Math Mathonwy's Alp thread.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in the process of disagreeing with Dolomyte about his characterization of Wyrd's employees when the thread was locked and I lost a very lengthy post. I have to say I didn't agree with what he said, but I was surprised as well that the response was a "Ok we're done" and a lock to the thread from one post from one member.

http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24615

I'm puzzled as to why the actions of another poster got the thread closed, rather than just admonishing the poster and demanding better decorum.

I was considering posting about it myself.

It's really sad when a solid thread with some ideas to check out gets locked because people turn it into personal attacks. >.<

Perhaps temporary bans would be a better moderating tool than locking threads. The later makes meaningful discussions difficult and puts the burden of rebuilding these threads on the community, with no warranty that someone won't turn up and spoil the fun again. :(

You mean like the thread asking about comprehensive rules that was locked for no reason?

I made a thread in off-topic about things just like this. Willy-nilly locking/over moderation. Whoever locks it should at least give a solid explanation for the action. Or let the nature of threads take their course. sooner or later they will fade and be nothing but a memory.

Perhaps temporary bans would be a better moderating tool than locking threads. The later makes meaningful discussions difficult and puts the burden of rebuilding these threads on the community' date=' with no warranty that someone won't turn up and spoil the fun again. :([/quote']

I'm all for locking threads when it's clear they've become a machine for cranking out personal attacks and ill will, but in this case, one poster's out of line statements resulted in collective punishment for everyone involved in that thread. "Thread Closed" is not a one-size-fits-all tool for dealing with forum issues.

I know the cards above my name is just going to make people think I am a company yes man but I agree with locking down the thread.

In the last few weeks these boards have become a lot less polite. Based on previous threads that they did let run longer after that last posters comment the thread was essential dead.

It would have degenerated into a bunch of people agreeing and adding to Wyrd hate and a bunch of people defending Wyrd. It would go on for 10 more pages and by that time the personal attacks would have become a lot worse. Easier to cut the head of the little snake before it grows into an Anaconda.

Perhaps, but that way we simply can't discuss difficult models anymore. There were issues like that back in the days of Pandora dominance, but in the end many discussions resulted in new ways to deal with her and in people actually learning how to oppose her.

Nowadays if you want this kind of input, you listen to Aethervox or Bayou Broadcast, because every thread degenerates into rants and usually rants by people who do not contribute new ideas to these threads. But great as podcasts may be, they don't offer multiple perspectives from players focusing on different masters and factions and as such don't result in any form of creative brainstorm.

And Alp Bomb is probably one Book 2 combo that does need some brainstorming to learn how to deal with.

You can discuss models all you want as long as the discussions are civil. When they breach the civility barrier, they get locked.

That is obvious. Some of us would rather see the offenders banned than the entire thread spoiled for us. After all, we can't prevent other people on the net from causing our threads to get locked.

That is obvious. Some of us would rather see the offenders banned than the entire thread spoiled for us. After all' date=' we can't prevent other people on the net from causing our threads to get locked.[/quote']

That's easy, Continue the conversation in a new thread.

The offenders do get dealt with. That isn't your concern.

You can discuss models all you want as long as the discussions are civil. When they breach the civility barrier, they get locked.

You're pretty much making yourself a catspaw for anyone who wants to get a thread locked this way.

Don't like a thread? Bad mouth Wyrd and get it closed. There has to be a better way to moderate.

You're pretty much making yourself a catspaw for anyone who wants to get a thread locked this way.

Don't like a thread? Bad mouth Wyrd and get it closed. There has to be a better way to moderate.

It's not about bad mouthing Wyrd. It's about civility in general.

People can, and do gripe about Wyrd all the time and don't get their threads locked. It's when a conversation (in general) becomes less than civil that it gets the lock.

It's very hard to moderate forums.

on one hand, he could have deleted my post and dealt with me without locking the thread, but there is a chance people who saw my post before he would have deleted it (only a minute or two, he was ninja fast), would have started a thread or two complaining about censorship.

