Control Deck vs Playing Card Deck - Combining the Two

Xander

So now that these are available for all to purchase, I don't have to be as hush-hush about them. Fun fact: it's been almost exactly a year since I first started this thread. :)

I want to apologize to everyone who waited patiently when I sort of disappeared from the forums! I had to sign an NDA with Wyrd, so I thought it best to basically cease posting on the Forum. I didn't like the idea of having to be dishonest about the deck, since I knew Wyrd would be producing it.

That said, I am very happy with the final product. I was able to use a more-or-less unique texture on the front of the cards for each card in the deck. Same goes for the size and locations of the WMS blood/ink stains. So that was a major plus.

Having the deck in my hands feels great. They are very slippery though, and I am hoping that the slipperiness with decease over time.

Does anyone else have the cards in hand yet? :)

I found this on YouTube:

:D

Edited by Xander

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really enjoying using them. I do a lot of handling with them, I'm practicing some Card Handling Tricks, and the slipperiness has gone away a bit over time. They are also holding up really nicely. I think I've done well over 1000 riffle shuffles with them and they are showing no wear.

Edited by Ratty

Huh. I remember seeing this thread quite some time ago. I kind of fell off the face of Malifaux for a while. Our group jumped back in recently because of a league with a guy we know becoming a Henchman. I saw this coming out and actually got to see one last week. Really sweet. I didn't realize that the retro fate deck was this project until just now looking at this thread!

I think that is pretty sweet of Wyrd. Some amazing work from Xander. And I cannot wait to get one! (Hopefully tomorrow!)

@DeadHyena: Assuming the cards are all aligned face-up, then they should be all the same colour. If they are not, that's something Wyrd should probably know about. Looking at my own cards, I do see some slight variation in the darkness/lightness on the backs.

@Dustcrusher: Awesome!

@Alviaran: Yep, one and the same! Cheers! :)

Mine just arrived yesterday and got in a game with them last night. Really like them, although there is that same slipperiness that the puppet decks have. One of the things that struck me as really cool (even more than the cards in general) is the way the numbers on the face cards were made to look like the matching letter on standard cards (at first I thought they were letters), ie. the 13 looks kinda like a K, the 12 like a Q etc.

Mine just arrived yesterday and got in a game with them last night. Really like them, although there is that same slipperiness that the puppet decks have. One of the things that struck me as really cool (even more than the cards in general) is the way the numbers on the face cards were made to look like the matching letter on standard cards (at first I thought they were letters), ie. the 13 looks kinda like a K, the 12 like a Q etc.

When I first saw the deck in my Henchman's hands I was a touch disappointed about the J/Q/K. Sigh. I have to remember the numbers correlating to numbers. Then I looked closer and saw they were highly stylized numbers.

I knew then I HAD to have one of these decks. Hoping to get one tonight actually. :D

@Geck: If you can't get your hands on a deck be sure to let me know, mate. ;)

@MudgeBlack / Alviaran: Glad you guys like the numbers.

The goal of the deck was to have as smooth a blend as possible between a Fate Deck and a Playing Card deck. The malifaux faction symbols are designed to look like the their corresponding suits. Spade-Crow, Heart-Ram, Club-Tome, Diamond-Mask. That is the actual translation scheme in the rulebook for using a standard deck of cards.

Indeed the cards 10 through 13 all use the same "1" which is stylized so as to blend effectively with a second number (1,2,3) and still look like the letters J, Q, K. Big props to Vexxus who encouraged me to come up with a scheme like this. He sketched it out on some scrap paper with a sharpie, and I then streamlined the concept.

You'll notice the tuck box even mentions that they can be used as a standard deck of playing cards. :)

Well, I won one of these in our league (choice for first place was between one of these decks and a Miss Demeanor. I already have one of her so I took the deck and let one of our newbies get the Miss Demeaner). I'm really liking it. One random little thing I enjoy is that while the background has a certain orientation, it is disguised enough as to appear symmetrical at a glance. This is good because it bugs the hell out of me for some cards to be upside down.

One of my friends also said he'd like one of these decks just for usual playing cards.

Cannot wait to be actually get some games in with this. Sadly, only one game before Gencon though. Gonna' be a slippery deck!