Mining Town Demo Board Project

Antiquitas

I think the pillars definitely have to go - i don't like them. I will probably make up some stone piers instead. The beam looks too modern as well so I need to do something with that... just waiting for inspiration.

The main thing was to get something knocked up to see how much room I will have for the Guild store, yard and water tower (although I might move the water tower to a different board and have a watch tower instead).

Because i make most of the stuff from 'scrap', final shape and size are often determined by what is in the bits boxes. I really enjoy 'recycling' but it plays havoc with the plans. I go looking for one thing in the boxes and find some else really neat and I've just got to find a way of including it.

That's the joy of the hunt!

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sketched out some ideas during lunch break for the Guild House.

As the Guild (tries to) control everything, I thought that I would combine the General Store with the Marshal's Office. I don't know how much room I will have on the board yet and whether I want this building to be played inside or not, so I have thought out the complicated version and will 'dumb it down' as necessary.

The Store has big windows at the front and a double door, counters and shelves and a storeroom that opens out to the yard. At the side will be the cells as the Marshal won't have the riff-raff upstairs. There is a walkway (low veranda) in front of the shop.

The Marshal's Office is opulent and has a stone chimney and fireplace, a counter or desk and a side room with the safe etc.

He has his own balcony so he can watch what's going on in the town. Rear access leads to the beam engine which he also controls as they own the mine (and the town).

Steps and platforms go up the side of the building to his office and the beam engine.

I know the plans are TOO ambitious for a gaming board but I like to get the whole feel of it before starting to plan how to build it.

So here's the rough idea:

Guild%252520House%252520Sketch%2525201.jpg

So what do you think? Should i keep it really simple or try and make it as interesting as possible?

I think you could use both the pillars and the beam as is. just add those rivets I asked you about like in the picture:

6215799277_871d5751dd.jpg

It will give it that end of 19th century look. just add some plasticard plates (or just card if you don't have any plasticard) for support...

antiquitas01.jpg

here are some examples I used for the rivets and trussed structures:

Resetke01.jpg

and the rivets were made from lentil:

Work10.jpg

or you can also make them using just PVA. Use a small brush (size 1 or 2) and make a small blob of PVA where you want the rivet to be. allow to dry and when drybrushing / washing it will look really cool...

1000.jpg

(and sorry for using my pics in your thread - just say if you mind :) )

edit: I was answering your post before and while writing you added the General store plans. I love them... and in my oppinion go nuts with detail! It'll look fantastic. and the board itself is going to be big enough for a fight so you can "waste" some space for storytelling through terrain :)

Edited by Demonn Agram

Brilliant idea with the lentils!

Now i'll have to go shopping tomorrow.

I might still replace one pillar as I want more room on one side, but I could just cut the tops off now and use the lentils! Thanks for the pics and ideas -real inspiration.

I probably will go mad with the store as I can move the beam engine across another inch and put a thinner watch tower in. Just want to make sure that the spacing is right and you can play all round the features. I don't want the board too crowded as the third board is designed to be tight.

Probably sleep on it (or more likely spend most of the night playing around with the board).

I Love what you've done in the pics - going to look at some of your threads to see more!

Thanks again.

The Micro Mark company now sells 3D rivets in O and HO scales that come on decal paper. You cut them out and soak them and slip them on just like decals, but instead of image they have plastic rivets on them. They are great for applying whole lines of rivets and make it very fast. The sheet also comes with a variety of circular rivet patterns. Check it out:

http://www.micromark.com/o-scale-decals-with-raised-3d-rivets-and-other-surface-details,9967.html

I had to work all weekend so I didn't have much time to get my hands dirty.

However, I have been thinking about the board and decided that the water tower can go for now

and have instead have a guild lookout tower with semaphore mechanism, brazier and bell.

CCF18122011_00000.jpg

Knowledge is power and communication is the key!

And on a festive note:

I was talking to a chap from Cork today about the dangers of drinking and driving.

He admitted that every New Year’s Eve he went out on a bender to celebrate, and he had always driven home afterwards.

