Outskirts of Malifaux - PIC HEAVY

Demonn Agram

as I said somewhere on this forum, I've a small problem with making terrain at the moment because I'm still in the phase of moving in with my GF and my hobby room is at the bottom of the list.

so all I can do is plan ahead.

this is my idea for the orphanage building.

it'll be cca 20cm high with a footprint of 15x20cm

this is the sketch of the ground floor

orph00.jpg

to elaborate a bit:

the green stuff is the garden - it will be large enough to fit a 30mm base in. stairs are leading up to the entrance (3cm high). the pinky stuff is 3cm off the ground level (which is yellowy) so you go left and down the stairs to reach the cells (for the bad little boys and girls). immediately to the right of the main entrance is the office (also 3cm off the ground level) with a table and a cabinet full of records. Take the stairs to the right and you get to the first floor...

orph01.jpg

once you're upstairs you'll se a plant to your right and a cage door so the kids can't wander around the building on their own. once past the cage, you're in the dormitory. lot's of bunk beds. on the only window there are bars.

also if you look up at the end of the stairs you'll find a hatch on the ceiling which enables you to climb to the roof

orph02.jpg

It is plain horizontal roof - with dirt on it...

and that wraps up the tour of the orphanage...

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll start with the top down views of the floors. one notice befor I start. the building will be placed along one side of the table so it will be made in one piece and the inside will be accessible from that side of the table.

roof:

guild02.jpg

a bit more massive fence on the roof than on the orphanage. designed to look more impressive... with a small shack on it - probably will be an elevator engine room or something similar

first floor (Governor's room)

guild01.jpg

first of all, marble tile floor. huge writing desk with a globe, a light, a couple of books. on one wall there will be a map of Malifaux. The box on the right is a book cabinet going straight to the ceiling. from the ceiling there will be a large golden chandalier hanging. Windows are huge made of glass. one door leading to the balcony, 4cm wide so you can play in it..

ground floor (McMourning's office):

guild001.jpg

this is more complicated. up the stairs, 3cm (pinky level) straight ahead are some stairs going up to 6cm hight. from the entrance to the right there is a door leading to the Morgue. go through the door and down the stairs and in front of you there'll be a table (50mm morgue base insert). On the walls there are "cupboards" with drawers holding the dead bodies. once down the stairs (yellowy level) you'll see a tunnel going bellow the stairs in the main hallway ehich leads to another part of the morgue. this has a stove/fireplace with a chimney leading out by the front entrance. there is also another cupboerd with bodies as is under the stairs.

the whole morgue is laced with Morgue accessories (from the set)...

that's basicly it...

a couple of more sketches:

guild021.jpg

guild011.jpg

Phew! Impressive and challenging, but looks very playable.

A nice variety of features in the different rooms - should be an interesting project to do.

So you've just got to get the decorating done (and convert the girlfriend) and then prepare the craftroom and then...

So we should see some progress soon...?

well, the craftroom is set (basicly) - the table is in place, the cabinet also and the showcase are there and the palce for my table is ready. but it is full of stuff lying on the floor because in the haste to redo the rest of my appartment I just crammed everything in the room.. might even take a photo to show you the mess :)

I hope everything will be in working order by the end of January... (but I won't wait to convert my girlfriend - if she hasn't in 5 years we've been together I don't think she will. I gave up on that project, if you will :) )

what I failed to mention in the above posts (both the orphanage and the HQ) is that the top down views are in 1:1 scale on the paper - that's why I used the milimetre mash paper. afterwards I can check everything by just pushing the model on the paper...

• 7 months later...

I can't believe it's been this long since I worked on my board... Anyway, now that IP is over, I have some spare time and it's about time to get back to working on my Malifaux board.

I decided to make some furniture for the buildings that are actually close to finish. That means work on the Gremlin Moonshine Factory (the wooden shed) and Sybelle's.

For that I'd need a couple of tables, barrels, lot's of beds, cupboards and nightstands.

well, I started doing the tables for the Moonshine factory and I came to the conclusion that to finish this board I'm going to need a lot of tables, cupboards, barrels etc. to do each of them individually would be murder. so I decided to make masters and molds - and to cast all of my furniture out of plaster.

101_1026.jpg

the idea is that I build just one table / one cupboard / one nightstand and to use Siligum and make a mold. Siligum is a two component mixture similar to Green Stuff. once mixed it sets within 10 minutes into a rubbery substance. The level of details one can get is awesome.

