Random Malifaux minis for the boyfriend

Wings

Foxshade - I think I used GW Dark Flesh as the base coat for the hair, then adding Coat d'Arms Vampire Red (GW Red Gore), then GW Blazing Orange, and some yellow for the lightest points. It also got a purple wash to tie it into the other colours. Pretty much everything on her has purple in it.

Fettster - I know what you mean. She isn't pulling together at the moment at all. Maybe the fact that she isn't Batman related is disconcerting me... I think I'll leave her for a while and come back to her with a fresh eye. If you can work out what I'm doing wrong please tell me!

Soundwave - Thanks for the praise! :)

• 2 months later...

So for some strange reason finals exam term = far more painting being done. I've painted a grand total of four minis since my last update (the Rotten Belles and Leveticus), as well as doing a bit of editing on Lady J, but didn't manage to take photos of any of them before they were sent back home. But this week I've got through three figures! Displacement activity is a wonderful thing. :)

They all need a bit of work I think. Help much appreciated!

RustyAlyce.jpg

HollowWaifWIP.jpg

I've also been working on Miss Pack but I haven't been able to sort out the photos for her yet. I painted her in a sheer white dress and now can't get the lighting balance right at all. *sigh*

Thanks! I know I probably should have painted it a darker colour, but my boyfriend wanted her to be blonde when I gave him a list of options. I'll see if I can get it slightly more interesting as at the moment it's a little *too* fake looking. She's a really lovely model though.

You could try a very light wash and make it slightly darker and natural looking. If you wanted more fake, add some green stuff to her chest!

I still have to think up how I am going to paint my Miss Pack. Going to need a lot of orange in mine, as she is to work well with my color scheme. So mine will end up being a bubbly orange bimbo. Haha

Here's a WIP of the Zoraida Avatar. Since taking the photo I've painted the ground, the noose, and the bits of bare metal where the paint got scraped off in assembly. I probably won't manage to get a photo of it all completed for some time as she's being sent back home tomorrow as she is. But what do people think of how she stands so far?

ZoraidaAvatarWIP.jpg

first thing I noticed was the snake! it's excellent.

then my eye started to wander around and I started noticing other details. Her face is also great with only hints of "make-up" making her natural look... well.. look natural :)

overall great job!

and what a huge chick to the left. first I thought she was in front but actually she's quite a way behind the Avatar, right?

Thanks guys! One of my brothers used to be obsessed with snakes, so I thought I ought to paint a vaguely interesting one. This is a coral snake - we used to have a milk snake which looks almost identical except the order of the colours, and crucially isn't venomous.

Eventually she's going to have an area of swamp behind her - I've carved out the base to give it some more depth, but still need to paint that area and add the water effect. Can't wait to get back to her! I'll post photos when I get my hands on her again and finish off the base.

Demonn - That's 54mm Dragon Summoner from Reaper. I bought her last summer and I'm aiming to get her all painted up this term. But I've so many other minis that sneak in before her!

• 2 months later...

After a two month hiatus due to breaking my shoulder, I can finally paint again! Having so much free time all of a sudden yet being unable to paint was incredibly frustrating. I'm quite pleased with these given how little I could move my arm when I started painting again. C&C would be much appreciated, particularly given how rusty I feel. Sorry for the slightly dodgy photos. They look better in real life!

My first mini painted after the break:

Doppelganger.jpg

Pretty much all of our Neverborn have these KoRn bases.

I've based up the Zoraida Avatar but need to increase the contrast still:

Zoraida.jpg

Rasputina now has a base, but I haven't managed to take a photo of it yet.

RasputinaWIP.jpg

I've started Pandora.

PandoraWIP.jpg

And Lady J now has a base:

LadyJ.jpg

Lovely work all around. Looks like you didn't get rusty at all during your break from painting. I really like the way you paint clothes - very nice, smooth highlights. Some nice basework there too - Justice's is particularly impressive - very realistic effect.

KoRn bases are interesting and very nicely done but I have to admit I prefer more 'traditional' approach ;)

Very nice start on Pandora too - the green coat, hair and skin tone look great even at the WIP stage.

Keep up the great work and take care of your shoulder - probably needs some exercise after being in cast.

I'm with Viruk on the Korn bases, however the Doppelganger looks awesome!

I love how you paint the eyes on your minis as well. the clothes are also, as Viruk mentioned, great.

I agree with you on more contrast on Zoraida Avatar. perhaps a bit more colour to the base would do the trick... still loving the snake :)

Thanks all! I'm so pleased to be back painting again. I completely forgot about the broken arm when I started the Doppelganger - that is until I realised my arm had completely seized up. All fine now so should hopefully get lots more painting done. :) Positive feedback helps too. :)

@ Viruk and Demonn - I don't have any choice on the KoRn bases. It was my boyfriend's idea and he loves them (as long as he doesn't have to resize and cut out any images himself). They work quite well to give a unified theme without me doing too much, but I prefer more 'traditional' bases too.

@ Demonn - I'll take another look at Zoraida asap and see if I can get her looking as good as her snake. Colour is a good idea...

@ LonelyPath - the ? was so easy to do! I was amazed as I think it really makes the model.

I really recommend the Doppelganger to everyone. So much fun to paint!

Everything looks super awesome , nice work !

As far as advice goes your at the point where research of advanced techniques And blending will show you vast improvement . Usually this means practice and alot more layering , each layer showing the slightest of highlights or shading in the end its way smoother . Each coat being about 20 percent paint to water . Cool mini or not is a great site to research artists and find there blogs threw google .

Thanks everyone! All the positive feedback is much appreciated.

@FoeRender - I'm trying to start thinning my paints more, which is something I imagine I'll be doing more and more forever... I'll keep working on it!

@BloodDragonCC - I'm already painting a load of my boyfriends minis, and those of various friends! I hardly get a chance to paint my own things. :(

@Iamwyrd - I'm really happy with Raspy's cloak too. :) It took ages but it was worth it. Dullcote strangely made it look much better than it had with just paint...