However, last Christmas,

they had a particularly good campaign on the tele about why you shouldn’t drive your car even after consuming small amounts of alcohol.

So that New Year’s Eve, after an extremely heavy night out, he decided to take a bus home.

220px-Arriva_T6_nearside.JPG

Surprisingly, he made it back without any incidents but the next morning he couldn't work out why there was a bus parked in the driveway!

it's just the intro I needed to make a small suggestion... Leave the water tower. make it water tight and place the fogger machine in it.

88FC72C5.jpg

hide the power line of the fogger with a pillar of the water tower and drill a hole in the board - so you can power the fogger. I think you have the skills to make it.

when the board is done, you can pour the water in the water tower and turn on the fogger which will produce fog which in turn will flow from the tower onto the board and it will create an awsome effect similar to our City of death:

COD001.jpg

COD016.jpg

on a side note, I'll be puting some tutorial and step by step of the City of death board in Demonn's Lair some time this week...

Edited by Demonn Agram

Crazy - but I like it. Could be just the thing for No.3 Board, with the station (steam from the train), the grave yard and the desolate town-square with its gallows and stocks. Nice and eerie and lots of walls for it to curl round...

Okay - so who sells them and how much? What is the physical size of the heater unit? Is it 12v or 24v after the transformer (your power is probably 110v and mine is 240v) and how many amps does it draw. Finally does it use a Hazer or smoke fluid or is it making steam from the water?

I have some 12v miniature carriage lights and street lights saved for a board

and a supply of coloured LED's so i could make it interesting.

In the meantime, I have a couple of days off at last, so it's got to be full steam ahead with these boards...

Keep those ideas flowing... Your boards rock!

Cheers

first of all a little warning about the placement of the fogger. the fog itself will not lift. it is heavier than air. so the fogger has to be at least a little higher than the ground level of the board. We had that problem on our City of Death where we put the fogger beneath the ground level so we had to add a computer vent to blow the fog upwards. it took us forever to place it just right :) so don't make the same mistake... it was for that reason I suggested water tower...

price?

I bought the two I used (Pirate's Cove and CoD) in a Bauhaus as a part of a lamp...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSUtE_E5pkyBCtfz5TEbSsI8TC80BRyXLTbiJwFFvIcfeyUIIFl383KQuQ4

I believe they were around 20€, that would make them about 15GBP or 30$(if my math is correct). and afterwards just throw away the bowl because they are butt ugly :D

also, this thing shoots up water like a little fountain (about 2cm or 1"). nothing big but it would be good to have something above the machine, the water could hit because it improves the quantity of fog. I don't know why, it just does. I am an engineer by profession but I admit for the life of me I don't understand what kind of voodoo happens here :)

physical size?

about 7cm in diametre (3") with another 4-5cm wide (2"). just remember the fountain effect...

also, the water in the tank should be about half a cm above the unit!

power?

we use 220V AC. the unit has an adapter which changes the voltage to 24V AC. (so technically it is not a transformer since it doesn't change from AC to DC)...

one other thing, this unit usually has some LEDs on it (for the ambiance, I guess...). I painted them black and used varnish so the water doesn't desolve the paint..

medium?

it uses just water. as I said before the unit has to be submerged in water about half a cm. it then resonates (or something) which in turn rises the water like a little fountain (about 2 cm) and that produces fog. how? I don't know, and don't care, because it looks cool.. :)

if you're adding LEDs - then you'll need to transform the AC to DC. we had that problem on Pirate's cove. We solved it by using a Graetz bridge (which is a single-phase bridge rectifier). how it works?

graetz.jpg

The top graph shows the input voltage (it is alternate) and the lower graph shows the output voltage - which now varies from 0-the max.voltage of the unit (let's say 24V - the voltage of the fogger unit's adapter). unfortunately it has some losses (about 10%) so the output voltage is about 22V. to finally straighten the output voltage you have to put in a RC unit (resistor and a conductor). Fortunately for you if you are using LEDs - you don't need to. The powergrid has a frequency of 50Hz (in Croatia, I doubt it is any different in Ireland, right?). that means that the AC current sinusoidal wave 50 times a second (top graph). after changing to DC the frequeny doubles (lower graph) so it goes on and off 100 times a second (f=100Hz). what this means is that your LEDs will turn on and off 100 times a second and you won't notice a thing because human eye can't see that (it distingueshes up to 20Hz). what you'll be able to see is your LEDs on. :)

I just hope I explained everything right and you could undrestand me... :D

another thing, if you have questions about LEDs and connecting them and their circuits, just ask :)

Excellent stuff!

