Mining Town Demo Board Project

Antiquitas

At Last! Finally found some time last weekend to start building a terrain board for Malifaux. I've had the ideas brewing for about a month and construction is now underway.

The four boards are 18in square and can be used individually or together...more details to follow.

Here are the basic plans:

CCF13122011_00000.jpg

I will post pics of the project as it develops and would welcome any comments or ideas!

Thanks

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the encouragement. Project on!

I can lay the blame for this project on Mike (Tograth). He and I were discussing ways of demoing the game to new people to get them interested and enthusiastic. An idea was to have some crews made up (balanced in Soulstone points) of just a Master and a couple of minions to keep it simple. Each person picked a crew including Mike and he would talk each person through their options and help them as it was their turn. Five of us tried it out at Mike's house and it was fun.

http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26470

The next step was how to do it at venues.

We decided that the 'mini' games would play well on an 18" board and then two boards could be put together to allow two players with a couple of extra minions each to play each other, while Mike helped.

So I said I would start making him some boards for a Christmas/birthday present...

All I had to do was find the time!

Construction:

The boards are 4mm ply for strengh and lightness and the hills are made from high density polystyrene to take a lot of bashing!

I am consentrating on the mine board and the beam-engine pumping station board this side of Christmas and hope to get them done in time...

Here's the start of the Soulstone Mine Board:

IMG_2615.JPG

I have some old Hornby OO Guage track for the 'slag' rails and some very old O Guage clockwork train track for the branch line. The idea is that the branch line train brings in coal for the pump engine and supplies, and takes the rubble away for 'hardcore'. The minetrucks can dump into the carriages or into slag heaps.

Next post - The Drop Ramp

Next step was the drop ramp.

I wanted this high enough to take the clockwork engine underneath and also to allow figures to stand in the wagon.

It had to be sturdy enough for gaming so I made the frame out of 4mm ply. and pinned and glued it to the board.

IMG_2616.JPG

I then bulked out the support frames and started detailing it using candyfloss sticks. I painted the hill with a mixture of black emulsion and PVA glue to set a hard coat on it.

IMG_2619.JPG

The decking and chute were made from coffee stirring sticks and lollipop sticks.

IMG_2621.JPG

I want the mine to look used and slightly run down so the timbers and jointing are ragged and damaged.

IMG_2638.JPG

The timberwork will all be stained later to darken it up.

Next Step - the carriages.

Edited by Antiquitas
URL's to thumbnails instead of full pics

I want to have some pieces on the board that can be moved to change line of sight etc.

I raided my bits boxes and found an old Lesney tipper truck, a plastic HO guage train tender with one bogey still attached, and a clockwork Hornby wagon chassis with only one set of wheels.

I dismantled the tipper truck and tender and added a few bits of lollipop sticks and made the slag-truck.

IMG_2643.JPG

It will have some rocks in it and a few more details when I get round to it.

I found another axle and a pair of wheels for the wagon and carved out a basic shape for the coal heap and screwed it on.

IMG_2625.JPG

I made the sides out of more coffee and candyfloss sticks, keeping it rough and slightly damaged.

I thought it would be an idea to have a drop side so figures could get in.

IMG_2664.JPG

The wagon will be painted in bright colours and then weather worn, and probably have Guild markings on it.

Later...

Next step: Detailing the mine and making the stream.

Edited by Antiquitas

I have added a few fences, gates to the lower mine entrance and buffers at the end of the tracks.

The fences are made out of the candyfloss sticks, sharpened to a point, dipped in PVA glue and then driven deep into the polystyrene. Then they are clad in the coffee sticks and given a bit of wear and tear.

The gates are made from sticks from and old placemat and some coffee sticks and will be painted as rusty metal.

The buffers are both made from off-cuts of wood.

IMG_2667.JPG

IMG_2666.JPG

IMG_2672.JPG

I am trying a new idea with the stream. I have made the bank out of a thin strip of the polystyrene and shaped it. I want the stream to be rough and in full flow so I have textured the riverbed with 'Forget Nails' instant grab adhesive. I intend to paint washes of greens and browns, layering the colours, drybrush the high points with white, and then clear gloss varnish the lot to give it a wet look. The stream will drag some of te slag heap with it so that will be murky and discoloured along that area.

Sounds good in principle so I hope it works out!

IMG_2674.JPG

Well that's it so far.

Hope to do some more in the evenings this week and I will keep you posted on the progress.

In the meantime I have started work on the Beam Engine for the second board - next post...

Edited by Antiquitas
urls to thumbnails not main pics

I want to have a steam powered beam engine pump on the second board so I have raided the bits boxes and found an old wooden display stand (for the wheel), a copper pipe fitting, some washers and a paintbrush (for the pump) and a triang bridge girder, some toy bridge supports ,a curtain hanger, some dowel, a bit of MDF and an eye rivet (for the beam).

IMG_2677.JPG

Now i have to figure out the furnace, boiler, stack and drive.

Later...

Thanks for following my thread. I hope it inspires you to have a go at some terrain boards because they are great fun to design and build, and great to play on!

More soon...

Edited by Antiquitas

Here is a link to the pics that I have uploaded to Picasaweb.

https://picasaweb.google.com/101349816882171524792/MiningTownDemoBoard?authkey=Gv1sRgCO61scvtzKWPvQE

But I hope that someone can help me sort out the pics on the thread.

Cheers

Chris.

awesome buddy, thanks. Youre doing a bang up job and I wanna see all the cool little details :P

I want to have a steam powered beam engine pump on the second board so I have raided the bits boxes and found an old wooden display stand (for the wheel), a copper pipe fitting, some washers and a paintbrush (for the pump) and a triang bridge girder, some toy bridge supports ,a curtain hanger, some dowel, a bit of MDF and an eye rivet (for the beam).

IMG_2677.JPG

Now i have to figure out the furnace, boiler, stack and drive.

Later...

Thanks for following my thread. I hope it inspires you to have a go at some terrain boards because they are great fun to design and build, and great to play on!

More soon...

So I think I can help you :

IMG_2677.JPG

Edit your posts like this - there is a small icon to the right of the box - looks like A/A. This will convert your viewer to code. You won't see the pictures just the address in img tags.. then look at the address. your pics have somewhere in the middle .../s128/... this obviously regulates the size - just change it to /s720/... and voila...

also for further uploads, I think what you did wrong was that you took the link from the thumbnail pic from your folder (which is 128pixels) instead you should open your pic in Picasa and then copy the link...

I hope you understand my ramblings...

edit: oh, and cool board!!

Edited by Demonn Agram