CPSIL.jpg

anyway this is what I managed to do yesterday:

table and cupboard:

101_1021.jpg

first you mix the two components

101_1022.jpg

cover the master and let it set for a quarter of an hour

101_1023.jpg

remove master from the mold.

Cupboard is the same method:

101_1024.jpg

101_1027.jpg

and I did the bed as well. It'll be a metal construction something like this:

Myspace-Manufacturing_42517_image.jpg

so this will be the mold - and for each bed I'll have to do the individual legs (plan is to use toothpicks)

101_1030.jpg

the furniture (masters) inside the whorehouse. the white nob is 30mm diametre and I'm using it for size as I forgot to bring any of my models with me to my weekend place in teh country :)

101_1031.jpg

Now it's time to use the molds. For casting I use Eberhardt plaster - it is strong enough and can be used to replicate even the smallest details.

101_1033.jpg

just pour some into a plastic cup and mix with water until you get a paste-like supstance.

101_1034.jpg

the crucial part of the process is to protect your workarea with some paper that has some nice looking ladies. Makes the work more plesant and the results better *grin*

101_1035.jpg

after the plaster is poured in, leave it for half an hour to set:

101_1036.jpg

remove from molds:

101_1037.jpg

batch 2:

101_1038.jpg

making batch 3:

101_1039.jpg

batch 4:

101_1040.jpg

all the four batches together:

101_1041.jpg

I did the four batches because the brothel has four rooms which all need a bed, a cupboard and a nightstand...

next up, probably some painting on the Hirst Arts tower and doing the moonshine factory inventory...

wow..

I know, some nice ladies *grin*

Awesome! Have you played at all with the brothel? How playable are both levels? Are you finding it difficult? Everything looks amazing - more pics as you get em please :)

It's pretty playable. the upper level has two halls that connect most of the rooms (one is the hall, the other is the balcony). So you can definitely run around in circles if you like. also, I'm planing to add a ladder to the balcony which will give it two ways to get up (stairs inside the building and the ladders ouside) which can also mean that you can go up, stay up or go down if someone is threatening you (in another words - you won't be trapped if you go upstairs for a bit of fun *grin*)

the downstairs level has also two entrances - main and the back - so it's also quite accessible. unfortunately, the saloon part has only one entrance (as well as the concierge's office). For that I had in mind a 1 action - break the window. to get out...

more pics will follow as the build progresses...

thanks!

lot's to do still!

hopefully I'll finish the Hirst Arts tower tomorrow (all except the LEDs I plan on putting in - so the belfry lights up and shows the 4 signs of Malifaux in the windows)...

then I think I'll tackle the TabletopWorld smithy (the old one that is OOP now) and paint it before I come back to the furniture.

I found that I can do better if I switch tasks regularly than to do a lot of menial and repetitive tasks at once.

Next up is the painting of the Hirst Arts Tower. Note the pretty ladies on the paper again! *grin*

the basecoat is deneb stone (old GW foundation)

101_1042.jpg

then I used Bleached bone, ELf Flesh, Vomit Brown, SpaceWolves Grey and Rotting Flesh to pick out single stones just for variety.

101_1043.jpg

After the paints have dried, I washed everything in Greyphone Sepia:

101_1044.jpg

Then I drybrushed heavily with Deneb Stone over everything:

101_1045.jpg

Next steps were: drybrush Bleached bone and drybrush Skull White:

101_1046.jpg

101_1047.jpg

Placing the vitrails with the Malifaux faction signs into the belfry (they were printed onto a piece of paper and xeroxed onto a plastic foil for overhead projectors)

101_1048.jpg

101_1049.jpg

repainting all the details in black:

101_1050.jpg

Painting the small roof tiles:

101_1051.jpg

just the details left to do.

Sweet! Thanks so much for posting this. I started a HA tower project a while ago but never finished it as I was fretting about being able to paint it up properly. This is an awesome example of painting up an HA project and between the pictures and your text you present a formula that is easy to follow. Thanks very much.

Later for now,

Tek

What are the bigger bottles of paint with white caps? GW foundation?

thanks.

those are Pebeo Deco paints. also acrylic paints, but larger bottles and a bit cheaper than GW. range is a bit limited and I use them exclusively for terrain work.. (they are a bit thicker than GW colours)