Electronics is not my field but I do dimly remember studying Wheatstone bridges at school. However, I do work with Henryk, an electronics genius from Poland, who would solve any problems I might encounter.

I can't find anyone selling the lamps locally (yet) but I found this link for a supplier of the units:

http://www.mainlandmart.com/fogger1.html

(Apparently they work on the ultra-sonic vibration of ceramic discs!)

A single unit is about $30, so I am going to keep searching the shops first - January sales might be a good time.

I can see now how it would work well in the water tower, as the mist is heavier than air and needs to flow down. Vents in the sides or outlet pipes, rather than having it pour over the top would stop the 'witches cauldron' effect on the board.

Hmmmm.....

one more thing, concerning vents in the side and pipes.

when designing those openings, make sure they are large enough because the fog tends to "stick" together if the permeability is to low and it won't flow out of the tower itself... (sorry for the lousy pics)

watertower02.jpg

watertower01.jpg

I would strongly suggest that you make te openings on the sides narrower on the inside than on the outside (like on the top-down pic) and also notice the shape of the barrier above the fogger - it needs to be concave in order to produce as much fog as possible. In our projects we just glued the thing that came with the lamp (it isn't visible anyway)...

and I think that pretty much wraps up the theory of the fogger... :)

you're welcome and good luck...

did you check Woodies - I think it's called, or some DIY stores?

I found one at [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Fog-Maker-with-Lamp/dp/B003PSN6PK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1324384141&sr=8-2[/ame] , however that is the american one, my computer at work doesn't allow me to view the .co.uk one... :( but I suppose they have something of the sort...

found something on ebay...

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Mist-Maker-Mister-Ionizer-Fogger-Fountain-Lamp-MM01-/180697679161

addmitedly, this sounds a bit too good to be true, but also:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-12-LED-Fountain-Lamp-Mist-Maker-Water-Fogger-Mister-/380328050947

that's 24$ and free shipping if I'm not mistaken..

I didn't get as much built today as I had hoped. This was mainly because, as Yazza kindly pointed out,

it is easier to draw the board than build all the bits and try to fit them in.

So today was spent mainly making paper templates, moving them around and trimming them to gain that essential 1/4 inch so the board is playable!

A major change to the design is to have the stream go under the Guild Store instead of around it.

This gives me a better positioning for the bridge and allows me to carry the stream through to the next board.

I wanted to have some stone walls on the ground floor,

especially on the cell-block and the 'powder' store and for these to have stone floors.

The rest of the building has timber frames and raised timber floors.

As this is a mining town, and not a quarry, the stone available for building won't be dressed and is mainly slag waste.

I had a roll of heavy crepe paper that I salvaged from my mum's craft room many years ago and this seemed a good opportunity to try it out.

I did some test pices and like the effect.

IMG_2728.JPG

The paper was stuck on with PVA, coated with watered down PVA when it had dried, sprayed with Chaos Black,

washed with Red Oxide acrylic paint and the dry-brushed with acrylic Neutral Grey.

I did another test piece the same, but without spraying it black, and it had a nice weathered mossy/mildewed look.

I think I will spray black the inside walls but use the weathered look on the outside.

I have the basics of the ground floor cut out now, and did a bit more work on the beam engine, so hope to see some real progress tomorrow.

IMG_2729.JPG

IMG_2730.JPG

Sorry about the poor quality of the pics - bad light and silly hour of the night. I will try and do better tomorrow.