Control Deck vs Playing Card Deck - Combining the Two

Xander

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Twizz! I do definitely want a faded appearance.

As for Grim, yes, I think I am going to make him black, or at least a dark grey. I am not liking the purple as much as I thought I would. Maybe a faded grey-purple...

Yeah, I might add some more folds in the fabric of the robe and tone down the yellow.

Hrm...

Awesome thread, and fantastic idea! I had no idea you could get custom-printed cards and the mocks I've seen are sublime; my virtual hat off to you sir!

You asked originally if anyone plays with a normal deck. I do! I play a cheap pack of playing cards that I've taken a permanent marker to. So I've marked the front of the cards with the numeric Malifaux-values (J, K, Q, Jokers) and found a little scribbled short hand for the symbol.

Crows :crows - a simple cross

Masks :masks - a kind of squat, deformed H shape

Tomes :tomes - simple open book (offset square with a line down the middle)

Rams :rams - a curly squiggle

I've only played a few games, but the biggest draw of the "real" decks for me is the fact the symbols and numbers are the main focus of the cards, and therefore one less translation for my newbie mind to have to make. <del>If</del> When I <del>blatently rip off</del> borrow your idea and build my own deck, I'd definitely want the symbols to be made the primary focus so I wasn't having to go through the mental leaps of "does this symbol match that one, so can I activate that trigger?". Especially important when the miniature cards have tiny symbols on them and I've forgotten my glasses ...

Just off the top of my head, putting one really large icon as a watermark on the background of a standard, mostly transparent playing card (so the symbols shines through as much as it can without being obscured or obscuring the existing numbering and suite symbols), would fix the major failing of the playing-cards-with-marker-pen approach I use now.

I suppose another approach would be to drop the existing mali-suit over the top of the card suit, so you've got a duality of symbol in there (rather than remaking the mali-suit into a card, as you've done. Did I mention it was awesome? Because it is.)

Of course, once you're familiar with your deck, your crew and the game, it doesn't actually matter what cards you're laying down so long as there's a consistency about them. I'm just speaking as a beginner here :)

- Piete.

Awesome thread, and fantastic idea! I had no idea you could get custom-printed cards and the mocks I've seen are sublime; my virtual hat off to you sir!

I wasn't aware that so many online retailers did this either. It's pretty sweet that you can get a deck of 54 custom cards printed for 8 bucks.

You asked originally if anyone plays with a normal deck. I do! I play a cheap pack of playing cards that I've taken a permanent marker to. So I've marked the front of the cards with the numeric Malifaux-values (J, K, Q, Jokers) and found a little scribbled short hand for the symbol.

I wonder if my new logos could be etched or painted into existing cards. They likely could be using some white paint. But what an endeavour that would be! Printing my own cards sounds easier!

I've only played a few games, but the biggest draw of the "real" decks for me is the fact the symbols and numbers are the main focus of the cards, and therefore one less translation for my newbie mind to have to make. <del>If</del> When I <del>blatently rip off</del> borrow your idea and build my own deck, I'd definitely want the symbols to be made the primary focus so I wasn't having to go through the mental leaps of "does this symbol match that one, so can I activate that trigger?". Especially important when the miniature cards have tiny symbols on them and I've forgotten my glasses ...

Real cards are also just way cooler! ;)

Just off the top of my head, putting one really large icon as a watermark on the background of a standard, mostly transparent playing card (so the symbols shines through as much as it can without being obscured or obscuring the existing numbering and suite symbols), would fix the major failing of the playing-cards-with-marker-pen approach I use now.

Likely when I finish this deck, I will dabble with some other card designs, just for the heck of it. There are lots of cool ideas that could be used to make custom cards.

I suppose another approach would be to drop the existing mali-suit over the top of the card suit, so you've got a duality of symbol in there (rather than remaking the mali-suit into a card, as you've done. Did I mention it was awesome? Because it is.)

Thanks for the kudos. ;)

Of course, once you're familiar with your deck, your crew and the game, it doesn't actually matter what cards you're laying down so long as there's a consistency about them. I'm just speaking as a beginner here :)

- Piete.

Thanks for the long reply! Very helpful. I think one of the coolest parts about using cards rather than rolling dice is that anticipation when you are getting ready to pull a top-deck card. Just like when playing Magic:TG, a really good draw can be the difference between a roar of triumph or deflating blow.

I am really happy with my how my Jokers turned out. Drawing this Death card is going to suck, but look awesome doing it! Conversely, the drawing the Angel card will be awesome!

Here's the updated black joker with comparison to the original:

black-joker.png

black-joker3.png

Edited by Xander

Oops, no it should be at 85% opacity, which it is not yet! *fixes*

Thanks for the tip, and the kudos!

