Outskirts of Malifaux - PIC HEAVY

Demonn Agram

Hi,

this is my latest big project. I'm building a table for my Malifaux games. The table itself is 125 x 125 cm (4'x4') but the playing field itself is 1m x 1m which I believe is enough for a good game especially when crammed with terrain. The idea is to have a board and detachable scenery (be it the lampposts, trees or buildings and hills)...

100_6751.JPG

After fixing the frame with screws and PVA glue, I then drew the outline of the terrain features (swamp, cobbled stone, desert and railway lines) on the board.

I made the stands for the fate cards. I used a balsa plank which is 4mm thick onto which I glued a strip of sponge 5mm thick. Over it all I placed a cloth which I fixed with staples to the balsa. I will not fix it to the board untill I am finished with the board alltogether.

100_6755.JPG

100_6757.JPG

I then proceeded to make small details on the board, such as railway lines, and other features cast out of plaster.

100_6769.JPG

I drilled holes in the board in the places where I will spill the plaster to make cobbled stone and other feature (desert...) for it to adhere to the board as best as possible.

100_6778.JPG

The bank of the swamp as well as the islands were sculpted out of clay (DAS Clay). Once the clay was dry, I glued the small magnets in the places where I planned the trees and the street lights to be. (I also glued magnets on the bottom of those features - so they can be removed when the board is not in use).

100_6786.JPG

I then, placed the newspaper over the playing area and painted the rest of the board black

100_6817.JPG

I finished the railway lines - painted it and glued it on to the embankment

100_6875.JPG

The desert part as well as the part of the town with the cobbled stone is made out of plaster (Eberhard Faber)

100_6880.JPG

100_6881.JPG

After finishing with the plaster (and allowing it to set), I then glued the texture (sand and gravel) with PVA glue.

100_6882.JPG

I started with engraving the cobbled roads onto the plaster and started undercoating the whole table. I used GW Roughcoat for the undercoat.

100_6884.JPG

Then came the painting. I painted the whole board using PEBEO Deco Acrylic paints. (black, brown, ochre, ash, white, grey.. I think that about covers it... )

100_6911.JPG

And this is what the painted product looks like:

100_6917.JPG

Afterwards I put the static grass onto the board. i used a couple of shades going from rich green near the swamp to almost brown/greyish near the desert.. I also glued various branches, bushes and the longer 7mm static grass in clumps in between cobbled stones...

100_6941.JPG

Next, the resin was put in. I used three layers. The first layer was richly painted with emerald green (Pebeo Crystal colour), the next was just tinted while the last layer was just resin. I used Gedeo Crystal Resin because it comes in two parts that are mixed in 2:1 ratio which makes it easy to mix.

100_6967.JPG

100_6970.JPG

I then proceeded to make terrain. I made a quarry (on the left), a brothel (big building in the middle of the board), a warehouse with a train depo (behind the brothel), a gothic tower (Hirst Arts), a small hut (for making moonshine), and a blacksmiths (TabletopWorld)...

100_7011.JPG

I still plan to make two further houses in a Victorian style. One will be a Guild HQ and another will be an orphanage...

That makes:

:button1Quarry and warehouse - Arcanists,

:button1Hut - Outcasts,

:button1Brothel (Sybelle's) - Ressers

:button1HQ - Guild

100_7015.JPG

I still need to make a couple of bridges between the islands and the bank..

100_7017.JPG

WIP of the brothel. the upstairs is removalbe.

Downstairs there is a reception, a gambling hall with a bar and a staircase leading up.

Upstairs there are three rooms to the front, one to the back an a bathroom in the back...

100_7019.JPG

Anyway, that's it for now...

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only have one problem with this board:

You don't live in America, so I'll never get to play on it. ;)

I don't know if you've heard, but there is a new invention - it's called an airplane :nod:. and believe it or not we do have an airport (not a big one, but planes do land sometimes

:bounce:)..

so if you're ever in the area, you're more than welcome to play on it... :)

thanks for the comments

I don't know if you've heard, but there is a new invention - it's called an airplane :nod:. and believe it or not we do have an airport (not a big one, but planes do land sometimes

:bounce:)..

so if you're ever in the area, you're more than welcome to play on it... :)

thanks for the comments

Tickets to Europe are pretty much out of my price range. I have a hard enough time buying my wife a ticket to Korea every year. :(

Let's go back to the begining of the project. When starting such a build, it's always good to know where you're going and where you want to be when finished. I made this plans / sketches (I hope they'll be usefull)

100_7402.jpg

(I changed the writing from Croatian so you can understand more easily). This was the outline for the board itself and as you can see it is almost as such now that the board is finished.

Some more photos of the current state of the board:

100_7011.jpg

100_6993.jpg

100_6988.jpg

100_6978.jpg

In the same time I was building the board, I was doing the buildings as well. Here are the sketches:

100_7403.jpg

100_7405.jpg

100_7406.jpg

100_7404.jpg

The only finished piece of terrain so far (with some of my models):

100_7010.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I've been thinking what to do next on the board and stumbled upon something soooo steampunkish that I will definetely incorporate it in the warehouse.

it's an Airfix model of a Beam Engine:

beamengine01.jpg

When finished it will look like this:

Beam_Engine-02.jpg

It is a kit 185mm w x 150mm h... I think it's just the size for my board...

and upon finding this, I stumbled on the next Airfix model - Steam Loco

steamloco04.jpg

It looks to me like something Ramos might be driving in his spare time... when finished it is 210mm w x 75mm h and looks like this:

steamloco01.jpg

:)

you'll be welcome here!

in fact, we had a member in our club from Minnesota (US Army guy) about a year ago. He was in rotation in Croatia because our army and your units cooperate in Afghanistan.. a year ago he went back to the States...

If you decide to come, beside my boards :), in Croatia there are other nice stuff around. To name but a few:

National Park Plitvice:

plitvice_lakes_apartments_15.jpg

plitvice2.jpg

National Park Krka Waterfalls

2.jpg

np-krka2.jpg

National Park Brijuni:

nacionalni_park_brijuni_3__big.JPG

National Park Kornati:

palmizana-kornati.jpg

Dubrovnik:

dubrovnik1.jpg

But there is also quite good ice hockey (for you guys who like winter sports...) KHL Medvescak who plays in EBEL league. Lot's of your AHL players (and some older NHL players) play here. These are the photos from last season when they played in Zagreb's Arena..

hokej_arena-543x253.jpg

arena.jpg

arena2.jpg

I know it's no biggie compared to the NHL or Russian KHL but for a country with 4,5mil people and only 85 registered icehockey players, to fill the 16000 spectator stadium in 4 games is no small feat. This year they play 7 games in the Arena, other matches (30+ per year) they play in their regular stadium that holds 6000 spectators and is always full...

(and no, I do not work for Croatian tourist board :) )

Edited by Demonn Agram

• 4 weeks later...

Am loving the work Agram-I have made a fair big of modular terrain but currently have no actual board to mount it on. There have been some amazing boards posted up on the forum, but yours has been great to see from a practical viewpoint as well as the aesthetic. Will be borrowing some ideas-I particularly like the cloth/sponge mounting for the cards!

A fair few of my friends have said how awesome croatia is to visit- I have always wanted to visit bt think I may have to try and get out there in the next few years- it looks stunning!