being so anal about the flesh color. But I'm a little worried that they doesn't look very (un)dead, that they look to much alive. The minis themselves sure speaks their language, but does the paintjob do anything to enhance this? I'm leaning towards another round of some good old pain-stripping for these fellas and then do it all over again!

Edited by c0un7_z3r0

No c0unt i dont think you should redo them! If you dont think they look dead enough just try adding some glazes of sickly colors? Though i think they look mighty fine as they are now, and i agree with paddy about the jeans, they look awesome!

Im also sorry to dissapoint you two But there will be no cowboy hats on the puppets :) i have almost finnished painting My three wicked dolls and i found a nice way to separate them. Im gonna try to finish them tomorrow so hopefully i will be able to upload some pictures of them :)

I also got the rest of my crew in the mail yesterday so tomorrow i will also be prepping them and making bases for the whole crew :)

Stay tuned!

Im also sorry to dissapoint you two But there will be no cowboy hats on the puppets smile.gif
Now I'm dissapointed here. I had high hopes of seeing one of the dolls with a mighty fine cowboy hat.

C0un7 z3r0 - agree with Shockwave that you shouldn't redo them, but add some kind of glaze to them. Maybe some really watered out yellow wash might do the trick as well?

Hope to be updating myself today as well. Started painting Nix base and finished building the base for my first Stolen.

Im also sorry to dissapoint you two But there will be no cowboy hats on the puppets :)

:bawling:

Thanks guys, I'm just not sure about what colors to glaze with. I tried blue to make the skin seem paler but that did not do any good, I might try yellow as you suggests Balefirestorm though I believe the flesh-color already got a lot of yellow in it, although it might not show against the purple wash. I mean, it do believe it does look good as it is, its just that I'm not a 100% about it and since its not really what I was going for in the first place I cant seem to simply give it a rest... I have however tried a third approach (well more like a sixth or seventh approach actually, it's the third that you are going to see) which looks more like what I wanted it in the first place, I'll see if I'm able to post an Image of it later today. Though painting it was a journey between hope and despair... Soon ill just paint everything gold/bronze, wash it with devlan mud and claim that they are a bunch of those "human statues" that's common in some places :D

And about those jeans, they are painted in the simplest way possible, I'm almost ashamed :D. I've just painted Space Wolves Gray on a white undercoating and washed it with Asurmen Blue, and that's it! I wish the skin was as easy ;)

I'm looking forward to seeing the next update from you two, that will be great!

Edited by c0un7_z3r0