Had he left the thread open others would have gotten behind what I had implied, though I daresay not nearly as crudely, and even more people would have jumped in on the opposing side, creating a giant angst filled thread derail.

In this case he chose not to censor what i said, but instead end that conversation before it got out of hand. there is a new alp thread out there that can be equally valuable to what that one potentially offered. so its probably best to let this drop.

Quite frankly, we allow ya'll to pretty much say anything you want on here, as long as it remains civil. Once you start acting like an asshat (yup, I said it) or you use that barrier of the computer between you and another individual as a reason to not be civil to each other, that is when you either get moderated, locked or banned.

You'll notice that there really aren't that many locked threads here. There are also a total of five individuals in five years who have been banned for behavior that doesn't fit with the board.

You are most welcome to holler that the game is broken, or that something doesn't work the way you want, that the artwork isn't to your liking, or like some, that the story and fluff is complete crap and doesn't have any place in the book. You are welcome to that opinion. We don't need you to blow rainbows up our backside, but at the same time, don't expect rude behavior will be tolerated.

And just because we don't weigh in on a particular thread the exact moment that you wish us to, does not mean that we aren't reading or debating amongst ourselves. We've shown in the past that we're willing to work on something when we've missed something, and admit when we've missed or done something wrong, but don't expect it to happen immediately or in your favor each and every time.

Be civil and you can talk all day. We do listen.

yeah in fairness to wyid they let us bag some of there less good models are sometimes broken rules with out cencre this was not locked froma some one bagged us angel it was locked it because they did so uncivilly.

And its often that a thread starts off well the question really gets answered the orginaol startes of the thread leave and all that is left are the flamers at which point it is justly a matter of time before the thread is locked.

that all said the use of forum locking should be frugal as one bad apple as they say can just come in and say i don't like this thread i know #^%@%@#%@%@# yey thread locked.

this all said there is litte reason to go into a nerd rage

It's very hard to moderate forums.

Speaking as someone who has done this on several boards I wholeheartedly agree. Often there is no right answer to a situation since whatever you do will generate comments and responses positive or negative.

I also think that Wyrd not having any official comment in threads like Math's is the best approach. They are hear to listen to people and posting a comment engages them in a public debate which can frequently turn sour.

I also think that Wyrd not having any official comment in threads like Math's is the best approach. They are hear to listen to people and posting a comment engages them in a public debate which can frequently turn sour.

Big +1 on this point.

The rules are what they are, the community gains nothing by Wyrd defending/explaining them. The best they can do is listen and take any possible changes and suggestions into account when they can. And when they can is not "immediately." Consistency is very important to a rules set, and it should not be modified on a whim, even if the change is good.

Big +1 on this point.

The rules are what they are, the community gains nothing by Wyrd defending/explaining them. The best they can do is listen and take any possible changes and suggestions into account when they can. And when they can is not "immediately." Consistency is very important to a rules set, and it should not be modified on a whim, even if the change is good.

I disagree, I personally hold companies to a higher standard.

I feel that wizards of the coast, specifically Mark Rosewater and the magic the gathering team, are probably the best gaming company out there.

They have not had to ban a card from standard tournaments since 2005 until very recently, when a disturbing trend of decks exploiting two cards showed up. They (the developers) discussed the issue with these cards with the community and internally, and not 3 months in to the cycle the saw the results and dealt with it.

The important part of my above paragraph is not that they dealt with the problem, its that they discussed the issue with the community and internally. They also a very open about those discussions in granted, not a forum, but in blog like posts.

I don't demand Wyrd change anything, immediately or ever, but when something appears in countless threads, a good deal of which get incredibly heated, a word from someone saying "we see what your writing, and are discussing it" (ala what Nathan said above.) are all I want.

I stand by what I said, even if I may disagree with how I said it. I think all of us would love for Wyrd to come onto the forums more, or even make locked posts discussing why they make some of the design choices they make. I know as a small company that is rapidly going thats much easier said then done, but theres nothing wrong about mentioning it. I by no means hate malifaux or wyrd. I am far more a supporter.