The Road to Adepticon 2012

Tauwolf

Aaaaaaaand LaFemmeGeekita whooped me last night in another 1v1....

We used one of the maps from the pattern book. She brought a Lady J shoebox and I brought Pandora supported by a Gold Teddy that I gave a Purple Heart Patch (for it's Sprint ability).

Judge wiped my entire left flank clean before Teddy was able to get going. Teddy did manage to eat Judge and the Executioner in back to back activations before getting gunned down by Nino.

Baby Kade stuck Nino in a fairly harmless spot, but the early game damage was done and Lady J had the numbers advantage in the late game. My Nephilim made a valiant charge at the Lady, but Pandora was helpless to defend herself against the Red Joker of Doom, wielded by that damned Guild Austringer (refreshed just in time to save the win by the Torn Bandana attachment).

It was a fun game. All we had played - until this week were - 4-player games. I really enjoy the quick and dirty 2-player game. It's a nice change of pace. Now if I could just break this horrible losing streak!

Edited by Tauwolf

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh how the mighty have fallen!!!!

I beat LaFemmeGeekita tonight in a 1v1 game. Never mind that she whooped me so quick in the first game that we played another..... WHICH I WON!!! :)

:rock:

Her victory streak ends at something like 8. Jeesh.

Edited by Tauwolf

Whew.. sorry for the lack of posts, guys. I had to take a break from all of the stomping I was doing. And, since I've found my camera adapter, here is the mini I've been working on!

mousling.jpg

Obviously, it's not a Wyrd miniature. It's too cutesy to even been a Weird miniature. It's almost done, I've just got to do a few last touch-ups and then throw some dull-kote on it, and voila. Insta-dorable. Just wanted to give you guys an idea of my painting ability. Obviously nowhere near these other guys', but again.. I've painted less than 20 minis in my life. I'm pleased with the results, and, Tauwolf says I can touch the puppets now since they're all cleaned and based! I guess I'll have to start painting them instead of just using them to clean house..

Edited by LaFemmeGeekita
Fixed image link

Those are sculpted by fullborer himself! Send him a PM if you're interested in buying some.

LFG beat me to it - I did sculpt these and pressure-cast them in resin make more. They're 23mm, which fit quite nicely on the 1" (25mm) hexes of a certain puppish board, if I do say so myself.

and as she said, if anyone's interested in getting some for their minis - drop me a line.

FBM_23mm_planky_bases.jpg

Season's Greetings Puppets and Puppettes!

I’ve been marginally more productive than usual, but with less puppet-based work than I’d hoped. Nevertheless, Christmas is less than a week away, so I have a somewhat timely little puppet conversion to post.

As Tauwolf mentioned, I actually won my first game of Puppet Wars the last time we played. In all fairness, I won more by accident and good cards than any sort of plan, master- or otherwise. Puppet Wars requires you to go through the whole deck before you get to reshuffle, so there’s a significantly reduced chance of real craziness than in say, a dice-based skirmish game. But man, when the cards decide to be on your side, look out. I got to do pretty much whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. Tauwolf’s deck wasn’t remotely as helpful.

While running roughshod over his puppets, I coincidentally developed some respect and affection for the Ice Golem pawn. This was only the second time I’d used him. The first time he did very little – mostly standing on a flank and glaring icicles at my right-side opponent in a 4-player brawl - but this go-around he may well have been my Most Valuable Puppet. He was good while he was alive, he was good when he blew up, and he was good as an attachment.

Conversion ideas + sterling performance = spot on my Adepticon Puppet Crew and I starting converting him for the occasion last week.

The stock model is a little slanted, so I started by cutting off the lowest 1/3 of his body and re-seating the upper portion to make a more vertical, but still irregular, snowman. The Ice Golem puppet looks a lot like a mean snowman, so it was only natural to give him a top hat and call him Frosty. Serendipitous Bonus: the more pronounced putty button-eye looks a lot like a monocle with that hat. I swapped his arms for cut-down GW plastic dryad arms (looked creepier to me) and added a bit of putty for texture and reinforcement. Since I’d just realized what great range the Ice Golem has, I posed the arms to look like he was throwing something and inspired by the art; that something became a frowny-face snowball…

FBM_IceGolem_green_sm.jpg

Stay tuned next time for more wintery Wyrd-ness…

• 3 weeks later...

Happy New Year Puppets and Puppettes!

It’s not as snowy here as this miniature merits, but it’s been awhile since the last post and now that the new year is here, it’s back to puppish business as usual… so I bring you Rosebud the Guild Hound.

Game-wise, I’m branching out of my obvious “Tomes-only” Marcus roster to a barely-less-obvious “non-Tomes-stuffed-animal” option. I’ve found her Bite The Hand non-activation attack hugely useful and you get to use it again as an attachment if/when she gets hit on the nose with the rolled up newspaper of justice.

The non-Tomes thing hasn’t been much of an issue since she has such a low activation (4:rams) - I don’t think I’ve ever actually needed to use Marcus’s special ability to activate her (he said, jinxing himself).

Conversion-wise, this is probably what I’d consider a “moderate” level of effort (which is entirely relative).