EDIT: Here are some v2 cards with the darker red, blood droplets and some white fade over top (more subtle than the Jokers -- it doesn't collide with the paper texture as much, more with the paint). Also, an Ace of Ram.

heart-ram-k_v2.pngheart-ram-a.png

Edited by Xander

I decided to lay out an entire suit to see what it looks like. Here it is, at a glance:

rams-a.pngrams-2.pngrams-3.pngrams-4.pngrams-5.pngrams-6.pngrams-7.pngrams-7b.pngrams-7c.pngrams-8.pngrams-9.pngrams-10.pngrams-j.pngrams-q.pngrams-k.png

I need your help in deciding how to do a 7. The first one shown seems to be the typical placement of the pips, but I made two others as well. 7 is unique in a typical pack because it's not quite as symmetrical as the other cards from 2-10. Thoughts on the 7?

Traditionalists, the lot of you! Haha!

No room for some creative dealing? 7 is such a unique card in a playing card deck, it's so weird that it's really the only non-symmetrical card.

Heh, well, it's not like every deck has to be the same anyway. Each person would be able to choose their own 7. Though, the runs the risk of everyone asking for their own tweaks to other cards! haha.

Hrm... what to do?!

Amazing work all round. I'm seriously impressed.

As for the sevens I'm going to go against the flow and throw up a vote for the non-traditional second one. I like the balance of it.

I also think a slightly deeper tone on the red could work. It looks a little bright to me, personally I feel a slightly more purple red might look better. But that's just a personal taste thing and could be my monitor, colour balance on this thing is rubbish.

:)

Edited by Darg

Hey! These are looking great! I like the style as it's progressed. The only thing that's been bugging me a bit is the "old cracked paint" look. It really isn't working for me as it's detracting from the artwork on the card itself and doesn't really seem to fit properly with the medium (i.e. ink printed cards). To my knowledge, I've never seen ink crack like that. Even on old vintage printings. It would seem that a "folded" wearing on it would work much better and span across past the art work and into the rest of the card too. Just my 2¢. ^.^ But like I said, I'm loving the direction in which they are going and I love how you solved the J, Q, K - 11, 12, 13 conversion and design where they can be read as either the letter or the number. Kudos on that part to no end. ^.^

Amazing work all round. I'm seriously impressed.

As for the sevens I'm going to go against the flow and throw up a vote for the non-traditional second one. I like the balance of it.

I also think a slightly deeper tone on the red could work. It looks a little bright to me, personally I feel a slightly more purple red might look better. But that's just a personal taste thing and could be my monitor, colour balance on this thing is rubbish.

:)

Thanks for the kudos! I liek the second one too. The arrangement of the pips makes a sort of 7 (and a reverse 7 the other way) which is neat.

I find that the darker the red gets, the less worn it looks, but I will keep trying to fine tune it!

+1 for the traditional 7 layout.

Amazing work - been following this thread and seriously impressed with you skills mate - has this all been done in Photoshop??

Thanks! :D

Photoshop and Illustrator. The suits and face cards are all vectors. The set of 12 face cards is a GPL licensed set of vectors available freely on the internet. I modified two of them to make the Jokers. I also placed them on my own card back. The suits were designed in illustrator as well.

All the raw components are then assembled in Photoshop at a very high resolution, 600dpi.

Hey! These are looking great! I like the style as it's progressed. The only thing that's been bugging me a bit is the "old cracked paint" look. It really isn't working for me as it's detracting from the artwork on the card itself and doesn't really seem to fit properly with the medium (i.e. ink printed cards). To my knowledge, I've never seen ink crack like that. Even on old vintage printings. It would seem that a "folded" wearing on it would work much better and span across past the art work and into the rest of the card too. Just my 2¢. ^.^ But like I said, I'm loving the direction in which they are going and I love how you solved the J, Q, K - 11, 12, 13 conversion and design where they can be read as either the letter or the number. Kudos on that part to no end. ^.^

Credit to Calmplains for helping me with the J/Q/k & 11/12/13 problem. I feel the hybrids are a bit enough reminder of their respective values while not seeming out of place.

While I agree in principle that paint would crack whereas ink would not, who's to say how the cards are manufactured in Malifaux? Additionally, the cracked could belong to the stamps that are pressing the ink in the way typewriter stamps deteriorate. This would partly explain why the cracks are all in the same place, heh.

The simple explanation is merely that I like the aesthetic. But, since I am using layer blending to achieve this effect, it's a simple matter of toggling whether the layer is used. I get the feeling that everyone is going to want their deck to be custom to their own sensibilities.

As for folding wear, do you mean like harsh paper folds? I suppose it could be done, but I doubt I'll go that way.

I think I agree with the cracked paint thing, need a more folded or worn look. Other than that they are awesome cards.

I've had comments on both sides of this, so who knows, if I am feeling generous, I could compile and assemble multiple versions.

Heck, I could even print off a set of blank cards of pure colours of white card stock! Then I could wear them down manually! ;) Oh the choices!

Thanks for all the comments everyone! They are greatly appreciated.