Kaled's Malifaux crews

Kaled

My Inquisitor stuff can be seen here;

http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t286/kaled100/

If you do want to get into Inquisitor, the following links might be helpful;

http://www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/

http://darkmagenta.co.uk/

http://carthax.wikispaces.com/

If I may say so myself, on that last one, the Frequently Asked Questions on the left is a worth a look for anyone interested in learning more about Inquisitor.

cheers Kaled I really do like the inquisitor idea! will doef look at the sites you have recommended!!

Edit; Kaled have you converted all the inquisitor stuff? and used non GW models? but you really do have some good stuff ! looking good!!

Edited by Normski

Edit; Kaled have you converted all the inquisitor stuff? and used non GW models?

Yes and yes. :) Pretty much every one of my Inquisitor models is converted in some way, and quite a lot were based on non-GW models. The larger scale also gave me courage to try my hand at sculpting a couple of characters (who I then festooned with stuff from my bits box to make them look a bit more professional). There aren't a lot of 54mm sci-fi models out there, but fortunately the GW aesthetic is more 'fantasy & historical in space' rather than sci-fi - and there are loads of good 54mm historical and fantasy models out there (there's a list on the Carthax wiki of 54mm manufacturers). The other good thing is that the 'heroic' proportions of the GW 28mm range means that a lot of bits fit perfectly on the more realistically proportioned 54mm models, so there's no shortage of parts for conversions. But even just using GW parts I'm still surprised at the new and interesting ways that people come up with to combine parts to create original characters.

And if anyone is interested in seeing Inquisitor in action - I'm running the fifth annual Inquisitor Grand Tournament at Warhammer World in Nottingham on Saturday 31st March. You'd be welcome to pop in and say hello and see how it plays.

And back on the subject of Malifaux, here are the next models for Collette's crew - Angelica & the mechanical doves. I'm still struggling getting good photos - I'm using a different camera to usual and am experimenting with a new light box, but haven't quite figured out the settings to get the best results yet. Hopefully you can get a good idea of how they look - and if I ever find the person who thought it'd be a good idea to paint Angelica wearing fishnets...

angelica.jpg

doves.jpg

finances will stop me coming to WW on 31st! shame though would love to see the mechanics of the game!!

Anyway!!

Angelica and the mechanic doves! (sounds like a band )!!

pretty cool ! I really like the star spangled stream coming from the tail of the dove! nice blanding !! and fish nets? crazy work!!

• 3 months later...

Evening all,

I stopped posting models here for a while, but I haven't stopped painting Malifaux models - and since I've recently joined a club and properly started playing I figured I'd resurrect this thread and bring it up-to-date.

First up are the last two model in my Colette crew - the Coryphee. As you can see I magnetised them so they can dance together or apart

coryphee_duet.jpg

coryphee.jpg

After that I went back to finishing Pandora's crew. First was teddy - I was really happy with how the tartan on his belly came out;

teddy.jpg

Next was the Insidious Madness. He turned out more purpley than I'd planned, but I think he looks okay.

insidious_madness.jpg

And finally for Pandora's crew - the twins Lelu and Lilitu;

lelu.jpg

lilitu.jpg

I then went back and added a couple of models to my Seamus crew - Molly and a Convict Gunslinger. I was really happy with these two - I really enjoyed painting the Convict Gunslinger and I think it shows in his paint job. With Molly, as soon as I saw the model I knew I wanted to paint her wearing a white dress. The idea was that it might have been the dress she was wearing when she was laid out in her coffin before Seamus resurrected her (, and also it makes her and Seamus look like a twisted bride & groom. White is always difficult to paint, but other than a few rough bits I can see now I've photographed her, I think it looks good.

convict_gunslinger.jpg

molly_squidpiddge.jpg

Finally for today is a Guardian to round out my Lady Justice crew;

guardian.jpg

I have just finished a couple of Dead Doxies and some Canine Remains, so expect an update soon. I especially want to get good photos of the first Doxy as I'm especially happy with how well she turned out.

As always, comments and criticism is always welcome.

Thanks for looking,

Dave

• Like 1

I've been following your thread for some time now, but I believe this is the first time I actually ever wrote here..

anyway, awesome crews (not just the latest post) ! I love the tartan on the teddy! can't wait for some new updates..

just one request:

could you take a photo of the bride and the groom together? I bet they look spiffy together :)

All of these are really good, especially like the Convict Gunslinger (and would definately say your effort shows thru, great job on him).

Though the Insidious Madness may have ended up more purple than you wanted, I must say that it is striking. It looks like something that is begining to materialize out of a swirling cloud of aether.

Thanks, glad people like them. My Malifaux painting has been invigorated by joining a club recently so my models should finally get to see some games on a regular basis. I'm concentrating on playing Seamus, so am working on expanding his crew at the moment.

The first two additions are the Dead Doxies. I really love these models - they're exactly what you'd expect for a zombie showgirl. Revolting yet disturbingly sexy at the same time!

And a couple of Canine Remains. I need to do a couple more of these I think - they were surprisingly fun to paint.

canine_remains_1.jpg

And for Demonn Agram - here's a picture of the happy couple;

seamus_and_molly.jpg

- Dave

• Like 1

Your painting is simply superb. I'd say which minis were my particular favourites but it would basically end up as a list of what you've posted so far.

I hope you enjoy getting some more games in! Everyone knows that having beautifully painted minis helps you win. *wink*

Definately think you hit the bride and groom look you were trying for with Seamus and Molly.

Those Doxy's look great as well. How do you get such depth in your reds and blues?

By the way, I like how you included several differnt colors on the coble stones, it looks so much more realistic that way.

How do you get such depth in your reds and blues?

Often I think people start with the red they want, shade it with a wash, then highlight up from that - and if they start with a bright pure red then they highlight by adding yellow or white and it ends up looking orange or pink. I tend to start with a much darker red, shade it even darker with a wash, and then highlight up to the bright red without adding any yellow or white. Only on the most prominent raised bits do I go any lighter (in the case of the doxy, I added a little flesh colour to the red for the top highlights). I find that gives me a much redder red than I'd have got if I added white or yellow to the highlights at an earlier stage. With blue it's much the same - start with a much darker blue than I want and go from there.

Afternoon all,

A couple more models fresh off the painting table. First up is a Grave Spirit - if you've read my blog you may have seen that I keep managing to get Sybelle killed so I pushed this guy to the top of the queue in the hope that he'll be able to protect her and give me a chance to see what she's capable of.

grave_spirit.jpg

Next up, some Night Terrors. Since I was painting the Grave Spirit I decided to do these at the same time as they have a similar stone effect on their bases. At first I didn't like these models much - I don't feel that the official paint job does them justice - but they're rather nice, especially the crouching one.

night_terrors.jpg

Next up - some Necropunks, or maybe the Dead Rider...

Hope you like them,

Dave

• Like 1