I spent a fair amount of time trying to clean up the stock wheels on the little platform under the hound before getting sufficiently frustrated to consider replacing all the wheels (it seems a hard shape to cast and mine was less than perfect). Replacing the wheels became replacing the whole platform, which in turn became replacing the whole lower platform with a scratch-built sled.

I’m not entirely sure when the idea for this conversion hit me – we haven’t had anywhere near enough snow to see anyone sledding, but the idea seemed to fit pretty well. The board she’s standing on is a cut-down piece of planking I made for my bases – wood grained and ready to go. The runners are cut from ABS plastic sheet and the three cross-pieces are plain white styrene strips. The brass rivets holding the pieces together are pieces of brass rod – drilled, pinned, glued and filed. If that seems excessive, well… It might be. Shut up. :happypuppet1

I prefer to use ABS because it’s stronger, harder and IMO easier to cut and file into shape. Standard white plasticard is certainly fine – and I used that here because I didn’t have ABS that thin on hand – but it’s softer and more flexible, which can make it all too easy to mis-shape a piece or bend/break it during game-play. Not to mention I find it easier to see the gray ABS when I’m working than the pure white styrene. To each their own of course, but that’s my preference.

The curling front of the sled runners actually helped make this a more stable miniature – the hound’s head sticks out well past the front legs and before she was glued to the sled, she was constantly tipping forward. The sled eliminated that issue to the point where she doesn’t technically need a base. She’ll still get one of my usual planky bases, but I photographed her without one so the gray plastic and resin parts would be more visible.

FBM_GuildHound_green_sm.jpg

Stay tuned next time for Episode 4: “I’m not sure what’s next”…

Edited by fullborer

I really like your ideas. They make the figures so unique. I also like to mod figures to look a little different. You do a much better job. I also use rare earth magnets for arms, tank skirts, weapons, etc.

I haven't done any modifications to PW, other than the bases, yet. I am just trying to get them painted. I hate to paint my figures, I am not as patient with painting as with other things. I have a lot of paint on my most of my puppets, but still a long way to go in my opinion.

@ Bohemian - Thanks for the compliment. The vast majority of my conversions (and the ones I foist on my fellow painters) are more to make the minis more personal, rather than fixing something unacceptable.

Don't worry too much about the painting. I really enjoy painting myself, but its a necessary evil for a lot of gamers.

We see lots [and lots] of bare metal/plastic armies around here so I give you a lot of credit for getting "a lot of paint on most of your puppets" despite not liking it.

@ Lalochezia - Funny you should mention the battle report contest - we were talking about that earlier this week (still working to finalize my event Shoebox). The "plan" is to get in a little puppish combat this weekend and write up from there. We'll see how the game goes, but I'm not above filing a hugely biased narrative batrep if things don't go all that well...

cheers,

chris.

Gonna have the Adepticon guys send a note out but I figure I will post it here

For those coming to play Puppet Wars at Adepticon. Can you please try to bring your boards with you. The locals should have several to use but I am worried if no one bring them we might not have enough for the tournament.

That is unless Wyrd doesn't want to send me a few extras for free to use :)

Any thoughts from you guys on entering the battle report contest?

I've just posted my submission: A batrep in fanfic style. I hope you all enjoy it!

http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28100

I've been working on my Ronin for Adepticon. I'll post pics when I've got some more work done on her. I've been very busy with work!

Edited by LaFemmeGeekita

Also Puppet Wars tournament rules are up(not that they are complicated)

Basically the low down is(round pairing style is subject to how many people show up)

the first round will be 1 on 1

2nd round will be a 3 way

3rd round willl be a 4 way

Awards will be as followed

Master of Puppets(Overall winner)

Master Tailor(Best Painted Puppet Crew)

I thought this was a casual game!(Sportmanship award)

Rip and Tear Award(Most enemy puppets ripped apart)

The last award was thrown in because figuring out 2nd and 3rd place could be more complicated then I want to think about. It may still change if there are a lot of complaints.

Also Puppet Wars tournament rules are up(not that they are complicated)

Basically the low down is(round pairing style is subject to how many people show up)

the first round will be 1 on 1

2nd round will be a 3 way

3rd round willl be a 4 way

Awards will be as followed

Master of Puppets(Overall winner)

Master Tailor(Best Painted Puppet Crew)

I thought this was a casual game!(Sportmanship award)

Rip and Tear Award(Most enemy puppets ripped apart)

The last award was thrown in because figuring out 2nd and 3rd place could be more complicated then I want to think about. It may still change if there are a lot of complaints.

And it's "bring-your-own-crew" style, right? There won't be a puppet draft of sorts at the beginning of each match?

And it's "bring-your-own-crew" style, right? There won't be a puppet draft of sorts at the beginning of each match?

Right everyone is required to a bring one painted shoe box crew(8 + Master puppets) for the entire tournament.

Although for pick up games over the con I forsee many draft style games so extra puppets for that isn't a bad idea

Thanks for the heads up, Nilus. I'm sure we'll all be bringing at least one board. A couple of us may even have custom boards done by then, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that haha.

I lost my puppet groove a few weeks ago, when the holiday schedule got crazy. Hoping to do a little bit of painting this week, and maybe get a game in over the weekend to try to get back into the swing of things!